• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's the target customer's profile for the new NSX?

You hit a lot of good points here. You're right, the market is much more competitive now with tons more to cross shop. Right now, Acura as a brand is super bland. They are like the unmotivated version of Lexus. Lexus and Acura both use incredibly outdated tech ie. the same old 2.5L and drivetrain in the new IS250 but Acura takes it to another level. Seriously, a 5-speed auto in the ILX? Atleast Lexus is trying something radical in the aesthetic department. Honda needs to seriously start bringing more than jewel-eye LEDs into their new vehicles. It starts with advanced technology and engineering. If they can deliver a better product, the marque can rebrand on its own. Its much harder to take something lackluster and try convincing the public that its great. Honda is the brand you look to if you want drama-free, reliable and cost effective ownership. It didn't become that way because Honda waved a magic wand. It became that way because thats what owners truly experienced. If Honda wants Acura to be a certain type of brand, they have to make vehicles that deliver an experience that is associated with that type of brand. I hope the NSX is the car that does that but they have a mountain to climb... I'm staying optimistic though, the car so far looks great and has the technology that I'm excited for.

Just take the Civic Type R Turbo motor and put it into the ILX or a new RSX and call it day Acura... That baby NSX/S2000 successor can't come any sooner if rumors continue to prove true.

I disagree, absolutely and totally.

Ken I think there's one thing we can agree on.
Honda isn't courting anyone right now.

With a launch in January and no active promotion I can only reason that.

1) The ship has sailed and the Honda marketers are still on the dock

or

2) They have a large RHD order file from Japan/UK/HK and will start the plant up on those.

or

3) The production car is being shown in Detroit but North American (or world) deliveries won't begin until late 2015 and Honda has a big promotion set to go at the launch leading up to deliveries 6/9 months later.

What do you think?

This is an important point. This I do concur with despite the questions about the entire line looming over this model. It's easy for me to look at Honda and be mad at it, but guys, this car is going to be something interesting to any car guy. Not every car guy will buy it, but we're talking about a TT v6 rear-mid, with instant torque from electric motors, not to mention what should be an advanced AWD and handling set up and a well engineered DCT of 7 or 8 speeds. I think it will be a good car.

I hope that if Honda sacrifices a few tenths of a second on acceleration for the sake of delivering a real driver's car that people dont focus on these as shortcomings.

You have the right to be mad at Honda. I think a lot of people are rightly so. Which makes the new NSX, as low production as it is, a pivotal car for the company that will prove which direction Honda is headed.

Just take the Civic Type R Turbo motor and put it into the ILX or a new RSX and call it day Acura... That baby NSX/S2000 successor can't come any sooner if rumors continue to prove true.

What I predict is that after the NSX, Honda will announce a smaller RWD sportscar to rival the BRZ and Miata. If they have any balls whatsoever, they will do this. The Toyoburu proved that there is a huge demographic of car people out there that are desperately in need of a cheap, lightweight, RWD coupe that isn't 15 years old. Its a huge potential market for Honda especially with the pedigree they have in the car community.

Last edited:
Ken I think there's one thing we can agree on.
Honda isn't courting anyone right now.

With a launch in January and no active promotion I can only reason that.

1) The ship has sailed and the Honda marketers are still on the dock

or

2) They have a large RHD order file from Japan/UK/HK and will start the plant up on those.

or

3) The production car is being shown in Detroit but North American (or world) deliveries won't begin until late 2015 and Honda has a big promotion set to go at the launch leading up to deliveries 6/9 months later.

What do you think?

They are not courting anyone because there is no car. Not sure what you expect Honda to do. Until the car is officially announced, there is nothing to sell. Until a production version is shown, price announced, and shipping date announced, there is nothing anyone can sell. Can we at least wait until the car actually exists before we start to criticize Honda's marketing?

They are not courting anyone because there is no car. Not sure what you expect Honda to do. Until the car is officially announced, there is nothing to sell. Until a production version is shown, price announced, and shipping date announced, there is nothing anyone can sell. Can we at least wait until the car actually exists before we start to criticize Honda's marketing?
Not really because marketing happens well before the production release of a vehicle..

They are doing marketing. The car is featured on Acura's website. The concepts have been displayed at shows. So what more do you think they should do? Approach potential customers to buy vaporware?

