• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why don't more owners run cams?

The lift of the OEM VTEC lobes is really mild. Mac Attack measured the OEM camshafts in his 130,000 mile engine here. Based on his measurements, his OEM camshafts have a maximum lift at the cam (not at the valve) of .25” (6.35mm) on the intake side and .2255” (5.73mm) on the exhaust side.

So those Revolution camshafts do offer usefully more lift. It’s nice that Revolution lists the lift at points other than at the maximum so that we can get an idea of how long the cams are close to maximum lift. Unfortunately, I’ve never seen those specs for any other NSX camshafts so it’s hard to know how they compare in that respect.

Since we have dedicated low speed cams in our engines to give us a stable idle and good fuel efficiency, the high speed cams could be designed to be really, really wild, it seems to me. In their 1994 catalog, Comptech stated, “Camshafts: Only the V-Tech [sic] lobes are redesigned. They are first welded with a hard face overlay and reground increasing valve lift and duration while retaining the stock base circle. This keeps the valve geometry stock for best valve life and a smooth transition from the low lift valve [sic] to the V-Tech valve [sic].”

If Comptech went to the trouble of welding a hard face overlay onto the VTEC cams, I wonder why they decided to go with the lift, duration, steepness of the valve flanks, time close to maximum lift, etc. that they did. I’d hope they 1) designed the VTEC lobes for maximum performance given the limitations posed by the cylinder head geometry and valve to piston clearance, and 2) knew what they were doing. They had just won the IMSA GTP manufacturer’s and driver’s titles with a heavily modified naturally-aspirated 3.0 liter NSX engine in 1991, 1992, and 1993, after all.

Several years later, Toda-powered NSXs won JGTC titles. I’d hope Toda knew what they were doing, too.

If VTEC cams can be made that produce more horsepower than what Comptech and Toda designed, that would be fantastic. If that’s possible given the geometry of an NSX engine, I wonder why Comptech and Toda left horsepower on the table, though.

I did not know the Comptech cams were hardwelded...I always thought that they were reground.

Web cams will do the hard weld procedure...for $3800 :eek: Might was well buy the Todas at that price point.

Yeah, I saw it. It is the Q45 with adapter plate.

We determined that there is no way to get the Q45 to bolt on without losing a lot of performance. In order to get the Q45 to bolt on, the adapter plate would have to have such a tremendous taper (80 mm to maybe 70 mm) that it would kill any performance gains.

The new setup I am working on is a 74 mm inlet, 74 mm outlet feeding a 75 mm snout (at the intake manifold).

Yeah, I saw it. It is the Q45 with adapter plate.

We determined that there is no way to get the Q45 to bolt on without losing a lot of performance. In order to get the Q45 to bolt on, the adapter plate would have to have such a tremendous taper (80 mm to maybe 70 mm) that it would kill any performance gains.

The new setup I am working on is a 74 mm inlet, 74 mm outlet feeding a 75 mm snout (at the intake manifold).

Were you able to snag ponyboy's zr1 tb for testing?

if it werent for CA smog, i would totally run Toda cams... heck i might even go VTEC Killers.

Assuming the non-VTEC lobes are stock, Toda cams should have no problem passing smog.

VTEC killers would be horrible for a street car.

any updates here?
I am looking at getting Portflow design to give the heads a bit more breath so thought i would look into cams while i was at it. SOS have discontinued their cams

I picked up a set of the old discontinued Comptech (hard-welded) cams from Shad at DA. These cams have much more lift than the regrinds that Bisi/SoS/Web offers (BTW, those are all the same grind).

Your options at this point are:

1. find a used set of Comptech cams
2. buy a new set of Todas
3. talk to your countryman over at Kelford - they were willing to make some cams for me but wanted 20-25 sets to make it worth their time.

Kelford or Franklins over here was the next stop as i have some spare cams to do this but would need some specs for them to do so, does anyone have some specs?
a set of Todas are about $6000NZD
So do you know of any second hand comptechs?

