• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where does the $$$ come from?

Just curious as to what everyone here does for a living.. basically I wanna know what it takes to afford an NSX. For the record, I'm currently a student majoring in Communications/Journalism so lets just say I need some guidance in the right direction.
wink.gif

P.S. I'm not saying that I'm going to base my career options on the NSX alone, but I have lots of time to decide right now and the one thing that IS certain is that I'm going to get myself an NSX in the future.
smile.gif

Just a little bit of advice if you want an NSX. Change your major NOW! I graduated with a degree in journalism and the money is terrible! Sure there are a few people that make millions of dollars, but the majority make very little money.

This question has been posted a couple of times and the majority of people here work with computers (programmers etc). I would advise you to go that route.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Originally posted by NetViper:
Just a little bit of advice if you want an NSX. Change your major NOW! I graduated with a degree in journalism and the money is terrible! Sure there are a few people that make millions of dollars, but the majority make very little money.
---------------------------------------------

Oh crap.. are you serious? Now you've got me scared.
frown.gif
I always thought Communications was a good field to get into. Maybe Journalism isn't so good? I could always change it as I still have time.. but nothing drastic. There are so many different majors within the Communications field alone so perhaps I should look into that. I've heard of Mass Media.. is that the same as Journalism? I would rather work in a national news broadcasting company instead of a dinky local newspaper publisher. NetViper, let me know EXACTLY what you majored in college so I know what NOT to.
wink.gif
Just kidding. But seriously.. let me know what I should do. Thanks!

Hey.... I majored in Comm. I'm insulted!
Well... not really... it was a very easy major. I get crap about it all the time
smile.gif

However, the class structure allowed me to take night classes and work full time my last two years of college. When I got out of college, because of ability and the 4 years experience I had already, I was able to get a high paying job straight out of school.

Then again, I work in the computer biz and did then. Majored in Comm and Film because that's what I enjoy and wanted to learn. I knew then that I would be working in the IT field regardless.

Being in a field you enjoy is more important than just the money. Would you rather be miserable, but make enough to afford an NSX?
If you really love journalism then do it. If you are one of the best at what you do, regardless of the field, you will be in demand and payed well.
If you want money NOW, while young, IT pays well. However, the market is terrible right now in that area.

You need to weigh both sides; money and personal fulfillment. Hell, I'd love to beta test video games all day or be a camp counselor, but that's just not going to cut it financially. Make a decision on financial potential and whether or not you can see yourself doing that job. Some people enjoy numbers and accounting. It pays very well. I couldn't do that for the rest of my life for any amount of money. Weigh the factors, make a decision.

I always thought Communications was a good field to get into. Maybe Journalism isn't so good?

It is a good field to get into if you enjoy it and want to help people. ie doing good reporting etc. It is not a good field to be in if you want to be rich.

I would rather work in a national news broadcasting company instead of a dinky local newspaper publisher.

Who wouldn't? You think those jobs are easy to get? There are 100's of people applying for those jobs.

My ex worked as a weekend anchor in a small market making 22,000 a year. You think you can afford an NSX on that? Most reporters here start out at 16K a year. At the paper it is a little higher --19 ish.

In order to make big bucks, you need to be top 50 if not top 25. There is an extreme amount of competition for those postions. If you think you will graduate and get into a great postion, better think again. You have to start at the bottom and move up. The bottom means living in near poverty. Most people really only can do it if they have parents that help them out.

I got out of that business and work in the IT side of the media. It pays much better, but still not what most IT places pay.

That has been my experiences. Hope that helps shed a little light on it. I know it is a rather harsh post, but the reality is that media pays crap unless you are Matt Lauer or Dan Rather.

Regardelss, I wish you the best at whatever you chose and maybe you will have more success.

oh FYI. 75% of people I worked with in TV have since got out due to lack of money or potential for money.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I agree with Netviper.

Comm has many fields. You CAN get into the Advertising biz which is the exact opposite judging from those I know in that biz. Pays like hotcakes, works your butt 6-7 days a week, very long hours and nights, usual burnout rate is 2-3 years. If you can start out at an advertising firm while in school and get the experience, then get a mid-level job in advertising coming out of school, you can make a lot of money. However, you will have little time to enjoy it until you move on.
Some people do this on purpose. They dedicate themselves for those couple of years knowing how hard the work will be. They'll make the money, save and invest it properly, and then move on with plenty of money in the bank to other endeavors.

