• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which car to buy: 996 vs e90 m3

I'm posting here because I feel like I would get an unbiased opinion versus doing this on BimmerForums or Rennlist.
(Yes I would like to own an NSX but I'm looking for something with a little more power, but if you're the guy that bought a black on black 90's NSX with the '02 facelift in Garden Grove a year ago then I'd like to make an offer.)

Here is some info about me:

Not looking for practicality. I carry a backpack and occasionally a supermodel.
Commute is 3.5-5k/year with a little track.
Maintenance is an issue in terms of headache and time saved more so than cost.

Some info on the cars:

I only like the 996 with an aero kit.
One of the M3s have the 1M bumper, affectionately labeled as "folded vaginal lips" by bimmer purist. It's my favorite one.

Right now I really like the weight of the 911 vs the M3, but the interior not so much.

I'm most interested in what you guys have to say about the high revving V8 versus having an engine in the back.
And also the driving experience.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Which 996 variant in particular are you looking at? I'd imagine the 996 is probably going to come in at a better price.

I'd say e90 for practicality and 996/7 otherwise.

The v8 in the E90 is nice but the Porsche will sound better, drive nicer, and get better gas mileage :)

Maintenance on both in terms of inconvenience is likely similar though my gut feeling is that the Porsche would be more reliable. I have a 987.1 and even with the ominous IMS issues looming, the car has been rock solid. I can't say the same for many friends' E90/92's, unfortunately.

The Porsche. It is a unique car with a unique driving experience, mostly because the engine sits behind the rear axle.

It is also built from the ground up as a sports car. While the M3 is arguably the pinnacle for best driving car, and driving accolades are showered upon it, it is still a saloon car acting as a sports car with a traditional GT setup. Engine in front, rear wheel drive. You can get that from many great cars.

The M3 will be more practical, but not by much, the Porsche is not a hard car to live with.

Rarity. The M3 is a 3 series, and there are a lot of them. Can't say the same about the Porsche numbers.

My vote would be for the M3.
I don't know any Porsche 911 owner(especially the non-turbo 996) with over 50,000 miles on the original engine.
In all seriousness, does anyone make an engine more poorly that porsche? It's like they don't even try?

My vote is M3. I put over 278,000 on my first beamer and 178,000 on my current daily driver.

The 996 is very linear and astounding in acceleration with zero wheel spin. And the way it is easily tossed around, makes the M3 look like a heavy GT. BMW needs to bring on a proper sports car. I love the 996, has and will always be my number 1 in its own right.

Yeah, the M3 is a very good car, we shall not forget that it is one of the few sports coupes that can fully accommodate 4 grown adults. So it offers a good balance between a sports car and a normal people carrier.

The 996 will always have an edge in styling; its an icon. But how much more power are you looking from an NSX to make it a worthwhile consideration compared to the 996 vs M3?

If you consider the sheer driving pleasure, low maintenance, exotic looks, you may consider a well sorted supercharged (see my plug - listing on the for sale) or turboed NSX which will give you anywhere from 360-400 rwhp with minimal modifications to the internals. Where are you going to use all that power in Southern California's congested freeways or is it fro bragging rights?

I don't know any Porsche 911 owner(especially the non-turbo 996) with over 50,000 miles on the original engine.
In all seriousness, does anyone make an engine more poorly that porsche? It's like they don't even try?

What? You are kidding right?

The 996 will always have an edge in styling; its an icon. But how much more power are you looking from an NSX to make it a worthwhile consideration compared to the 996 vs M3?

If you consider the sheer driving pleasure, low maintenance, exotic looks, you may consider a well sorted supercharged (see my plug - listing on the for sale) or turboed NSX which will give you anywhere from 360-400 rwhp with minimal modifications to the internals. Where are you going to use all that power in Southern California's congested freeways or is it fro bragging rights?

