• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So really... What are your choices in the NC1 price range?

Porsche... let you build your car, for a price

It's more like Honda was too dense to get this concept into their heads when they did the Gen 2 NSX

I completely agree with this, particularly given how breathlessly Acura marketing spewed terms like "bespoke" when talking about NSX ordering. I do understand how limiting the configurations makes for efficiencies in purchasing from suppliers, manufacturing, etc. And that's okay for an Accord or an MDX. But at the price point of the NSX, and given how each car really is slowly and lovingly hand-built at the PMC, it seems to me like they could have offered a whole lot more choice to the consumer.

Exterior color is just one example--they should have dozens of color choices for the NC2. And honestly, that wouldn't cost them a thing since I learned at the PMC that the paint technician individually mixes each color from base pigments as each vehicle gets ready to enter the booth. They could literally paint an NSX in any shade a customer wants. Of course stuff like the andaro process takes more time and hence the price premium, but you see that with other manufacturers as well.

Yes on the extended warranty for the NC1. You can get I believe up to 7 more years after the first 4 year bumper to bumper. The Hybrid has its own 7 year warranty. On the 12C from MC check out Hoovies YouTube story on his car. High mileage will not save you. His car ended up taking two engines and two trans plus other stuff.
I meant to post this earlier but that post got lost in internet lala land evidently. I might suggest not looking to Tyler of Hoovies garage for any real ownership experience testimonials. He's a youtuber looking for views and providing entertainment. While it's very true that some early 12Cs went thru trans, had engine problems, etc, after following these cars for some time that's not entirely depictive of most ownership experiences.

Take a peek at this gent's channel. He depicts a 12C ownership experience that someone like myself will likely have and want. I'd like an exotic car but also want to tinker with it, do most of my own maintenance, and drive the pants off it. Very similar to how my 14yr NA1 ownership has been. This gentleman has driven his car about 15k miles in 2-3yrs after warranty and he itemizes all of his expenses (spoiler alert: it's shockingly low). He was able to add some ingeniuty, for example, by buying the same part sold by McLaren but say at the Ford or Porsche dealer for a fraction of the price. Pretty soon independents, like our beloved Ramon of Niguel motors will start popping up more numerously. They're already there for McLarens here in the Socal area. There will be a support group for these cars driven by the community I reckon like this gentleman on youtube.

I know this isn't the type of ownership experience most supercar buyers are looking for. I fully respect that, but it's one main reason, someone like myself would be interested an "old" 12C. On the otherhand, i'm also getting older and my back isn't what it use to be so a new car under warranty is also appealing. I know.. i've got demons to sort out :biggrin:

This video is worth a watch for those interested.
https://youtu.be/WTGjHLZ-bwU

Last edited:
At Honda, the issue with offering stuff is ever this and that has to go through validation.

Yes, the tech could certainly mix up a container of purple paint.

But before that could be allowed in production, the QC folks would have to establish parameters, conduct testing on the finished product, including long term stuff.

Remember, the first car built was stuck in the factory for a month until Honda validated the shipping.

In the end that had to change because there was too much variability across the truckers that first shipper used.

They also used to put some cardboard over the center console, then they found leather creasing in deliveries and stopped using that stuff.

The cars used to come without the fitted cover, then that was implemented.

Now imagine the paint shop at Gordon Murray Automotive. The customer wants puke green? OK, we'll call it cuke green and charge them $xx,xxx for it.

Let's assume you have $130k-$180k burning a hole in your pocket. I assume this is more or less the price range of an average NC1 new or slightly used highly optioned spec today. I did a quick online search for other cars in the price range. Here's what I got. Which others am I missing?.

I expect to be making an even trade for my NC1 on one of the first Z06's. I've driven a track-prepped C8 and it was awesome. Can't wait for it, and I've even grown to like the styling in person.

I'll never get rid of my '92 NSX though. My 16yo daughter is currently learning how to drive a stick in it. Fun memories because I got the car just before she was born. Every ride back then put her to sleep. Now, it gets both our pulses pounding when she's behind the wheel!

I expect to be making an even trade for my NC1 on one of the first Z06's. I've driven a track-prepped C8 and it was awesome. Can't wait for it, and I've even grown to like the styling in person.