Why would they need to court anyone though? Provided that in actuality that is the case and they are not marketing it or have plans to, why would they need to?

There is pent up demand for the NSX 2.0 that is only intensifying. Buyers are coming to them. And the car isn't even released yet. Marketing affects top line revenue but has diminishing returns if poorly timed and/or ill conceived…so why would they launch a giant marketing campaign on a car in which few details have been made known and won't be sold for at least several months? Why waste all of that pent up tension on programs that can quickly turn sour and negative if the car doesn't meet pre-conceived ideas of a few previous model owners?

They are doing marketing. The car is featured on Acura's website. The concepts have been displayed at shows. So what more do you think they should do? Approach potential customers to buy vaporware?

They've already taken the position that its not vaporware, if they truly plan on selling this thing, trust me, there is more to marketing than putting it on the website and showing it at car shows lol..

- - - Updated - - -

Why would they need to court anyone though? Provided that in actuality that is the case and they are not marketing it or have plans to, why would they need to?

There is pent up demand for the NSX 2.0 that is only intensifying. Buyers are coming to them. And the car isn't even released yet. Marketing affects top line revenue but has diminishing returns if poorly timed and/or ill conceived…so why would they launch a giant marketing campaign on a car in which few details have been made known and won't be sold for at least several months? Why waste all of that pent up tension on programs that can quickly turn sour and negative if the car doesn't meet pre-conceived ideas of a few previous model owners?

You're commercializing the term 'marketing' too much. Marketing could be something as simple as showing off new colour or timing the release of the specs. It doesn't have to be this huge $$$$ marketing campaign that you are talking about. Its the little things that Honda is doing wrong.

They've already taken the position that its not vaporware, if they truly plan on selling this thing, trust me, there is more to marketing than putting it on the website and showing it at car shows lol..

You're commercializing the term 'marketing' too much. Marketing could be something as simple as showing off new colour or timing the release of the specs. It doesn't have to be this huge $$$$ marketing campaign that you are talking about. Its the little things that Honda is doing wrong.

Yes, I know they plan on selling the car, I really hope so since I have a deposit on one. However, as of right now, it is vaporware since it doesn't exist. That is the point. You guys are all making a fuss about a nonexistent product. They will (hopefully) announce the car in January with full specs. Right now it is December. So you are talking about showing off colours and specs? What do you think they are going to do? Chances are, the car will start production in late summer. They will have to build early production versions so it can be reviewed by the major magazines and websites. So there is plenty of time before the car becomes a reality for customers. It's not like they are going to announce it in January with production models available instantly.

No, I used marketing in the right context that includes "advertising" as one part of the marketing mix. Either way, it's superfluous. Honda is a 54 billion dollar company that made 125 billion last fiscal during which they spent 4.2 billion on marketing. In fact, this company, a model of commercialized marketing ineptitude, had revenue that jumped 25% in a single year. Even if they do some "little things wrong," they know what they're doing and they've got a good agency to take care of the creative. And even if that doesn't work, it's not like they won't revise strategy to boost demand and sales.

I guess Acura should release an NSX 2.0 MMR before the initial model is shown.

No, I used marketing in the right context that includes "advertising" as one part of the marketing mix. Either way, it's superfluous. Honda is a 54 billion dollar company that made 125 billion last fiscal during which they spent 4.2 billion on marketing. In fact, this company, a model of commercialized marketing ineptitude, had revenue that jumped 25% in a single year. Even if they do some "little things wrong," they know what they're doing and they've got a good agency to take care of the creative. And even if that doesn't work, it's not like they won't revise strategy to boost demand and sales.

I guess Acura should release an NSX 2.0 MMR before the initial model is shown.

I agree. What more is expected to be done about marketing? The car will sell itself anyways if it offers Ferrari experience/performance at R8/911 pricing. There are plenty of people who want but can't afford a $300K+ car but could justify a $120-150K that is a bit more accessible while still delivering halo car characteristics. All they have to do is show the NSX beating the 458 around a track. It already looks much more exotic than the GTR and it certainly sounds very exotic too if the sound clips are accurate.

