• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which Oil Filter is Best?

It is time for an oil change, but I am having a hard time finding a high quality oil filter.
Two years ago I bought 4 Denso filters, but cannot find them now.
I have been unable to find filters fitting my '99 3.2 from the best rated filters (Mobile 1, Royal Purple, Wix XP).

Pick these up at your NAPA store , believe it or not - also notice the reference part numbers - a match to Honda/Acura - photo cred to Bob RSO34

image.jpeg

Last edited:
This concern over the discontinued tall vs newer OEM (small version) oil filter is silly. Get the OEM filter from the dealer, yes the new smaller one and you'll be using what Honda at the factory refresh center uses.

Last edited:
This concern over the discontinued tall vs newer OEM (small version) oil filter is silly. Get the OEM filter from the dealer, yes the new smaller one and you'll be using what Honda at the factory refresh center uses.

Could not agree more. See the link below, it is a picture from the NSX refresh center, showing an NSX during restoration. Notice the oil filter, the small one. If the factory refresh center is OK with it, me too........

https://photography.robertondrovic.com/Travel/NSX-Fiesta-2010-Japan/i-vPcxmDX/A

:)

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
353b2c6d8bfab86107699f4c1586484c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NAPA Gold # 1378 is made by Wix, same as the XP you were looking for. Was going to post a photo of my Denso stock, but it's the same as Warren's above :biggrin:

The tall Denso filter for the NSX has been discontinued. Denso deleted the part entirely from their US parts catalog. So I doubt Amazon will be getting any more stock.

However I've been able to find two other Japanese brand filters that are still readily available: Union Sangyo and Nippon Micro. Both appear to be nearly the same as the original Honda tall filter. You can get the Union Sangyo on Ebay for really cheap or you can order the more expensive (and probably better) Nippon Micro from the thensxshop.com. If you're in a hurry grab a Union Sangyo, otherwise order a bunch of the Nippon Micro filters from Japan. I believe both of these filters are as good or better than the discontinued Denso.

I do not recall, that was a many years ago, but I do not see any difference..

Item number for oil filter is the same for all years in the OEM parts catalog.

JMO

Regards,
LarryB

I do not recall, that was a many years ago, but I do not see any difference..

Item number for oil filter is the same for all years in the OEM parts catalog.

JMO

Regards,
LarryB

I’m sorry Larry, I was just kidding, trying to draw in Ken Sax for fun, with the NA1/NA2 question. Though in hindsight, a question about an engine component being NA1 or 2 might be rather easily confused as a serious question! :)

Thanks for all the responses.
I ended up installing the Honda filter (15400-PL2-505).
I noticed the oil pressure gauge reads 6 kg/cm2 at idle with the new filter. The pressure at idle was just under 3 kg/cm2 with the previous Denso 150-1013 filter.
Any thoughts?

So about out of Denso filters. What is everyone using now? Also looks like thensxshop.com is no more unfortunately which is a bummer cause I need some targa seals soon.

i believe thensxshop.com has turned into MITA motorsports. As for filters. someone found that NAPA sells oil filters that are on sale for about $5 a piece. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATM...ressionRank=1&keywordInput=part+#+atm+3612905
ive bought three and they were delivered within 2 days! :smile:
So about out of Denso filters. What is everyone using now? Also looks like thensxshop.com is no more unfortunately which is a bummer cause I need some targa seals soon.

www.mitamotorsports.com

Changed for expansion and more branding.

Sent from my SM-G9980 using Tapatalk

Back