• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

I think Acura is satisfied with the volume. It's like the NA2, they just kept making it even though they only sold a couple hundred per year. It's a halo car- it was never meant to be a 911. JMO

They didn’t put much R&D into the NA/2, and it wasn’t enough and it was too late. The Gen1 was losing ground at that point, and the sales showed that. They gave the car away with a killer lease deal which many people ended up buying the car at lease end. The 911 Is the car to which many are compared. The Turbo S and GTRS series are in the same price segment, and they have no problem with sales. There are even 718 Convertibles that are priced in the $110k range which sell.

I understand this community is biased towards the NSX. But everyone who posts that they should come out with a “type xyz” is proof that the current NC1 isn’t good enough. JMO too.

Last edited:
If I get a type S I'm in it for the giant S on my fancy Honda T shirt...:tongue:

There is nothing, NOTHING, Acura can do to increase sales of the NC1 10x. Well, okay, I guess they could drop the price by $100k, but we all know that's not going to happen.

So given that they are smart people who also know that, what *can* they do? Having worked for some big bureaucracies run by MBAs who only care about ROI, the answer is "not much". Anything worthy of a Type-S or Type-R badge, or a convertible, are going to have significant investment that they have to know they won't recoup in added sales. So then the question is whether they have visionary leaders who look beyond the balance sheet, and personally I think they do--the NSX wouldn't still be produced at all otherwise. Coming out with a Type-S, Type-R, or spyder version is going to create buzz in the marketplace which will continue to give Acura street cred and enhance their brand image. If that's true, then any of those three variants makes sense, and they are probably more likely than a mild MMC to improve the infotainment or tweak the exterior look to be more in line with the current brand standards.

[MENTION=34518]DJ Iceman[/MENTION] - I have to agree. I spent 20yrs working in these companies as many here have. The search for ROI is like bioorganic matter searching for oxygen. However, It can be done but with good leadership. Toyota is doing it through one man. Porsche is doing it through committee that knows their customer. Honda... is a bit of neither at the moment.

@DJ Iceman - I have to agree. I spent 20yrs working in these companies as many here have. The search for ROI is like bioorganic matter searching for oxygen. However, It can be done but with good leadership. Toyota is doing it through one man. Porsche is doing it through committee that knows their customer. Honda... is a bit of neither at the moment.

Interesting. I feel like Toyota has lost their way, while Honda (and particularly Acura) is really performing these days. Lexus is a sad shell of what they used to be, living on reputation only.

Interesting. I feel like Toyota has lost their way, while Honda (and particularly Acura) is really performing these days. Lexus is a sad shell of what they used to be, living on reputation only.
Interesting perspective. I don't feel strongly about the subject but Toyota thru sheer will from their CEO is building the GT86, the Supra, and even a rally bred Yaris GR (EU & JDM market) for homologation purposes.

I personally think the most sporty car is Acura's lineup is the A Spec TLX/MDX? They are improving though.

I think they did a good job on the Clarity. I bought a 2019, but mostly because the killer discounts were hard to ignore.

I might agree with you about Lexus. The NX line is particularly disappointing. I recently had one as a loaner. Acura's A Spec series is becoming what the F series cars were of yesteryear. Current F spec cars are becoming watered down.

I disagree about Toyota though... $0.02

Lexus has definitely been puddling along.

I think the upcoming LQ SUV will inject some life but as that is at the higher end in terms of price, not a volume vehicle.

I will say that having owned the LC 500 Convertible about a month, that is a wonderful car. Taking my wife for a nice top down cruise and enjoying that NA V8 is a perfect escape from the Covid situation.

Last edited:
I believe that Honda/Acura intent when it introduced the NC1 was to show the World that they can in fact produce a milestone vehicle. I suspect that in the coming years we will see minor improvements in the interior as well as various components used in the car. We may even see a limited S version. There are opportunities for weight reduction of up to 150 or so lbs. With a little effort a bit more power/efficiency can be had as well. I do not see a significant investment however because the benefit is just not there. The NC1 is a halo car that much like the Datsun 240z and early generation NSXs, and gets Honda/Acura attention. At the present time the car is still a benchmark in price and performance. I suspect that when the McL comes out we will see a significant price premium associated with that car. As was highlighted by others, the NSX is probably never going to sell xx number of cars per month. I am ok with that.

There is nothing, NOTHING, Acura can do to increase sales of the NC1 10x. Well, okay, I guess they could drop the price by $100k, but we all know that's not going to happen.

So given that they are smart people who also know that, what *can* they do? Having worked for some big bureaucracies run by MBAs who only care about ROI, the answer is "not much". Anything worthy of a Type-S or Type-R badge, or a convertible, are going to have significant investment that they have to know they won't recoup in added sales. So then the question is whether they have visionary leaders who look beyond the balance sheet, and personally I think they do--the NSX wouldn't still be produced at all otherwise. Coming out with a Type-S, Type-R, or spyder version is going to create buzz in the marketplace which will continue to give Acura street cred and enhance their brand image. If that's true, then any of those three variants makes sense, and they are probably more likely than a mild MMC to improve the infotainment or tweak the exterior look to be more in line with the current brand standards.

I think you are right on the money here. I'm also an exec at a Fortune 250, and it all boils down to ROI. I'm not anticipating another major spend on the NC1.