Caught me. With the exception of it being on the track 5% of the year if that, the horsepower is just to say I have more than a new Camry. My last car had 240rwhp @ 3100 pounds and I quite enjoyed that. If I were to buy an NSX, HP wouldn't be my main focus. The HP on the M3 and 911 is just so I get the feeling of upgrading from my previous car.

- - - Updated - - -

Which 996 variant in particular are you looking at? I'd imagine the 996 is probably going to come in at a better price.

6-speed coupe, RWD, non-turbo. 27k miles.
Found one with half the miles of an M3 for a few thousands cheaper.

Also found a turbo with 78k miles for the same price but it's an private party.

Last edited:

Ferrari engines make Porsche powerplants look like NSX engines. :)

To the OP, don't get either German crapmobile. You know that you're really lusting for an NSX>

Last edited:
M3 if you value your time... 996's are getting old.

Get an NSX if you have a killer cassette tape collection that you've been itching to put to use.

But in all seriousness... for a daily driver I would take a NSX over a 996 any day, then probably any other car over those two.

Last edited:
I unfortunately do not have personal experience from either, but I would take the M3. The 996 has not aged well at all, and as mentioned even a 996 carrera S is not much ( if any ) faster than a stock NSX in a straight line. I would say based on the market, any non turbo or GT3 996 will continue depreciate since its the least loved 911, and the looks are very boring.

The M3 at least has 4 doors, a nicer sounding engine, and its a newer car. If your talking about the 996 turbo, then I would take the porsche over bimmer.

996 Turbo, not even a comparison.

I've had both cars in the recent past. If you're going to go as far back as a 996 definitely opt for the Turbo. Having had a non-Turbo 996 it's not even close. Completely different car particularly with the AWD.

I was never a big fan of the look of the 996 and the interior setup is definitely inferior to the 997. If it was me I'd spend a few extra and find a 997 variant. The upgrades in power and handling are significant and the interior is much better. I had a '13 Carrera GTS 4 that was fantastic. Traded it for a '13 Turbo S.

That all being said there are some incredible deals on some low mileage 996 Turbos. I was bidding on one recently that went for just over $40K.

I currently have a '13 M3 couple with DCT which was an upgrade from a '08 M3 coupe with 6MT. The throws in the 6MT were long so I put in a Turner short shift kit. I have to say I really like the M3. It feels very different than a Porsche. For one, your driving position is higher, the car feels like it has a much higher center of gravity. The handling is good but not nearly on par with my Porsches. We also have a '14 Cayman S and that car is two clicks faster than the M3 in tight cornering.

If it was going to be my daily driver I'd go Porsche.

My opinion but I've never drove or been in any m3...

I got a ride with a prime member at Watkins Glenn in his 996 turbo. I think it was stock except for a rechip or reflash of his computer and he was running R compound tires "don't quote me on that though". I forget how much power he was putting down but maybe roughly 500whp. I was speaking with him about tracking and he said that the 996 turbo's are great cars that are reasonably priced now and the overall package is good for the street commute, and track events.

The 996 is considered to be the dog of the 50 year legacy of the 911. The primary reason is the IMS issue that looms over every non-turbo 996 motor from the first year (1999) to about 2006. It alost affects Boxters as well from 1997 on. The other "dog" justification is the headlights; many people attempt conversion to 997 headlights or various other aftermarket solutions to improve the front end appearance.

The 996 is considered to be the dog of the 50 year legacy of the 911. The primary reason is the IMS issue that looms over every non-turbo 996 motor from the first year (1999) to about 2006. It alost affects Boxters as well from 1997 on. The other "dog" justification is the headlights; many people attempt conversion to 997 headlights or various other aftermarket solutions to improve the front end appearance.

I actually like the 996 headlights the best. The round ones are outdated, but no matter because I've decided to go with the NSX because...well..it's an NSX

Found the color that I want in an '00 grey 6-speed targa at 115k for $43k, which I think is just a little too high.
I guess it only looks that way because there's a cheaper supercharged NSX for sale with 440HP.

Last edited:
Back