• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which suspension set up?

I tried searching it but was impossible to get a concise answer.

My question is, for track use, which is the better suspension:

Toda
Moton
JRZ (Essentially the same as Moton)
NSX-R
Tein
Comptech
Or any other combo/suspension you have...which is better?

I think opinions will vary, but most of the above mentioned have been raced with, based on what I have read & Videos I have seen JZR seems to be the current favorite.

If I were in the market I would probably lean towards the Type-R since its comfortable enough for street and track or Type S Zinardi.

Moton or JRZ (two way or three-way adjustable) dampers - HANDS DOWN.

Throw some swift springs in there with the proper rate and you'll have a car that's more comfortable on the street and handle better on the track than anything else on the market.

I guess I should've mentioned it but I'm not concerned about street ride quality...

I guess I should've mentioned it but I'm not concerned about street ride quality...
3-way adjustable Motons
3-way adjustable JRZs
2-way adjustable Motons
2-way adjustable JRZs
Moton Club Sports (2-way adjustable)
JRZ "club sport" equivalent (2-way adjustable)

-in that order. JRZ/Moton -same thing, but the "club sport" versions are less expensive, not made from aluminum, and the 'clicks'/adjustments aren't as fine-tuned as the 2-way adjustable racing damper.

3-way is the best, but can get you into trouble if you dont know what you're doing, and 4-way, forget about it unless you or a friend is a race engineer.

www.m-workz.net if you're in southern california

What type of tracking do you plan to do?

We have two+ track/race cars here that are very competitive if not leading their classes, and they all run on Comptech Pro though with different spring rates. Why would you need something more?

I currently have the Comptech Pro setup with 1200/800 springs Ft/Rear.
I like this setup.

When I first installed coil overs I went with the Tien's RE's. I couldn't seem to get these to work well. I tried different spring rates and sway bars etc...

I pulled Tien's and went with the Comptech Pro setup.
I am very pleased with this setup.:smile: "Kip Thanks!"

What type of tracking do you plan to do?

We have two+ track/race cars here that are very competitive if not leading their classes, and they all run on Comptech Pro though with different spring rates. Why would you need something more?

I never said I needed more...just asking for opinions and yes Comptech was included in the options of possible suspensions I listed...

Thanks for all your responses...I'll be running at Sebring, Homestead, Daytona and Moroso...all require different set ups, how easy are the Comptechs to adjust (if they are at all)?

As stated the type R will probably not give you the track performance that the 1000/600 or 800 combo would.If you have budget concearns the comptech setup is nice if not I would talk to Shad,stuntman,or titanium Dave about thier favorite springrates and why and than match those with the jrz or motons.

Another question is what is the extent of your understanding of vehicle dynamics?

Single adjustable dampers are easy since "stiffer or harder" is an easy concept to understand.

When you get into double adjustable Koni/JRZ/Moton/KW, having separately adjustable bump and rebound can really single out and improve characteristics of your cars handling.

Triple adjustable dampers (high & low speed bump, and Rebound adjustments) with remote canisters (you can also adjust canister pressure) can further single out and improve the attitude of your car and the way your car rolls/feels. But its a double edged sword. You can make your car handle like crap if you dont know what you're doing.

Their are some good racecar engineering books out there to read to understand and brush up on concepts that will greatly help your driving and decisions when playing with your dampers.

My pick would be Moton or JRZ. A new option that hopefully will be out soon is KW Suspensions. I'm in discussions with them in regards to designing their Varient 3 damper for the NSX that which is double adjustable and offers premium performance (Moton/JRZ performance) for single adjustable coilover prices. I've been really impressed with KWs products in many cars that I have raced and think they will be a great option once they offer it.

Another question is what is the extent of your understanding of vehicle dynamics?

Single adjustable dampers are easy since "stiffer or harder" is an easy concept to understand.

When you get into double adjustable Koni/JRZ/Moton/KW, having separately adjustable bump and rebound can really single out and improve characteristics of your cars handling.

