• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So really... What are your choices in the NC1 price range?

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
Let's assume you have $130k-$180k burning a hole in your pocket. I assume this is more or less the price range of an average NC1 new or slightly used highly optioned spec today. I did a quick online search for other cars in the price range. Here's what I got. Which others am I missing?

Mercedes GTR (used), 4 dr. AMG GT 63, AMG G Class, etc
Porsche 911s (in various trims, but not the models we would want like the TT or GTs)
Porsche Taycan, Panamera Turbo or even a Cayenne Turbo
McLaren 570S or 650S (used with maybe at least 5k miles)
Bentley Continental (an older one)
Rolls Royce Wraith (an older one)
Ferrari California
BMW M models (the higher end new ones like the M8)
Audi R8 V10
Tesla S Plaid+
Maserati Levante Turbo
Aston Martin Vantage

You can barely buy a used 2018 911 Carrera GTS for <$140k. Those GTs really hold their prices.

To me the R8 V10 and the 570S, and perhaps a used GTR are the only ones that make sense in the price point. NC1 still seems like a great deal given the competition.

Agreed - 2017 - 2019 R8 V10+ sounds temping at that price range but I'd still choose new NC1... A dealer in TX was selling brand new loaded 2020 R8 V10 performance for $180K in December but used R8 prices are holding strong similar to NC1.

Last edited:
I agree that the Porsche 911 GTS is a nice car but it fits behind the 911 Turbo and 911 Turbo S. I would prefer a 911 Turbo S. You could find a used one in this price range. I think the 911 Turbo S is a better driving car then the Audi R8 V10.

I agree that the Porsche 911 GTS is a nice car but it fits behind the 911 Turbo and 911 Turbo S. I would prefer a 911 Turbo S. You could find a used one in this price range. I think the 911 Turbo S is a better driving car then the Audi R8 V10.

You can definitely pick up a 991TT or TTS but the car looks dated relatively speaking to 992. Plus, they look like all other 911s on the road. At least with R8, you have presence and rarity. I guess if you are willing to stretch yourself to $185K, you can spec out a new 992TT that will probably out perform most cars.

What else would fit in that price range?

Porsche Cayman GT4 (personally, it drives better than the 911 GT3 or GTS).
Low mileage air-cooled 964s and 993s are ~$100K-$150K.
Some used Lamborghini Huracans ~$170K-$180K.
Lotus Evora GT new ~$110K.
BMW Z8 with 30K+ miles ~$160K.
BMW E36 M3 Lightweight ~$110K-$130K nowadays (crazy) if you can find it.
Ferrari 458 Italia with 20K+ miles ~$160K.
Ferrari 550 ~$160K.
Ferrari F430 with 6-Speed ~$150K if you can find it.
McLaren MP4-12C is a real bargain and can be found <$100K.

At that price range, if it was my money, I would be torn among:

+ Gen 1 NSX with super low miles
+ NC1
+ McLaren 570S or 570GT
+ Audi R8 V10 Gen 1 with 6-Speed
+ Audi R8 V10+ Gen 2
+ Porsche 997 GT3 or 991 GT3
+ Porsche 993 S or 4S with low miles
+ Ferrari F430 with 6-Speed
+ Ferrari 458

I'd have to say of all the cars mentioned the NC1 is likely most reliable. Anyone think otherwise? Perhaps these days the Porsches come close but every year they seem to have some underlying issue (thinking IMS bearing). Though, I do feel that so many people buy that car of which the small percentage of owners tend to be very loud. We do have one DocL so percentage wise, it's probably the same HAHA :D

TBH, at that price range, I'd take the NC1. Only other one that maybe is even in consideration is the 458. The NSX is just so good at what it does tho.

I’m 6’5 so I’m limited to cars anywyas.

I already had a 1500hp GTR, hellcat and tuned X5M. I flew into Miami to buy the wife a 911 TTS. She was not a fan of the looks, but in all honesty I’d drive it 75%+ of the time anyways. Lol.

Well lucky for me, they had an NC1 right next to. She says let’s get that instead. I chuckled and said no chance I fit in it. I’ve had an R8 and a Huracan for a week before and just isn’t happening if I want to feel my legs after 20 mins of driving. Jumped in it and was shocked. Passenger side is incredibly right because of the shape of the glove box.

Well we left, hit south beach and a week later I bought the source silver fully loaded.

Very happy things went thy way, now I talk everyone I know into atleast giving it a chance. Told the local dealer have anyone interested call me and I’ll tell them why it makes more sense than anything out there.

FWIW, those 170-180k Huracans are all well into the 200’s post covid pricing. Want one with a warranty and your well north of that.