The previous NSX did the same thing in 1991 with a 270 hp NA V6. People seem to believe Honda couldn't sell the NSX well because they did not update the car or simply have poor planning, but many forget that other sports cars like the 300ZX that sold over 40,000 units in 1990 turned around and only sold a mere 2,000 units in 1996. They had to retire the fabled Z name until 2003 when interest for sports cars slowly picked back up. The 90s was a bad time for sports cars in the US and Honda was the only one that kept the proud NSX around for 15 years of production whereas Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda gave up in the US mid 90s after a few years of production thanks to swaying fads for SUVs in the US. Mazda and Toyota still have yet produce a true modern sports car concept!

I think the excitement is making things unbearable for some people especially during the holiday season when there is more downtime for many individuals that would usually be caught up at work and patience with anticipation is flogged. The car will sell it self given projected limited production of ~1,000 per year. Only another recession would endanger the sports car market in general.

Only another recession would endanger the sports car market in general.

Oh no! You jinxed it!

But yeah, the sports car market is fickle. Hopefully what is happening in Russia doesn't spill over to the rest of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious about what you think those little things should be? They've done a Seinfeld commercial, some concept and prototype displays at shows (including interior representations,) a concept display in a major movie, a drivetrain mockup display, Mid Ohio laps, have announced the reveal of specs will come in January, featured it on their website, and produced a teaser video that made the car news site rounds... What else is there to do? All I can think of is the release of orderable options/colors and prices therof - which might happen in January, being a reasonable thing to do, IMO, while/after the production car is first shown. Maybe send a letter to all registered NSX a owners letting them know about the Detroit show?

Interesting discussion on the Marketing of the new NSX and when the Spec of the car will be available.
Here is a bit of information, the US dealers will get the NSX US Specs on Jan 10th 2015. In Canada the the dealers will get the Canadian Specs on Feb. 12th 2015.

BTW the car will only be shown at the Detroit and Canadian auto shows.

Bram

Well stated! The car in Detroit is expected to be a production version, but we have no idea when it will actually be available to buy. Specs hitting the dealers is not the same thing as cars hitting the dealers, and we don't know when that will be. One thing is certain: There is no "launch in January".

FWIW...Acura service & sales experiences have been great since 1994.

Not only the NSX, but other models too (21 total vehicles over 20 years) - Acura of Bellevue, WA

Can't say the same for Porsche. The 991, at least for reliability though, has been very good.

I am looking for a solid reason to return to the NSX.

As far as who the NSXs target customer is, well, I'm sure the marketing dept. has done their due diligence and come up with their customer demographics and buying preferences/behaviors. That said, I'm not sure it's their overarching goal as much as hitting a specific performance target. It's not what they've focused on in the past with the NSX and I haven't seen that change in their actions or discussions re: the NSX 2.0.

If you want to get an idea of their target customer, develop a cross section of the general Acura customer with the specific characteristics of those that buy the Audi R8, 911 Turbo, GT-R, and Ferrari 458.

If you want to get an idea of their target customer, develop a cross section of the general Acura customer with the specific characteristics of those that buy the Audi R8, 911 Turbo, GT-R, and Ferrari 458.
Yes, exactly.

The first year or two the NSX was on the market, Acura had a promotional program in which they invited prospective owners to a local racetrack for a one-day driving school. They offered free enrollment in a mailing to owners of late-model Porsche 911's and Ferraris (348, I think).

As a long time Honda/Acura owner who has purchased vehicles new (except the NSX), I have received a couple of emails from Acura regarding the teaser for the NSX2.0.

So it seems that Acura corporate is reaching out to Acura owners who have purchased new vehicles.

I don't doubt that Acura will sell the NSX 2.0 well for the first couple of years due to the fact that there are some owners who want the exclusivity as well as the benefits(as well as the drawbacks) of the hybrid drivetrain.

The question then becomes what happens afterwards, will the NSX2.0 be yet again be a one hit wonder destined to be around for another 15 years or will NSX3.0 be in the works and available 5-6-7-8 years down the road?

so adding to the above...I got the acura email as well..don't know if it goes to all new acura owners or just nsx owners but I suspect the former..anyway wording and verbiage is everything in mass media ...and the way they explained the Detroit showing proves to me that the car won't be ready till 2016.....they call the car to take center stage as "not a concept,nor prototype" it will reveal the styling,design ,and specs for the production model expected in 2015.When a company tells you what a product isn't rather than what it is ....that spells not quite ready for prime time....my opinion.