Triple adjustable dampers (high & low speed bump, and Rebound adjustments) with remote canisters (you can also adjust canister pressure) can further single out and improve the attitude of your car and the way your car rolls/feels. But its a double edged sword. You can make your car handle like crap if you dont know what you're doing.

Their are some good racecar engineering books out there to read to understand and brush up on concepts that will greatly help your driving and decisions when playing with your dampers.

My pick would be Moton or JRZ. A new option that hopefully will be out soon is KW Suspensions. I'm in discussions with them in regards to designing their Varient 3 damper for the NSX that which is double adjustable and offers premium performance (Moton/JRZ performance) for single adjustable coilover prices. I've been really impressed with KWs products in many cars that I have raced and think they will be a great option once they offer it.

First off thank you.

As far as vehicle and suspension most of my experience is of/on open wheel formula cars (Formula 3, Formula Renault, Formula 2000, etc...) and some saloon cars (mainly Porsche GT3/RS and Cup cars)...so I'm familiar with Motons/JRZ/Bilstein/KW Suspension just not how they work on NSX's

Ideally what I would like is to set the car up with the equivalent of a "Cup car" suspension...btw I'm also leaning towards the Motons as I know thats what RTR used during their Speed World Challenge assault...

First off thank you.

As far as vehicle and suspension most of my experience is of/on open wheel formula cars (Formula 3, Formula Renault, Formula 2000, etc...) and some saloon cars (mainly Porsche GT3/RS and Cup cars)...so I'm familiar with Motons/JRZ/Bilstein/KW Suspension just not how they work on NSX's

Ideally what I would like is to set the car up with the equivalent of a "Cup car" suspension...btw I'm also leaning towards the Motons as I know thats what RTR used during their Speed World Challenge assault...
Well then you know the likes of Penske Triples, Sachs Triples, and Moton Triples. Can't go wrong with any of them, and with a little work in the suspension with bushings/monoballs, you can get the "Cup car" equivalent performance out of the NSX. Sounds like you have a good background, you know saloons are no where near as sensitive as Formula Cars.

FYI - we use Moton Triples on the Factor X FX750 I drive in Time Attack events. But you can get any other good damper (Penske, Sachs, KW, etc...) to work well.
FX750LagunaSeca.jpg

OH, and do I know you? :confused:

Well then you know the likes of Penske Triples, Sachs Triples, and Moton Triples. Can't go wrong with any of them, and with a little work in the suspension with bushings/monoballs, you can get the "Cup car" equivalent performance out of the NSX. Sounds like you have a good background, you know saloons are no where near as sensitive as Formula Cars.

FYI - we use Moton Triples on the Factor X FX750 I drive in Time Attack events. But you can get any other good damper (Penske, Sachs, KW, etc...) to work well.
FX750LagunaSeca.jpg

OH, and do I know you? :confused:

Man all that info is really helpful...btw what an awesome car you have there must be pure joy to drive...

And to answer your question, I live in South Florida, I'm south American and did most of driving/racing in Europe...have really only gotten to race in Cali a couple/few times...

Oh by the way...what headlights are those??

First off thank you.

Just because RTR used them doesn't mean they are ideal for you. They may have known how to tune them for that car and spent the time to do such. Also consider this is a race car that is gutted with a cage. Do you have a cage? Is your car a coup or targa? Have you removed all the compliance?
I'm not trying to discourage you. The car is only as good as the sum of the components and how they are tuned. Drivers preference can also factor in.

I not trying to say the Moton's are not good but your application may not be ideal or maybe it is? Spending money doesn't mean your car will handle better. I suspect the Motons are pretty decent though.

I am only saying this because I have seen people buy a setup but not feel as they got there moneys worth. If you don't have the tires camber etc... It doesn't help that much. Everything is incremental.

For the record... I am over the deep end. Most would not consider my car streetable. although it is still street legal. I seldom drive it on the street.
I trailer the car to the track. I am happy with the car on the track but I'm sure it could be better. I'm just running out of stuff to change sense or money. I go to the track frequently. :smile:

Enjoy there are very few cars that the NSX can't get around on track once modified.

^can't go wrong with Moton's off the shelf valving. Even with 1200lbs springs, the dampers actually do a great job making the ride much more streetable than some 600lb rates ive driven on with other dampers.

