• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

whats the top speed in a modified nsx?

How attached are you to living/not being incarcerated? There are very few public roads where you can reach 200mph and even then you'll just be lucky if you don't a.) die or b.) go to jail. The last thing I'd want to be in at 200mph is a modified car. Seriously, you could get damn close for about half you'd put into making an NSX that fast by purchasing a brand new 505hp Z06

Toshiba, do you intend to run your car on a track or on the streets?

If you are out to break the sound barrier, you may want to reconsider some of your other options.

A word of caution: The majority of Prime drivers are responsible and law abiding, so be advised that you may be the receiver of flames if you start inquiring about how far past the last dash of the odometer a modded NSX can hit-especially on a public street.

Welcome to the board!

toshiba said:
satan, I know my bike topped out a 161. but I cant get another bike so my options are a little limited. I was just wondering as I would like to get clostest to the 200 mark as possible. I know a skyline can do it but who wants the hassle of importing that beast. I hear RUFS can get up to 215 around that range, so I might again change my mind once more, thanks for the suggestion though

OK I have a theory that you are actually a 40 something year old, long time member of Prime and you are logging on under a different name so you can have some fun. This is a Joke Right?

Patrick

Hey who cares what the kid gets up to, its his life, he can do what he chooses. Its not like he doesn't know about the implications of entertaining such speeds so lets not be too 'fatherly' about his questions and start lecturing him.:rolleyes:

well actually, what is out top speed based on standard tire diameter and gearing? aka at 8500 rpm, in 6th gear with stock tires, what is the top speed attainable just by gearing alone?

toshiba said:
I was just wondering as I would like to get clostest to the 200 mark as possible.

You could jump out of an airplane head first, that should get you to your goal of 200+ mph:biggrin:

khappucino said:
well actually, what is out top speed based on standard tire diameter and gearing? aka at 8500 rpm, in 6th gear with stock tires, what is the top speed attainable just by gearing alone?
Based solely on tires and gearing, top speed in a 6-speed would be 202mph. Easiest way to see that is to bring the car to 2000, 4000, or some other easy multiple of redline in your last year, and check the speed. IIRC, that's 101 @ 4000 in my car.

However, I'd be extremely surprised if my car (400rwhp) would top 190....

I remember seeing an article about Paul Tracy going 194mph or something like that in his comptech modded nsx.

Forget about him, what about the innocent people he may end up killing while trying to reach 200 MPH! I sure hope he doesn’t try to reach his goal on public roads!

toshiba said:
was wondering what the top speed of a modified NSX goes? also looking for max HP info as I saw not to long ago that the NSX was trying to break 11's. im looking for a really fun car as I'm young and need a big thrill. I just dont think im to fond of going out to get beat by evey supra and EVO out there, still not sure about these NSX's. Is 99-00 a good year for maxing out a NSX, or do you suggest a certain year thats better to go with? thanks alot, looking forward to becoming hooked on the "NSX craze" thanks again

As a baseline, a stock late model 6 speed is gear limited at 202 in 6th, and drag/power/rolling resistance limited to high 160's / mid 170's as a matter of practical application many other factors non-withstanding.

With relevant modifications including more power (such as FI, etc.. ) and relevant aero modifications (vented hood, radiator shroud, under panels, etc... to reduce lift & drag) and a lot of safety inspections/gear/process you could likely well join the 200mph club.

However, it would be very short-lived as there are very few driving situations and straight-aways on a track which would be safe to push those top speeds. Trading a modern sports cars top speed for significant useful downforce on a road course is far more practical...

And frankly, there's nothing to be proved by going 200 in anything..

One of my friend's dad's is on the team that is fielding this, he just got back from the flats a few weeks ago:

http://www.landspeed.com/Introduction.asp

They apparently are pioneering electromagnetic brakes technology and software to help stop it.. I guess why settle for 200 when you can go 800?

You want a 200mph car? My local Safeway's bagboy got some beat up Nova with a supercharged 427 in it and his fellow bagboy got a Civic with some mother modifications and they both hit around 11 seconds. I think that pair beat the crap out off all these Supras, Evos, STIs, and NSXs out there in straight line. Everytime I pulled up in my NSX, they always challenge me and desperately want to prove their cars faster than mine. I can hook you up with that crowd if you want.
Steve

I think you are looking at the wrong car for your intentions. If you are able afford a 50k+ used supercar, in which the insurance is not exactly comparable to a civic, you should be especially careful about what you persue.

How fast can a modified NSX go?
How fast can a modified sportbike go?
How fast can a modified airplane go?

$$$ is your answer. Maybe 500 grand for the NSX. Probably 500 billion for the plane, maybe more in both cases. Even elements of instability can be resolved, the NSX, to somewhat more adaquately answer your question, can be modified to be as fast and stable as just about any car ever produced. But it will cost you.

If I had that much cash to burn, I'd import a skyline or really enjoy a FD.

