• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which driver should help develop the new NSX?

For production cars, absolutely.

Do you think great cars of today from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, GTR all had inputs from race car drivers? These cars are all design using computers and wind tunnels.

In fact, without Senna, Honda was able to extract so much more from the NSX with the NA2 Type R simply by using the wind tunnel, something they didn't get to use back in the 80's.

no car is designed on a computer, then sold as is. they have in house drivers putting countless hours into developement. Senna gave a small contribution to the car that Honda engineers and drivers did not catch, which was it needed more stiffness. I am sure they all find racing drivers for feedback, but it is not always publicized. Ferrari's do get input from their F1 drivers, but most of the work is done by unsung heroes.

anyways, regardless of which racing driver provides input, no car will be tuned according to their preferences. it must be driveable by all, not just by the best drivers in the world.

For production cars, absolutely.

Do you think great cars of today from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, GTR all had inputs from race car drivers? These cars are all design using computers and wind tunnels.

In fact, without Senna, Honda was able to extract so much more from the NSX with the NA2 Type R simply by using the wind tunnel, something they didn't get to use back in the 80's.

I think that Honda already had a good chassis to start from...Senna had a say in how that original chassis was designed. With out Senna the NSX would have been too soft (I feel) He said the chassis wasn't stiff enough.

anyways, regardless of which racing driver provides input, no car will be tuned according to their preferences. it must be driveable by all, not just by the best drivers in the world.
There is a lot to be gained publicity wise by using a 'known' name to aid the development of the car. I'd bet on Dario Franchitti. He's a two time Indy 500 champion, 4 time series champion. Ganassi will be a Honda team next year, and probably the flagship team. It would be a shame to miss out on his talents and the PR benefit that goes with it.

If Mclaren goes back to Honda power as rumored, then it could be possible for Button and Hamilton to assist. But, my vote is for Rubens. He's got so much experience, is a phenomenonal driver and is known for being a good car developer, i.e., someone who is good at working with the engineers to identify and fix issues with the car. Problem is, most Americans don't know who Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello are. If you want this car to have the same effect in the US as the Senna/NSX combo did in Japan (where he is worshipped as a God), you need well known American road racers. Some names that come to mind are Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti, Paul Tracy, Tony Kanaan, Helio Castroneves and Dario Franchitti. You would probably need some NASCAR talent too, but most of those boneheads don't know what to do on a road course. The only two I can think of with any actual driving skill are Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart. I say have a 5 day testing session at mid-ohio and give each driver a day with the car and engineers.

Expect to see this car a lot at mid ohio. Be great if they buck the trend and test at Calabogie.

No offense gentleman but how can this car succeed if you keep trying to put it in the same path as version 1.0? What if Honda finds some knew unknown talent that absolutely gels with the car and what the new vision is.

Perhaps old men should let a new day dawn:wink:

No offense gentleman but how can this car succeed if you keep trying to put it in the same path as version 1.0? What if Honda finds some knew unknown talent that absolutely gels with the car and what the new vision is.

Perhaps old men should let a new day dawn:wink:
I feel the exact same way. It's human nature to want to revert back to what works (Senna, V8/V10) but i'm hoping for a lot more forward-looking technology coming from Honda. Go Honda!

I feel the exact same way. It's human nature to want to revert back to what works (Senna, V8/V10) but i'm hoping for a lot more forward-looking technology coming from Honda. Go Honda!

yes.

Hamilton and Button are not choices because Mclaren has plans beyond the MP4 12C. Schui drives for MB F1 and has sold alot of his Ferrari stuff. Honda has no one after they exited from F1.

Hamilton and Button are not choices because Mclaren has plans beyond the MP4 12C. Schui drives for MB F1 and has sold alot of his Ferrari stuff. Honda has no one after they exited from F1.

Mark Webber or Sebastian Vettel!

Mark Webber or Sebastian Vettel!

I say Vettel. He's not attached to any "street-able" brand and he has the credentials to do the job. He has the driving skills, the record and the charisma to advance the image. If he's not available, give me a call. I would be a great second choice. :biggrin:

Gary

I say Vettel. He's not attached to any "street-able" brand and he has the credentials to do the job. He has the driving skills, the record and the charisma to advance the image. If he's not available, give me a call. I would be a great second choice. :biggrin:

Gary

Actually, Sebastian Vettel is a Renault driver, and Renault owns Nissan, and Nissan makes Infiniti. I think the Infiniti booth at Detroit had Vettles race winning car or on display, and he recently took delivery of the "Sebastian Vettel Edition FX" SUV.

A likely candidate would be PD esp since he was at the Detroit show. Button would be my other larger name due to his long assoc. with Honda. Stuntman certainly has the knowledge base and communication skills to be effective.I would love the oportunity to be involved as well....as would all of us:smile:

If the purpose is for publicity, get an F1 or Indycar driver. If the purpose is truly to sort the car out for it's best track day potential, then there is nobody better suited than Peter Cunningham who has more time driving an NSX on the tracks that we get to drive in America than anyone and nobody who has had as much success.

If the purpose is for publicity, get an F1 or Indycar driver. If the purpose is truly to sort the car out for it's best track day potential, then there is nobody better suited than Peter Cunningham who has more time driving an NSX on the tracks that we get to drive in America than anyone and nobody who has had as much success.
I think we could see both scenarios. Personally, I think publicity is going to win the day. I can already envision the "making of" video. They'll have Dario Franchitti out there along with Ashley Judd talking about how they're "helping" the Honda engineers with the development of the next NSX.

In the background, Peter Cunningham will be pulling the car into the garage after he's done the work on the track.... :wink:. Of course, I'm only joking. Dario Franchitti is a hell of a driver and I'm sure he could bring a lot to the table both development wise and publicity wise. When it comes to actually prepping the car for race work, they'll probably turn it over to RealTime Racing, Dyson or Highcroft, because what you need a race car are very different from what you need for a street car (as someone mentioned earlier).

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Gil DeFerran. Long-time association to Honda as CART champion while at Penske, Sporting Director at BAR & team principal of his own ALMS squad. If I'm not mistaken, he was heavily involved in the development & selection process for next season's new IndyCar because of his technical knowledge, motorsports experience across different series and roles and the widespread respect he holds within the racing industry.

I also believe he still holds the world speed record for fastest lap on a closed course. He also happens to be a Brazilian, just like the other fellow that helped develop the NSX.

Just a thought...

Keiichi Tsuchiya and Gansan maybe?

Attachments

• NSXTypeR1.jpg
    NSXTypeR1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 25
  • BestMotoring_Mr_Kurasawa.jpg
    BestMotoring_Mr_Kurasawa.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Gansan at Nurburgring Type R.jpg
    Gansan at Nurburgring Type R.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 27