• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What the F--k is going on here?

Hiroshima said:
-Treat people on these forums as if you were speaking to them in person rather than treating them like a telemarketer who is calling you at dinner time.

Finally, someone said it. Quite often it's those who are gouging at others online that wouldn't do so in person. Consider if that person were in front of you. Would you say the things that you're typing?

+4
I'll have to agree with Hiroshima completely. Hiroshima, Chromatose, and I have all been part of the NSX community for many years, and have met many great enthusiasts by following these guidelines. It is very sage advice that is listed below. The forums will be all the better for it if we can respect our fellow enthusiasts.

Hiroshima said:
+3

I have been here for the better part of 6 years, and was a member of the original lists before Prime and NSXPrime had a Forum. I don't post a lot and I almost never post to threads like this (commentary on forum etiquette, issues, etc).

I think two very simple things need to happen:

-Treat people on these forums as if you were speaking to them in person rather than treating them like a telemarketer who is calling you at dinner time.

-Try being constructive no matter what your opinion on the topic is. Constructive posts, even if it is going against what the OP said at least is not a direct attack.

A sense of humor does help, but I have seen a fair amount of very caustic statements tossed around on Prime that are not easy to write off to humor.

Just my $0.02

I'm new here, but I was actively involved in another online enthusiast site for another car that was underappreciated but had an almost fanatical fan base of owner/modifiers.

The same kind of low civility thing crept in at that site as well as the car aged out of being rather expensive to buy and modify, eventually to the point that I just stopped visiting the site at all. Now I have a $50K car that is worth $5K, and no community of other enthusiasts that I care to hang out with.

Frankly, the main reason I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on buying and building an NSX is that experience.

lrsudog said:
I'm new here, but I was actively involved in another online enthusiast site for another car that was underappreciated but had an almost fanatical fan base of owner/modifiers.

What car was that? By the way, the group here is great and I wouldn't let a few bad apples ruin this bunch.:wink: Its all about the cars.

The Kid said:
What car was that? By the way, the group here is great and I wouldn't let a few bad apples ruin this bunch.:wink: Its all about the cars.

The Old Ford Supercharged Thunderbird Coupe. Gigantic and ponderous compared to the NSX, but pretty technically nifty from the factory, and getting into the 10's and a 185+ top end was possible, while still being reliable (Not Honda reliable, mind you).

No exotic like the NSX, but kind of the same vibe for getting a relatively unknown car with good "Bones" to perform its best.

It's not so much the bad apples, but the seemingly innevitable demise of the core enthusiast's participation.

i am new here, in fact this is my fist day on NSXprime. and i thought it was grate that people dont just talk about cars. i know it is a site where you go to talk about them but it feels like a community. yes i agree that some people can be rude but pick on the ones being rude not the people who are just talking to other NSX drivers for fun.

lrsudog said:
Frankly, the main reason I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on buying and building an NSX is that experience.
Don't let that be the reason you don't buy one. Don't buy one because you like another car more, don't buy one because you would rather spend the money on your kid's education,.... but don't NOT buy one because the ownership base may be shifting a bit.

It is a great car, and the community as a whole is awsome. I have never met a more open, helpful, and close knit bunch of car guys who have a genuine appreciation for other makes and models of cars. Most forums you go to are so focused on their own car that they lack appreciation for others. This site, for the most part, does not fall into that category.

Cheers.

Don't get me wrong, the NSX is THE car that I jonz for at this time, but being on the backside of the curve of popularity and enthusiam gives me pause. Being an iconoclast sounds great, while everyone else is validating one's choices.

Still, if I come across that "10" condition black on black 2001 already modded to my preferences, I may have to take the bait...

lrsudog said:
Don't get me wrong, the NSX is THE car that I jonz for at this time, but being on the backside of the curve of popularity and enthusiam gives me pause.

Huh.. ?
Buy a car because you like it, period.

-j-

About the whole "NSX ownership base is shifting" argument - it may be true (since I'm a Newbie, I'm not one to know) but it shouldn't be BECAUSE the car is getting more affordable. It really hasn't. The first NSX I drove was in 2000, which was a 91 or 92 in good shape at a used car dealer in Denver. Cost? $32k.

That same car today + 6 years of driving and careful ownership? $30k.

Incomes haven't risen that much, but maybe interest in modding has grown dramatically and has drawn (otherwise non "NSX type" owners) out of the crowd to buy the car.

But, point being, it isn't price that is causing this change (UNLESS, all the new kids are buying the beater NSXs that are NOW availble for 22k...possibility).

Also, some of the old timers might know -- were the same "NSX is changing" complaints being made in year 2000 when it was 5+ years past its exotic-supercar heyday? Dunno.

drew said:
When posting here you should ask yourself:
1. Does it add value?
2. Is this a good question?
3. Has this been done before?
4. Am I helping?

If your post does not fall within 1-4 then consider it "noise" and go SOMEPLACE ELSE to post. There are plenty of other casual social sites out there that would better suit your needs.

Hmm.... I don't think more than 10 of my posts fall into 1-4. Opp's sorry. I did it again.

I do see Prime as a social site. I have met a lot of cool people here over the last few years. I look forward to getting emails from threads I have replied to. Also if you guys could quote me more that would be really nice. It makes me feel smart when I am quoted. :)

The search funtion is a valuable tool but I also hate to use the search. I can't see the value in spending lots of time sifting through a bunch of crap to find one thing that someone else may be able to answer in seconds. BTW the search funtion helped me to buy an almost perfect NSX.