All this talk is making me curious, any one every used an used NSX for 200 plus mph run? I know Honda claimed the 02 spec NSX is drag limited to 175mph, but I know that speed is achieved around 7000 RPM at 6th gear, so there are still more room to go if people can mod the car and reduce more drag. There ia a post from few months ago with pictures shown speedo reach 190 plus in Europe, but I think it was a photoshop trick.

I may bring mine this year to race. I have been 190 + with my other vehicles. There have been a few NSX's in the past participating in the open road races I am in. I can see If I can dig up some past times and post...I am curious also. I like the fact that we have stoplight to stoplight people here as well as track racing! A diverse group!

sahtt said:

If I had that much cash to burn, I'd import a skyline...

People tell me that here as well because we have the Nissan Skyline GTR's here in Australia. They are much much cheaper than an NSX... 1/5th the price! Then you can afford to spend lots of $$$ on the go-fast bits.

So then you have your highly modified Skyline with 600, 700, 800+ HP. But I will tell you I have raced against them on track days... My car is road registered and I drive to the track. these Nissan GTR's are track cars and arrive on trailers. Not one I have ever gone up against is able to keep up with my NSX on the track! My lap time are consistently lower. They may have more power and possibly beat me in a straight line... But I have seen them go off trying to keep up with me through a 180km/h left hander :wink:

So of all the Japanese imports... Skyline I have the most respect for, then the WRX, EVO's are too delicate mechanically and never last, Supra's too heavy as are 300ZX's

The only cars that beat me (in my class) on the track here in Australia are some Porsches... Porsche have an incredible list of aftermarket parts for them and so many people have them here! They have a network of people with so much experience setting the car up with the Porsche Cup as well... Porsches are the ones I aim to beat! Especially since I used to be in their club...

But nothing but the NSX is comming close!

Last edited:
AU_NSX said:
People tell me that here as well because we have the Nissan Skyline GTR's here in Australia. They are much much cheaper than an NSX... 1/5th the price! Then you can afford to spend lots of $$$ on the go-fast bits.

So then you have your highly modified Skyline with 600, 700, 800+ HP. But I will tell you I have raced against them on track days... My car is road registered and I drive to the track. these Nissan GTR's are track cars and arrive on trailers. Not one I have ever gone up against is able to keep up with my NSX on the track! My lap time are consistently lower. They may have more power and possibly beat me in a straight line... But I have seen them go off trying to keep up with me through a 180km/h left hander :wink:

So of all the Japanese imports... Skyline I have the most respect for, then the WRX, EVO's are too delicate mechanically and never last, Supra's too heavy as are 300ZX's

The only cars that beat me (in my class) on the track here in Australia are some Porsches... Porsche have an incredible list of aftermarket parts for them and so many people have them here! They have a network of people with so much experience setting the car up with the Porsche Cup as well... Porsches are the ones I aim to beat! Especially since I used to be in their club...

But nothing but the NSX is comming close!

If I have all the money to burn, I'll bring over a NSX NA2 Type R over the Skyline any day. Just don't care for that car because it's turbo!!!

Vancehu said:
I know that speed is achieved around 7000 RPM at 6th gear, so there are still more room to go if people can mod the car and reduce more drag.

When a car is drag limited it means that it does not have enough power to overcome the drag at sed speed. I doubt that you could make significant enough change in the drag of the NSX to get it to 200 mph without increasing power.
The NSX already has a small frontal area, so the key thing to me would be to increase power and change gearing.

Driving isn't about how quick or top speed , as everyone else on here I bought a 91 NSX monday from a friend for 30K it has only 28K ,the down side is it has a auto trans however I just sold my 996 that had 454 HP, the fastest I ever hit was 140 when I test drove it on a track.
on the freeway I might of hit 110 -120 and had two gears left. Four of my friends all selling their 911 turbo's as we all agree that the porsche will beat the sh#t out of you . The NSX is a drivers car period. I have owned over 40 cars and 30 bikes The NSX is the most affordable and practical high performance car you can buy.

Given a long enough straight (several miles), my modified '91 runs just past an indicated 8000 rpm in top gear with 245/40 17 rear tires. Gotta love the autobahn! If the tachometer isn't optimistic (and I don't think it is because the rev limiter kicks in there), that works out to about 187 mph.

The car is perfectly stable at those speeds and whether you endanger others depends on how you drive. If you drive recklessly, you can easily endanger others.

It would be great to find out the top speed with a 3.8 liter engine and a six speed transmission!

Vancehu said:
There ia a post from few months ago with pictures shown speedo reach 190 plus in Europe, but I think it was a photoshop trick.
Do you mean pictures like these? This one was taken with a passenger making the video and with 2/3 load of fuel:wink:
4741282km.jpg

This wasn't the highest possible topspeed. But believe me. Topspeed was 190+ mph.

Last edited:
Back