• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which car would you likely have right now if the NSX didn't exist?

Some of you may know I'm a bit believer in the s2000 but I seriously think the s2000 driving experience is quite similar to the NSX on many levels. Granted it's not a mid-engine car but bang for buck it's hard to beat!

Yes the new Vette / Viper are both cars that might also be great replacements for the NSX in the garage! :) Boy there were some hot ones at SEMA this year!

If money was no object, it would be a 458 like this one:

If I had to write the check, this Vette is pretty damn enticing:

The new Vette is hard to beat for the price and the overall package but I love the purity and driving experience of mid-engine sports cars. Plus I love having something a little different than the run of the mill. So for me it would be another blast from the past:

de-tomaso_pantera-gr-3-1972-79_r5.jpgde-tomaso-pantera.jpg

And with a Ford V-8 it might not hurt too much to keep it running.

Yellow Porsche Cayman

1990's 300ZX Twin Turbo or a Boxter S probably. I miss my Boxster S but I sure as hell wasn't going to give up the NSX for it. It was a 30 second decision when my 2000 NSX opportunity arose and the Boxster was for sale the next day. I had them both for a month and that was nice. The Boxster S had one of the greatest exhaust notes IMO.

I agree with s4play. If money where no object a 458 (spider for me) would already be in the garage (Sitting next to the NSX of course...).

Lets say the NSX didn't exist and you had to spend that amount on another car. What would you choose?
I cringe at the very thought that I would've likely had to have gone w/ an ESPRIT if there wasn't an NSX... :eek:
To further expand on the above more meaningfully, I've been in an NSX off-&-on since '98 (for reference) so I likely would've had two scenarios...

- if in the market late '90s - early '00s, I would've looked into an ESPRIT, FD RX-7, 3000GT, Elise

- if in the market early '00s - mid '00s, I would've looked into a Caymen S/R, 996.2/997 911 CS-C4S-Targa-etc, Evora, 360 Modena

Moving forward, I'm at a loss as to what else to add! The 12C is a reach (a very far reach), NSX-v2 doesn't make my heart skip a beat (yet), Gallardo is "affordable" but a Lamborghini isn't (if you know what I mean). I am M/R biased, having an MR-S, 911 Targa, and NSX...

If the NSX didn't exist, my savings would be going toward an M3 CSL, or an Ariel Atom. Although I do miss my Boosted RSX-S

One thing I consider now after reading the responses in this thread ~ what do you think cars would be like if the NSX had never existed? Would sportscars be as reliable? Would they have benchmarked another car for a similar combination of performance and livability? Would an NSX-like car have come forward to fill in this market gap?

Myself I looked at an Espirit when it seemed like I would never find an NSX but the reviews were not the greatest. Honestly I still have a soft spot for a Ferrari 348 or 355 with aggressive fitting wheels though.

If money was no object, I would have to have the Ferrari 288 GTO. To me, its one of the most beautiful cars of all time. And its no slouch - even by today's standards.

Since we're on the subject of money no object, 2 other car's I'd want in my garage:

Ferrari Stradale

lol... whats the other one?

If money is no object, for me there's no discussion. Koeneggsegg all the way.
Thing is so wicked.

If the NSX wasn't in my garage, I'd probably have a R8 spyder with the gated shifter, not sure if it'd be the 8 or 10 cylinder. Before I bought the GT, I had been tempted, but the GT is just so right!!!

If the NSX wasn't in my garage, I'd probably have a R8 spyder with the gated shifter, not sure if it'd be the 8 or 10 cylinder. Before I bought the GT, I had been tempted, but the GT is just so right!!!

The Ford GT is quite a machine.

I'd also like to add,

Legendary:
Ferrari F40

I've always thought of the NSX as a realistic F40, strictly based on looks (pop-up shape, that spoiler!).
I mean its not really a close match, but the F40 is a masterpiece so I like to think I've got an F40 of my own :smile:.

Lucas

Totally forgot about the R8, as I've never tracked their market residuals. I was greatly turned-off by the D.I. V8 4.2L carbon/sludge stuff.

Most likely, I'd be in one if it wasn't for the NSX. I grew up reveling Audis, for their uniqueness & design (and interiors/technology). And this was well before their recent/current hey-day.

I've always had a mental-block towards ~$75k+ vehicle acquisitions. Hence, all of the "contenders" I've listed in my posts in this thread.

Since we're on the subject of money no object, 2 other car's I'd want in my garage:

Ferrari Stradale
lol... whats the other one?
"There are three types of people in the world, those who can count & those who can't." :D

11 years ago when I was shopping for an NSX I also considered very seriously a 996 911 and a Dodge Viper GTS. I won the auction on the 996 but the seller refused to sell it to me b/c I won the Non-Reserve auction for $25k and he wanted $40k and I was about to drop the hammer on the GTS when DONYMO put the NSX I ended up buying up for sale... so probably I would have been driving a blue with white strips 1996 Viper GTS. I'm super happy I drove the NSX instead.

Back