Reposts: So often people get blasted for reposting. About 99% of the time I never saw the first post so the repost to me is like a first post.

Damn, I'm sure glad I've read all the 5 yr old FAQs and refrained from posting any questions in this "owners" forum that I have about the '95 I'm buying tomorrow afternoon. Clearly some very deep owner-related topics being discussed here :frown:

I took the time to read through the entire thread. Man...some of you guys could make millions by putting coal between your butt cheeks and squeezing it into diamonds.

steveny said:
I took the time to read through the entire thread. Man...some of you guys could make millions by putting coal between your butt cheeks and squeezing it into diamonds.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

As most of you know I typically avoid this type of thread, since I would rather stick to technical stuff:). But sometimes you need perspective. If you look outside the box sometimes you can really understand the good/bad in everything.

Anyway, to put post content on prime into perspective, read the responses at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.directionzero.com/2006/lotus-elise-dropped-from-lift/

If you read the responses to this post, you will be glad to be on NSXPrime. It is still the best car forum out there, period:).

JMO,
LarryB

steveny said:
You stole that line frrom Ferris Bueller! LOL:biggrin:

steveny said:
The search funtion is a valuable tool but I also hate to use the search. I can't see the value in spending lots of time sifting through a bunch of crap to find one thing that someone else may be able to answer in seconds.

Reposts: So often people get blasted for reposting. About 99% of the time I never saw the first post so the repost to me is like a first post.

I agree 100%.

The search function is a valuable tool but I also hate to use the search.

Deal with it. It is the reality and the future will demand more of it.

I can't see the value in spending lots of time sifting through a bunch of crap to find one thing that someone else may be able to answer in
seconds.

This rationale is that your time is worth much more than others then???

I have a lot of respect for other peoples knowledge and time. I ALWAYS assume that other people's time is more important than my own and I respect others enough to only impose when I absolutely must.

All of those posts that do not add (by your admission: your posts) to the Knowledge Base *is* the "bunch of crap" that you have to filter through. Such posts add to the noise...the crap...whatever... making the real knowledge hard to find--especially in the DIY areas.

Those in the know gain all their knowledge and ability to help others. They do this to further increase the KB by not spending time over old subjects (again, again and again), but to capture and group new bits of useful knowledge.

For those of you purposely Not Searching takes the valuable time of the actual contributors to endlessly rehash what has be done over and over. Maybe this time would be time better spent on new subjects and knowledge???

It is possible that the newer members, regardless of age, do not want deep understanding and just prefer easy quick answers to simple things above all else? Maybe this is the new way in an increasingly disposable-culture consuming society???

I think NSXprime needs a up mod/down mod system like Reddit or Digg to glean out the valuable information from the noise. Experts-Exchange is a good system that specifies what the correct answer is after the posts are evaluated by The Crowd.

I'd be willing to contribute to that effort.... I'm up for change.

Drew

drew said:
Deal with it. It is the reality and the future will demand more of it.

This rationale is that your time is worth much more than others then???

I have a lot of respect for other peoples knowledge and time. I ALWAYS assume that other people's time is more important than my own and I respect others enough to only impose when I absolutely must.

All of those posts that do not add (by your admission: your posts) to the Knowledge Base *is* the "bunch of crap" that you have to filter through. Such posts add to the noise...the crap...whatever... making the real knowledge hard to find--especially in the DIY areas.

Those in the know gain all their knowledge and ability to help others. They do this to further increase the KB by not spending time over old subjects (again, again and again), but to capture and group new bits of useful knowledge.

For those of you purposely Not Searching takes the valuable time of the actual contributors to endlessly rehash what has be done over and over. Maybe this time would be time better spent on new subjects and knowledge???

It is possible that the newer members, regardless of age, do not want deep understanding and just prefer easy quick answers to simple things above all else? Maybe this is the new way in an increasingly disposable-culture consuming society???

I think NSXprime needs a up mod/down mod system like Reddit or Digg to glean out the valuable information from the noise. Experts-Exchange is a good system that specifies what the correct answer is after the posts are evaluated by The Crowd.

I'd be willing to contribute to that effort.... I'm up for change.

Drew

I don't come here for answers I come here to piss people off. :biggrin: Looks like my objective has been reached. +1

I'm with Drew on this,but I also realize that my time spent searching for old topics is less painful than for newbies because using my keen memory:tongue: and long history on prime I can more quickly seperate out the salient old posts,,,,,but I am still spending my time doing it.

I did a search for wheels and tires and came up with this

Had I not used the search and just asked I would have found that this is now available.

Too bad I am now stuck with a bunch of obsolite equiptment for my car.:biggrin:

I sure wish I had just asked so I could get the latest answer to current technology.

Nice try Steve ,,now drink some milk.

steveny said:

Hah. yes... no question there, and well... given the choice between the two, it does start making the member posts on the SRO forums look pretty appealing!! At least the 15yr old can be brought around, is open to listening to new ideas, and won't... excessively moderate, critique every mis-spelling or re-post, compare your vehicle setup to that of a pro team, or pretend to be your dad.

But I am your father,,Luke.:eek:

Back