I'll never get rid of my '92 NSX though. My 16yo daughter is currently learning how to drive a stick in it. Fun memories because I got the car just before she was born. Every ride back then put her to sleep. Now, it gets both our pulses pounding when she's behind the wheel!
I believe all that and it's all fine and dandy.. EXCEPT that your daughter is now of driving age!!!??? Oh my.. where has the time gone :smile:

I’m buying an Evora GT or super loaded Cayman personally.

The evora isn’t quite comparable to the NC1

I think the cayman (especially in manual trim) is probably the best new drivers car. Spyder RS would be neat, but again less like the NC1.

A manual R8 v10 would just about fit the Bill for me in terms of NC1 substitute.

But tbh there really isn’t an exact NC1 replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 2019 Vantage and *loved* it. Only sold it because the great lease deal still had me paying 40K of depreciation when I could have waited 6 months to get a slightly used car for what my lease buyout would be after 3 years. Have been considering buying one now that they are in the 105-120K range. Then again, an F type isn't a bad value either for 1/4 the price.

Rear suspension was a bit bouncy on the 2019 Vantages tho - the car was released before it was ready due to CEO needing the income to keep his future plans in flight. The 2020+ have better sorted suspensions since Matt Becker has had a chance to work his magic.

Tesla solved the performance issue from electric, but they are still struggling with range and charge. Perhaps fuel cells can solve that side of the equation (Elon poo poos it, but that's because it is a competitive threat to his product). Honda really believes in this technology and the NSX could be a great place to showcase what it can do.

I've had a Tesla and a Toyota Mirai (2016 and 2021), and hands down the Mirai (fuel cell) is much easier to live with on a daily basis, assuming you can get fuel where you are. Being able to "charge to 100%" in 3-5 mins like a petrol car overall is a much better experience (especially since I can't get charging at home), not to mention the lack of quality issues or problems getting service or someone to pick up the phone. It is hard to beat the Tesla in-car user experience IMO tho.

That being said, hydrogen has it's own issues with lack of infrastructure network and efficiency relative to BEVs, amount of water used in green hydrogen generation, but pros in terms of ease of energy storage density and space required for filling stations relative to a bunch of fast chargers. I think there's room for robust fuel cell and battery EV infrastructure, and hope that both will "win".

I've had a Tesla and a Toyota Mirai (2016 and 2021), and hands down the Mirai (fuel cell) is much easier to live with on a daily basis, assuming you can get fuel where you are. Being able to "charge to 100%" in 3-5 mins like a petrol car overall is a much better experience (especially since I can't get charging at home), not to mention the lack of quality issues or problems getting service or someone to pick up the phone. It is hard to beat the Tesla in-car user experience IMO tho.

That being said, hydrogen has it's own issues with lack of infrastructure network and efficiency relative to BEVs, amount of water used in green hydrogen generation, but pros in terms of ease of energy storage density and space required for filling stations relative to a bunch of fast chargers. I think there's room for robust fuel cell and battery EV infrastructure, and hope that both will "win".

I'm a big fan of the 2021 Mirai. I was close to buying one just last week to replace my Honda Clarity PHEV super commuter. Ultimately, I decided a PHEV or BEV was better for my use, and i'm pretty bummed that the H2 infrastructure just isn't quite ready in my area and for my uses. I'd say approx 2/3 of the H2 stations on my commute have been known to have problems. I've also heavily discussed how ownership is like in the Mirai owner's groups and i'm just not ready for that kind of compromise. Not being to charge at my work and/or home is a big deal when the H2 stations are so far and few between AND are usually crowded, often have supplies issues, and many don't fully fill your tank. I'm an early adopter for most things but I just couldn't for this.

SUCH A SHAME! The Mirai is an amazing driving experience honestly. I was very impressed with it.

Hydrogen powered vehicles are exciting from a technology standpoint but not very practical at this time. I was approved a number of years ago for several H2 vehicles, but found them wanting in terms of performance. It is not just an issue of setting up stations but also producing and collecting the H2 to provide the few stations with fuel. At the present time the fuel cell converts H2 to electricity so that the battery can be charged. From there the battery runs the electric motor. The technology is probably a decade and a half away. Straight forward electric cars are the best bet moving forward. Fast charging systems like those from Tesla can charge a car within around 20 minutes. That is the future. Porsche and Audi are also working on high current fast chargers.