Figure out the motion ratios and the wheel rates you want and go from there. He said it wasn't for a street car.

He also raced some pretty technical cars, I wouldn't classify him as the average "schmo" who wants to make his car handle well :wink:

I race all over North America, been to Florida a lot... You never know...

at first, I was going to respond this post and wondering why nobody mentioned the Koni, and stating I'm extremely happy with the setup Andre @ Prima Racing set up for me. I haven't even driven my car on track with this set up yet and I already fell in love with it. (Comptech hardware, 1000/600 with Koni 2812lb.)

It seems like you are way more better driver than me, I don't even know what to say now... Since you have the Willow track record, you probably know Andre too, I suggest you give him a ring or email and see what his suggestion going to be. (He could get JRZ and moton too.)

Just because RTR used them doesn't mean they are ideal for you. They may have known how to tune them for that car and spent the time to do such. Also consider this is a race car that is gutted with a cage. Do you have a cage? Is your car a coup or targa? Have you removed all the compliance?
I'm not trying to discourage you. The car is only as good as the sum of the components and how they are tuned. Drivers preference can also factor in.

I not trying to say the Moton's are not good but your application may not be ideal or maybe it is? Spending money doesn't mean your car will handle better. I suspect the Motons are pretty decent though.

I am only saying this because I have seen people buy a setup but not feel as they got there moneys worth. If you don't have the tires camber etc... It doesn't help that much. Everything is incremental.

For the record... I am over the deep end. Most would not consider my car streetable. although it is still street legal. I seldom drive it on the street.
I trailer the car to the track. I am happy with the car on the track but I'm sure it could be better. I'm just running out of stuff to change sense or money. I go to the track frequently. :smile:

Enjoy there are very few cars that the NSX can't get around on track once modified.
Because of my background I like my cars to be very stiff...go-kart like...I will however state that with most saloon cars that doesn't usually work...and by the way it does have a cage...

^can't go wrong with Moton's off the shelf valving. Even with 1200lbs springs, the dampers actually do a great job making the ride much more streetable than some 600lb rates ive driven on with other dampers.

Figure out the motion ratios and the wheel rates you want and go from there. He said it wasn't for a street car.

He also raced some pretty technical cars, I wouldn't classify him as the average "schmo" who wants to make his car handle well :wink:

I race all over North America, been to Florida a lot... You never know...

well next time you come to FL let me know...and you're right you never know.

Because of my background I like my cars to be very stiff...go-kart like...I will however state that with most saloon cars that doesn't usually work...and by the way it does have a cage...

Awesome... My car is very stiff. I like it but some do not.
Track out here in Northern California are nice and smooth. The roads are awful.

well next time you come to FL let me know...and you're right you never know.

Ok. My wife has family in FL. I haven't out in some time. My wife was out a few years ago.

Maybe you will come out to nsxpo in September. I'll be there. :)

Good luck.
Later,
Don

Awesome... My car is very stiff. I like it but some do not.
Track out here in Northern California are nice and smooth. The roads are awful...

Out here the roads aren't smooth at all, but have you ever driven Sebring...:eek: :eek: :tongue: OTOH Homestead and Daytona are pretty smooth...

I wouldn't discourage you from any of the above respected names, but to throw a hat in the ring would be Nitron who offer 1/2/3-way kits.

Nitron make beautiful pieces which are very lightweight being aluminium. The technology is not old either, whereas i'm not sure on competitors such as Moton where their NSX kit has been around a while as far as i know...

http://www.nitron.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_17_59

We're also developing an Ohlins kit with their TTX damper as used by a lot of GT3 cars which is the best on the market, but is a no-no for road use.

Cheers

ROb

I tried searching it but was impossible to get a concise answer.

My question is, for track use, which is the better suspension:

Toda
Moton
JRZ (Essentially the same as Moton)
NSX-R
Tein
Comptech
Or any other combo/suspension you have...which is better?

I had Zeal Function B6 for a little more than 2 years and currently riding on DG5. Have you heard of these? Maybe worth looking into......!

Back