Oh no! You jinxed it!

But yeah, the sports car market is fickle. Hopefully what is happening in Russia doesn't spill over to the rest of the world.

Haha, I guess there won't be many NSX orders in Russia? I think they are just late to the party and are finally feeling the wave effect. The US felt the hurt first, then Europe, now looming over Russia and maybe the rest of Asia in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

The question then becomes what happens afterwards, will the NSX2.0 be yet again be a one hit wonder destined to be around for another 15 years or will NSX3.0 be in the works and available 5-6-7-8 years down the road?

I think two factors would determine that fate.

The first being the hybrid tech or ultimately "overall execution." If the tech proves to be overly-complicated, then an inevitable redesign will come anyways that simplifies the execution or a complete axing of the idea perhaps. We've seen Honda respond rather quickly to criticism in recent years. They are a smaller sized company so it's easier to reorganize and reform.

The second factor is the economic health in relations to the sports car market. If there were stronger interests in sports cars towards the end of the 1990s, then the second gen NSX would have came along a lot sooner. So in 6-7 years, if the economy is strong and more people can justify spending money on sports cars then the NSX will probably get a third gen model refresh.

Haha, I guess there won't be many NSX orders in Russia? I think they are just late to the party and are finally feeling the wave effect. The US felt the hurt first, then Europe, now looming over Russia and maybe the rest of Asia in the future.

The majority of Russian exports are oil and they're feeling the effects of low oil prices and economic sanctions. Their economy has all the signs of deep recession and Putin isn't one to be put in a corner. He's liable to do something unexpected and drastic.

India and China is growing are still growing albeit at a slower rate than in previous years. India is actually growing faster but will hit a ceiling b/c of lack of infrastructure.

The achilles heel of the original NSX, IMHO, was lack of substantial updates throughout it's life cycle. NSX 2.0 can last quite a while if Honda (and from what I've read they're planning on it) makes updates to make it competitive. And if they race the NSX, there's a certain amount of leverage to force them to update it.

The achilles heel of the original NSX, IMHO, was lack of substantial updates throughout it's life cycle. NSX 2.0 can last quite a while if Honda (and from what I've read they're planning on it) makes updates to make it competitive. And if they race the NSX, there's a certain amount of leverage to force them to update it.

See, I don't think that was the point of weakness at all. It may seem like a logical and obvious reason, but by the time 1999 rolled around, how many sports cars were still in production that started out so promising and strong? There were sports cars priced and equipped to sell in much larger volumes that could barely do "NSX numbers."

They couldn't update the car properly because there was no need to do so with most of the competition dropping out of the race and demand not in order. It wasn't just because people did not want to buy the NSX, it was because most people in that target demographic did not want to buy any sports cars at all apparently. Sure the Porsches and Ferraris still sold, but those sports cars solely rely on those particular bread and butter model to stay afloat.

The only thing I can say is that Honda was late to responding to slow pickup back in the mid 2000s. Cars like the tubby 350Z and Rx8 were coming out, by-products of a shifting car market. The C6 Vette made a nice splash. By the time Honda was ready to roll out the HSC or HSV, the recession was looming and finally dropped.

So again, I wouldn't say the NSX didn't sell well because it was under-powered or lacked updates. I'd say it was neglected or delayed because the sports car arena was non-existent for most of those 15 years of production.

Last edited:
Oh no! You jinxed it!

Don't worry, I've waited too long to let anything stand in the way of the new NSX.

- Valdimir

17gahgcqu0tn.jpg

Man, that's a tough position to take considering the 15 year lifecycle, a nose refresh, an extra gear, and a 20hp increase. Not to mention the 90's were great years for car sales. In fact, during the entirety of those 15 years, car industry sales in the US went from 12.5 million in '91 to 17.4 million in '05.

There's an easy way to determine the most relevant factors: through a regression analysis. The independent variables could be economic growth, US car sales, sports car competitor prices, sports car competitor sales, significant updates, competitor updates, gas prices, FX rates, raw material prices, consumer income per capita levels, Honda marketing spend, maybe a dummy variable for good measure. And the dependent variable would be NSX sales. We would need 15 years worth of data. If we can get all of that data, we can develop a definitive conclusion.

Back