Last edited:
POV comparison between a 600LT and a NC1.

https://youtu.be/QbcugMMSP2U
That was fun to watch. Hard to draw any conclusions as both drivers have totally different driving styles. At face value, it's interesting to see how busy the McLaren is to drive and how relaxed the NC1 was - again could totally be driving style as the LT was faster. The only objective comparison was how the LT pulled away in the front straight thru T1. Nice to see an NC1 out there at Laguna! I'm really curious if it will pass sound on a normal 90dB day. Most Macs do not.

Anyone know someone at Chevy? Looks like they’re 10 years behind and someone should call and give them a few tips. This didn’t work well for the NSX. Yes, the C8 is on a completely different price range but benchmarking it to a car that’s been out of production for about 6 years and two models back? That’s forward looking.

https://apple.news/AJ4IwOMDURbSrf_snjAT4zA

We don't really have sufficient context here

The 458 was the last N/A mid engined Ferrari and folks love them

The GT2RS is a barely street legal monster

correct they wanted to compare the NA 458 as it was the last of the breed for Ferrari..

The 458 was also used as a benchmark for the NC1. I know it's an old car by now but at some point when do you just buy a used 458 :D
This was mostly my point. The NC1 benchmarked the 458 then with delays it was released competing with the 488 and was outgunned.

Lots of C8 talk of turbos and/or electrification/AWD just like the NSX and the new Mac, yet Chevy is benchmarking the 458 (for this one driving test). I would have expected Chevy to go for the F8 or Pista, then be happy to get 80% there vs a car two generations old. This was just one test drive but the optics look goofy to me vs Chevy testing against the latest F-car or Mac. Set your goals high.

Maybe the 458 is being used to as a reference for steering and other driving characteristics

And what about the GT2RS in the story, that isn't a past tense car to benchmark against

Well, nevermind. Rumor is the new ZO6 is delayed a year or two. New plan is to get an Audi etron GT RS in the meantime. My wife and I like her new etron sportback, and have even taken it on a 1000 mile round trip without any issues.

There's a glut of Taycans in our area, but I'm not a fan of the styling (except the Porsche wheels are nicer than the Audi wheels). The Taycan would have to be black to hide the ugliness and I'm not doing black cars anymore! Hmmm....

I finally decided to pull the trigger on this.

My final list included Audi R8 V10plus, Ferrari 458, McLaren 570S/GT, McLaren MP4-12C, Porsche 997 GT3, and NC1 NSX. Luckily, I was able to have access to exotic car dealers within 75 miles radius that had various examples of all these cars I was looking at.

After test driving them, thinking, reading, testing driving again..., I narrowed the list down to McLaren 570S and NSX. And after some more test drives between the two cars, I finally ended up with a 2019 NSX.

Even though McLarens are amazing cars, I just felt most at home in the NSX. And I found myself really looking forward to driving the NSX. And despite how the media portrays the NC1 NSX and what the internet says about it..., I do believe it has every element/aspect of the original Gen1 NSX. I am very happy with the decision.

awesome...and fantastic that you did the homework!...updates when you get it home..What color/specs?

awesome...and fantastic that you did the homework!...updates when you get it home..What color/specs?

Thank you. It's already home - I have been enjoying driving it this week. I need to take some proper pictures.

It's 2019 Black & Black, 1 owner with many options: carbon brakes, carbon roof, carbon trunk spoiler, carbon exterior, carbon interior, carbon engine cover, Alcantara headliner, full leather, ESL... 6K miles, but climbing up quickly (I just love driving it)!

Last edited:
I finally decided to pull the trigger on this.

My final list included Audi R8 V10plus, Ferrari 458, McLaren 570S/GT, McLaren MP4-12C, Porsche 997 GT3, and NC1 NSX. Luckily, I was able to have access to exotic car dealers within 75 miles radius that had various examples of all these cars I was looking at.

After test driving them, thinking, reading, testing driving again..., I narrowed the list down to McLaren 570S and NSX. And after some more test drives between the two cars, I finally ended up with a 2019 NSX.

Even though McLarens are amazing cars, I just felt most at home in the NSX. And I found myself really looking forward to driving the NSX. And despite how the media portrays the NC1 NSX and what the internet says about it..., I do believe it has every element/aspect of the original Gen1 NSX. I am very happy with the decision.

Congratulations and enjoy it in the best of health.

Plus you will be able to drive the car whenever you want instead of taking your time to deal with McLaren service when XYZ goes wrong with it.

Back