With Comm you have to remember that it's a major of skill. It may be easy to pass the classes, but you are wasting your time if you don't have what it takes to succeed in that field. Only certain people will be broadcast journalists or editor-in-chief. Only certain people have the creativity, skills, and work ethic to make it in advertising. Only certain people make good public speakers.
You can tell who they are right away in senior classes. It's like wanting to be an actor. You either have what it takes and the connections to make it, or you don't. There are always exceptions, but that is like playing the lottery. Someone like Jim Carrey is one in Millions. Be honest with yourself and make a decision. I had two years before I had to decide my final choice in Major and you should take the time if you have it.

Thank you NetViper & ilya for your insightful input..

I certainly have a LOT to think about now.. but luckily I still have some time left to do so. Actually I probably have more time than I realize.. maybe I'm just rushing things a bit. I've probably let the fantasy of owning an NSX blind me from the things that are most important to me right now.. like living my life and enjoying every moment of it. (I would certainly enjoy my life a lot more if I drove around in an NSX
wink.gif
) Oh man.. there I go drifting off again.. but seriously, I've decided to just do what I want to do for now and see how things go. Everyone knows that things change over time anyway.. especially when looking too far into the future, so I'm not about to argue that point. Whatever happens though, I'll keep everything you guys said in mind. Thanks again!

Raptor X, I'm afraid they are right about broadcast journalism. Unless you are the 'talent' (on air) the money is crap compared to a job in the corporate world. I know because my wife is a television producer here in Houston. You have to do it for the love of it, not the compensation. Only once you get into the big markets do they pay a real salary that one can live on. The anchors make outrageous money and (generally) do little work, but the station owns their every waking minute (one of our best friends is an anchor). The reporters work very hard and are compensated very well. Everyone else behind-the-scenes that is responsible for a newscast is paid the minimum. The field is glamorous so competition is high - there is always someone willing to take your job at a lower price.

(I would certainly enjoy my life a lot more if I drove around in an NSX
wink.gif

Or you could be in my position. I am in a field that I love (creating 3D worlds and animating characters for video games), studied what I love (film production), AND have been quite successful (I bought my NSX-T new in March of 2000). But I work 24-7 (pulled an all-nighter last night and will probably be at the office until 8pm tonight), so the only time I get to enjoy my NSX is when I go to and from work. Oh wait, I stopped using my NSX as a daily driver...so I don't even get to do THAT any more
frown.gif

But just so you know, I do indeed enjoy my life a lot more when I'm crusing up the coast or zipping through the canyons in my NSX.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Originally posted by akira3d:
Or you could be in my position. I am in a field that I love (creating 3D worlds and animating characters for video games), studied what I love (film production), AND have been quite successful (I bought my NSX-T new in March of 2000).
---------------------------------------------

akira, I truly envy you.
smile.gif

You have what many people would consider a wonderful life.. myself included. I mean sure, you may have to work a lot to achieve what you want but nobody ever said life was perfect. Just the fact that you did what you wanted and still came out on top is really inspiring to me. In fact, I was intrigued when you mentioned your love for fim production merely because I want to do that too but am unable to (my school does not offer any film courses as a major and due to my graduation requirements does not permit me to minor in it either.
frown.gif
). In all honesty, I'm glad you have such a successful life, but more importantly that you are happy with it.. because in the end, that is all that really matters.
smile.gif

akira3d... I feel your pain. I too work about 14-16 hours a day everyday weekends included. The payoff comes in the winter which sucks for driving the NSX in NY. I work all summer long everyday, but I make enough to take the rest of the year off. So I snow board all winter long. I have put a total of 900 miles on the NSX this summer. Sucks but hey its a living. Just about anyone can get a NSX if they are willing to put in the effort. So many people want rewards without effort. These rewards just don't exist. You have to push push push if you are going to ever get anywhere. NSX's just don't fall out of the sky, you have to earn them. With so many lazy people out there only wanting to work 9-5 there is great opportunity for any one that wants to put in effort. The second point is don't have any kids until your 35. I see so many of my friends getting bent right over in support payment. I would rather have a NSX payment than a support payment anyday of the week. I hope I have not offended anyone.

[This message has been edited by steveny (edited 29 August 2001).]

