• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What year was your OEM head unit when it failed?

I have actually rebuilt a couple units successfully and one unit that was unsuccessful, believed to be a bad ribbon. They are not all rebuild-able as the ribbon cables go bad as well and cannot be found. They are time consuming as well. If anyone want to part with an old non working unit, PM me.

My factory unit was about 23 years old when it quite, after opening it up and seeing all the board damage I wasn't hopeful. But after about 4 hours time I had it going.

Its best to replace the caps before they go bad, this way the corrosive acid doesn't trash the main board and ribbon cables.
I have also done amps, CCU's all successful.

I got a 91 with 185k and I bought the car in 2012 with 176k miles and the cassette player is giving me issues currently :mad: I use a cassette adapter for my phone and what its doing is, I put it in and it tries to switch sides then ejects it after 10-15 seconds or so. Thinking of just going A/M.

Back