Toda specs:

A : 233(9.3) / 285(12.0) / 238(9.7) F/IN
A : 238(8.4) / 280(12.0) / 243(8.7) F/EX
A : 233(9.3) / 285(12.0) / 238(9.7) R/IN
A : 238(8.4) / 280(12.0) / 243(8.7) R/EX

---

B : 250(11.0) / 295(12.0) / 250(11.0) F/IN
B : 250(11.0) / 285(12.0) / 250(11.0) F/EX
B : 250(11.0) / 295(12.0) / 250(11.0) R/IN
B : 250(11.0) / 285(12.0) / 250(11.0) R/EX

---

C : 250(11.0) / 295(12.5) / 250(11.0) F/IN
C : 250(11.0) / 295(12.5) / 250(11.0) F/EX
C : 250(11.0) / 295(12.5) / 250(11.0) R/IN
C : 250(11.0) / 295(12.5) / 250(11.0) R/EX

Just got back from Vienna where an S2K with C30A was dynoed. Mods: TODA C, CT cam gears, headers, Wisecos 11.5:1, SoS ITBs, ported heads with stock valves. not fine tuned but 385hp to the engine. Nice numbers: 128,33 hp/litre. :) Runs like stock on idle.

110520131268.jpg

What happened to Comptech cams? What is thr issue with finding a new vendor to build a new lot of cams to the comptech specs?

- - - Updated - - -

What happened to Comptech cams? What is thr issue with finding a new vendor to build a new lot of cams to the comptech specs?

Has anyone spoken with Toda regarding why they didn't give the VTEC lobes of their Spec A camshafts 12.5mm of lift and when they would recommend someone should buy Spec B camshafts instead of going with Spec A or Spec C?

Edit: Do you maybe need custom pistons if you are running 12.5mm of lift to avoid valve-to-piston contact?

Last edited:
If there is any correlation to the B-series Toda cam's, the spec B and C cams need more compression to optimize.

IIRC, at least for the B-series cams, theoretically:

-Spec A's drove like "OEM" in the lower end of the RPM range, then increased HP at higher RPMs

-Spec B's increased both low and top end power so they were more suited for road racing because of the flatter, more evenly bumped up powerband compared to the Spec As. Mild compression increase to realize full potential. Decking the cylinder head and a thinner head gasket would probably be enough. (> 10.6 CR, at least for the B-series cams)

-Spec C's bumped up power compared to the B's, but required further increased compression for maximum gains: new pistons, etc, etc.

Given the dilemma of which cam to choose, I'd probably go with the Spec Bs since they should give a balanced powerband without needing a host of other changes to the engine internals to support them.

Just got back from Vienna where an S2K with C30A was dynoed. Mods: TODA C, CT cam gears, headers, Wisecos 11.5:1, SoS ITBs, ported heads with stock valves. not fine tuned but 385hp to the engine. Nice numbers: 128,33 hp/litre. :) Runs like stock on idle.

View attachment 100866

Absolutely incredible!

Perfect S2000!

Regarding the compression,
Generally compression is increased with the TODA cam's as they are generally reserved for high end builds due to pricing.

It depends on what octane level you can obtain locally.
I'd for example require my daily to run RON 95 as that's commonly available in Europe, 98 can occasionally be tougher to find here.

Although for a project classic car of mine I'm possibly going to 12.5:1 comp (when i can find those rare cylinder heads i need :mad:)

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone knows why both SOS and Comptech (CT Engineering) have discontinued their cams?

When Comptech brought their cams out this was before it was a popular upgrade, now days most people upgrade cams when chasing more power.

Just curious if anyone knows why both SOS and Comptech (CT Engineering) have discontinued their cams?

When Comptech brought their cams out this was before it was a popular upgrade, now days most people upgrade cams when chasing more power.

I would also like an answer to this. Seems like if you could get enough buyers together, that it would be worthwhile for a vendor to produce some..

Back