[MENTION=34518]DJ Iceman[/MENTION] - I have to agree. I spent 20yrs working in these companies as many here have. The search for ROI is like bioorganic matter searching for oxygen. However, It can be done but with good leadership. Toyota is doing it through one man. Porsche is doing it through committee that knows their customer. Honda... is a bit of neither at the moment.

IIRC, Honda leadership had a series of meetings a year or two back where they determined they had "lost their mojo" somewhat. The refreshed Acura lineup and the new Accord/CTR appear to be the outcome of these discussions, which has me excited about the brand again. I really like the new Accord and I think the new Acura lineup finally hits the mark they've been searching for since around 2005. Hopefully the NC1 benefits from this too- I think it will.

I believe that Honda/Acura intent when it introduced the NC1 was to show the World that they can in fact produce a milestone vehicle. I suspect that in the coming years we will see minor improvements in the interior as well as various components used in the car. We may even see a limited S version. There are opportunities for weight reduction of up to 150 or so lbs. With a little effort a bit more power/efficiency can be had as well. I do not see a significant investment however because the benefit is just not there. The NC1 is a halo car that much like the Datsun 240z and early generation NSXs, and gets Honda/Acura attention. At the present time the car is still a benchmark in price and performance. I suspect that when the McL comes out we will see a significant price premium associated with that car. As was highlighted by others, the NSX is probably never going to sell xx number of cars per month. I am ok with that.

Agree 100%. Ito challenged the NC1 design teams to do again what Honda did with the NC1 in 1989- create a statement car. In 1989 it was the all-aluminum monocoque, reliable supercar. In 2017 it is the ICE/Hybrid supercar that is accessible to non-billionaires. They did that, and the NC1 delivers the P1/LaFerrari tech at a massive discount. This was never about selling thousands of cars- Honda accomplished their goal with the NC1 and now they are happy to make enough for Honda/Acura enthusiasts who want one.

Imagine a awd hybrid CTR around 3200lbs....

While I hear many complaints concerning the interior I find that I really like it. It is simple and very functional. The stereo also sounds good. I am sure there are those who want more punch to their bass. It is a small interior which complicates matters. There is a fellow in Orange County CA, Lee who has outfitted some NSXs with upgraded speakers and amps. Not sure how much better the sound is.

Last edited:
I'm a 2019 CTR owner as well as a 2020 NSX owner as of yesterday when I picked up my car. We also picked up another 2020 yesterday that my mother in law ordered to have a match to her husband's 2020 NSX he purchased in August. I for one am super excited that these are low production vehicles. I wanted something different AND reliable. Something most supercars simply just aren't.

we need a triple NC1 family portrait!

I'm a 2019 CTR owner as well as a 2020 NSX owner as of yesterday when I picked up my car. We also picked up another 2020 yesterday that my mother in law ordered to have a match to her husband's 2020 NSX he purchased in August. I for one am super excited that these are low production vehicles. I wanted something different AND reliable. Something most supercars simply just aren't.

Sheer awesomeness. Congratulations to your family.

It's funny to drop in here every now and then and see you guys talk endlessly of what the car "should be" or "could be"...:biggrin:

haha look what DocL dragged in...:tongue:.....what are you driving these days Jinks?

I believe [MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3821]DocL[/MENTION] are both driving BMW M4s(?).

haha look what DocL dragged in...:tongue:.....what are you driving these days Jinks?

I picked up a 2019 BMW M4 competition back in 2019. Love everything about it. Mineral grey metallic on sakkir orange interior.
Don't have to mod it at all. Just a few CF aero bits done to it.
I pushed Rob to pickup the 4 door smurf herder version.

Going back to topic the new nsx in yellow is pretty nice. Still hate the front. The new M4 must go to the same plastic surgeon the nc1 does.LOL!!!

I picked up a 2019 BMW M4 competition back in 2019. Love everything about it. Mineral grey metallic on sakkir orange interior.
Don't have to mod it at all. Just a few CF aero bits done to it.
I pushed Rob to pickup the 4 door smurf herder version...

What is being left out is our buddy AJ got an automatic, so he loses some of his car guy creed. :D

The F80 M3 had been in my sights for a while.Luckily I had time to waste while waiting for my legal action to finally be settled. As long as I was able to find one with the rare 6spd and smurf color, I was all in.

What is being left out is our buddy AJ got an automatic, so he loses some of his car guy creed. :D

The F80 M3 had been in my sights for a while.Luckily I had time to waste while waiting for my legal action to finally be settled. As long as I was able to find one with the rare 6spd and smurf color, I was all in.

It’s a DCT... Not an automatic.
The smurf blue makes you look younger then you are though so that’s a plus.🤣

Attachments

• D8A96DC9-57BF-41A9-910F-79A3F388C3AD.jpeg
    D8A96DC9-57BF-41A9-910F-79A3F388C3AD.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 11567227-B298-47A5-AAAB-9ED94D03004B.jpeg
    11567227-B298-47A5-AAAB-9ED94D03004B.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 181
  • 0CD77ACE-9C10-4ED2-899F-A61F8ABA891C.jpg
    0CD77ACE-9C10-4ED2-899F-A61F8ABA891C.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 180