I know the itch to try something else. The 458 is the strongest contender for me, or maybe the 488. The MP4 is and has always been interesting and I suppose it's finally sorted, yet with a pricy yearly warranty and service. Same with the 570s. They still couldn't replace my NC1.

Really hoping for good things with the NC1 update as an option if I have the itch.

I'd have to say of all the cars mentioned the NC1 is likely most reliable. Anyone think otherwise?

The V10 R8s are pretty reliable, aren't they? The only somewhat common, somewhat expensive issue I'm aware of is leaking magnetorhealogical shocks, but that can be avoided just by getting an R8 without that option.

To me the R8 V10 and the 570S, and perhaps a used GTR are the only ones that make sense in the price point. NC1 still seems like a great deal given the competition.

I think that there's something to be said for the new Vantage. You can get it with a manual transmission, for one thing. And it has FAR more storage space than the NSX, which probably makes it a better grand tourer. I've also seen Aston Martin advertising $1,800 a month, $0 down lease deals on the Vantage, which makes it a (relatively) cheap option.

2019-aston-martin-vantage-coupe-black-mf-1200x800-%2814%29.jpg

The V10 R8s are pretty reliable, aren't they? The only somewhat common, somewhat expensive issue I'm aware of is leaking magnetorhealogical shocks, but that can be avoided just by getting an R8 without that option.

Exactly - I think if you get the US bound R8 V10 PLUS or Performance, you don't get the magnetic shocks. Too bad prices start going up on used R8s. Similar to NSX, buying new made more sense through end of last year.

These are gorgeous cars, esp with AMG engine. If it had AWD, I would seriously consider it.

I think that there's something to be said for the new Vantage. You can get it with a manual transmission, for one thing. And it has FAR more storage space than the NSX, which probably makes it a better grand tourer. I've also seen Aston Martin advertising $1,800 a month, $0 down lease deals on the Vantage, which makes it a (relatively) cheap option.

2019-aston-martin-vantage-coupe-black-mf-1200x800-%2814%29.jpg

The thing is the NC1 also uses magneto dampers, but perhaps the sample size is just too small to register any issues on a grander scale?

I recall these also have a high failure rate in the GM products. Then again, could be another Porsche IMS issue where only a small percentage of cars are affected. I don't know

You, sir are on my wavelength. Those are my top contenders as well. I'm also throwing a wild card in the bunch - a sorted 12C. I like to tinker on these cars. It's part of the fun for me and while a warranty is preferred at these price ranges, I could see getting into a 12C with cash on the side for a rainy day.

I know the itch to try something else. The 458 is the strongest contender for me, or maybe the 488. The MP4 is and has always been interesting and I suppose it's finally sorted, yet with a pricy yearly warranty and service. Same with the 570s. They still couldn't replace my NC1.

Really hoping for good things with the NC1 update as an option if I have the itch.

I have a hunch that, assuming no major showstoppers from AHM, we'll all be pleasantly surprised with the MMC.

You, sir are on my wavelength. Those are my top contenders as well. I'm also throwing a wild card in the bunch - a sorted 12C. I like to tinker on these cars. It's part of the fun for me and while a warranty is preferred at these price ranges, I could see getting into a 12C with cash on the side for a rainy day.
If I get something out of warranty I’ll do most of the maintenance - I have a fully outfitted garage with a lift. Yet sadly I’ve been crazy busy so taking the NSX to a local dealer for its yearly oil change is really easy and convenient.

It’s been forever since seeing it but there’s a beautiful blue 12C at our local cars and coffee (Hunt Valley Horsepower). Damn pretty car. See if I can find a pic.

f9c70276-d0a6-4525-9578-c0bb0d1abbbd

Last edited:
I think an updated well maintained 12C is compelling....but then my Acura dealer is 25 miles away and the nearest Mac is 110

Sounds good to me. Help me with the “MMC”. Seen it different times here, what does it stand for (other than refreshed / 2022 NSX)?

MMC = Mid-Model Change

Most car companies refresh the model about halfway through its design cycle. Honda pretty reliably sticks to about a 3-5 year MMC schedule, depending on the life cycle of that model generation. For the NC1, 2017+5 = 2022. :D

MMC = Mid-Model Change

Most car companies refresh the model about halfway through its design cycle. Honda pretty reliably sticks to about a 3-5 year MMC schedule, depending on the life cycle of that model generation. For the NC1, 2017+5 = 2022. :D

Not quite NC2 for [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION].

I think an updated well maintained 12C is compelling....but then my Acura dealer is 25 miles away and the nearest Mac is 110

3 miles from my Acura dealership and 350 miles for McLaren (Chicago)/390 miles (Philly).

No, thanks, and I’ve thought about a 570s in the past.

Not quite NC2 for [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION].

Lol I'm still holding out hope......like a Lab waiting by the door....

Back