Originally posted by steveny:
With so many lazy people out there only wanting to work 9-5 there is great opportunity for any one that wants to put in effort.
B]

Hey, I work 9-5 and take off Friday afternoons! On the otherhand, I did go to school for 25 years so I guess that I already put in my time.

To address the original posted question; I think that you can be successful in anything, but you have to put 110% into it. I made the choice of going to graduate school and then a residency. I spent five extra years getting an education while my friends were working and earning an income. Yes I was jealous, but now I'm my own boss and I own a nice NSX. Furthermore, those people that earned tons of $$$ in the stock market and bought houses and cars are now struggling to make the payments.

There are always trade-offs when deciding a profession. I always enjoyed science, thus I decided to become a dentist because the lifestyle is not as hectic as a physician, and I enjoy working with my hands. Furthermore, my college major had nothing to do with science or dentistry. However, it does help me everyday because it is the thought process that you need to learn and use, not necessarily the information.

Good luck in you search for success. Only you can make it happen.

i majored in business.... but went to a school that is recognized world wide for their computer science department.... i couldnt get a job in the accounting/finance field to save my life... but the programming world was banging down my door... and i had never even had programming experience. now i do contract work for fortune 500 companies... its very laid back and easy work. computers are the way to go.

What money? I sold my soul for my NSX.

I'm an engineer getting kicked trying my next challenge in management. 16 hour days. Continuous improvement and growth. Those are the goals. Sacrifice and work your butt off and hopefully it pays off in the end. That's my plan.

Its rewarding when you can look back and see how far you've come. Its really rewarding. The problem is you don't usually have the time to step back and look, because you're charging ahead. When you're always trying to grow and improve its always a battle. There is always something that needs to be done better and faster. That's the tough part. There is no end. It can be overwhelming at times, but you have to just keep going.

You can make money doing just about anything. You just have to have the drive to do it.

Alan

------------------
Alan Peltier
Operations Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
[email protected]

'94 black/black NSX
HID only so far. Needs wheels!
Performance upgrades coming as soon as I can scrape up the cash! Donations much appreciated!!

Check out our website at http://www.hrewheels.com

Alan and Dr. Lane summed it up...

I think that you can be successful in anything, but you have to put 110% into it.

You can make money doing just about anything. You just have to have the drive to do it.

So many people want reward without effort.

I'm Director of Sales for a software company here in Atlanta. Technical sales is a great profession to be in if you are a guy like me who has always loved technology but isn't quite geeky enough to get into the details. I'm a big picture guy who can't do math to save his life, but, I am very pursuasive and good with people. So, technical sales fits me perfectly.

I'm 22, just out of Elon University in NC a few months ago, but I worked in the IT field since I was 16, which is what allowed me to step into a good job right out of college.

Unless you are going into the medical field, work experience should be your #1 priority! That's what people care about, not GPA's!

- Sam

I believe any profession can be succesful as long as you have a true passion for it. Just keep at it and give 110%, as Dr. Lane mentioned, and you will eventually find a way. Fate hands us many opportunities but it's our responsiblity to grab hold of it and ride it for all it's worth. That's what America is all about...the land of opportunity. Do what you love and make money doing it.

18 year old 2nd gen. immigrant from S. Korea
President, JSIT (Import/Export) JSE (Retail Dry Cleaner Supply) doing what I love. Asspiring to be a venture capitalist...a legal loan shark IMO =)

The IT field isnt the only thing for money! Damn, alot of my friends went to dental school and some specialized in orthodontics and they're pulling in $1000/day! What about medicine? You can also make money if you get your MBA...finance....real estate...you name it....work hard and you can make alot of money in these fields.

I'd have to agree with most of the postings here. Get a degree and a decent paying job in something you like. However, you don't have to make alot of money to afford an NSX either. It does take some money discipline. When you get out of college, don't go blowing your entire salary right away. I know it's tempting because we're so poor in college. But saving some of that money in the first few years will go a long way later. Just think, if you go blow $100 a week at clubs or bars, that comes out to $400/month (pretty nice car payment). I'm not saying to not have fun but just don't go aboard. You don't need a 40"WEGA, home theater, mountain bike, snowboard, Xbox, fastest computer all in the first year. That stuff will get old in a year. Just something else to think about.
smile.gif

Back