• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Why is it bad for a 91 NSX to have a new coat of paint and not OEM

In most cases people love it when they can get a car not wrecked and a fresh paint job. I bought a 92 SIlver NSX that had fresh coat of paint with 6 yr warranty....I was happy. the owner said the detail guy got over agressive with the buffer and burned into the paint in several spots. So a freind repainted(of owner) the whole car, jams and all ( No eng removal) for 3k......

I have been parked next to a silver one....The shine on mine vs the other is totally different. I mean the colors are the same, but you can see mine from a mile away..... SO whats so bad about an aftermarket paint job for a car that is 16 years old?????

Last edited:
Me taking a guess, I don't think it has anything to do with the paint itself. (As most would love fresh, shiny paint.) It just means to potential buyers that the car had been garaged, babied, and taken care of...if the original paint was still there and in good condition. It also leaves potential buyers with a peace of mind that a new paint job wasn't hiding a prior accident or other problems such as careless treatment or parking outside, etc.! That's just my opinion, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Me taking a guess, I don't think it has anything to do with the paint itself. (As most would love fresh, shiny paint.) It just means to potential buyers that the car had been garaged, babied, and taken care of...if the original paint was still there and in good condition. It also leaves potential buyers with a peace of mind that a new paint job wasn't hiding a prior accident or other problems such as careless treatment or parking outside, etc.! That's just my opinion, so correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I've read this is right on...

Also it would be extremely difficult to get an aftermarket paint job that is anywhere near as good as the one that came from the factory. I'd rather have the original paint that is kept in good condition.

Also it would be extremely difficult to get an aftermarket paint job that is anywhere near as good as the one that came from the factory. I'd rather have the original paint that is kept in good condition.
I here what you saying also...I have seen many NSX with oem paint job. I have two. One red (Oem) the other silver (aftermarket) . The silver one looks like glass (4 coats of paint and 3 clearcoats) . My red one is garaged, but the fact remain---Things happen to cars like rock pop ups and debris that produce some scratches more noticeable then the others. So i am presented with the decision of painting the red, even though nothing is wrong with the paint as a whole.....But if I sell it later someone might care.....I guess my priority is 1. Mechanical. 2. Interior 3. Exterior( non wrecked) .......Their are some people who don't wash their cars, but you can eat off the floor....

My Buddy paid 1500 to wet sand and polish his rx7 when he could have gotten it painted for less....So i guess he is from the same school....

Dont Shoot me for Saying this....

I bought a sport trac for work in 04. It had been used as a farm truck, so It stayed in the sun and mud daily......Since it was a worl truck I got the top notch MACCO paint job for 699.00...........wow 4 years later it still looks new........cross my fingers......

My buddy let them do his wings west kit install and all for 600....

I paid 1500 from Acura Dealer.....and his looks better all the way around....

Very true. I had forgotten this, although it's the reason I want to find the color NSX I want rather than just painting it...

agreed....I wouldn't buy a red to paint silver....

However, I frequent car shows that have custom paint jobs.....

I have seen a llot of autos with better after market looks then OEM....

With that being said it can cost an arm and a leg if its not done by a friend.

I really wonder can anyone tell in person that my car has been painted....

color is perfect match...but it Obviously shines more then even a garaged kept car.....Maybe I will need to dull it up some when I sell it at the end of the SUMMER.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed from aftermarket paint is that it does not hold up as well. I had the bumper & hood repainted on a previous car, and it looked good for about 3 years, then the shine starts to get dull (it was parked out door on the drive way). Furthermore, I don't think it hold up to road debris (i.e, rock chips). My observations is definitely subjective, and I don't want you to think that all aftermarket paint will do this. This is just my past experience.

One thing I noticed from aftermarket paint is that it does not hold up as well. I had the bumper & hood repainted on a previous car, and it looked good for about 3 years, then the shine starts to get dull (it was parked out door on the drive way). Furthermore, I don't think it hold up to road debris (i.e, rock chips). My observations is definitely subjective, and I don't want you to think that all aftermarket paint will do this. This is just my past experience.

I totally agree with this and especially with the NSX. :smile:

oh i agree....all aftermarket paint used and painters are not created equal....

Is the Paint on an NSX or process any different then the one used on any honda or acura??? off subject I have an 01 Lexus that was never garaged and Looks better paint wise then my Neighbor 01 NSX that was always garaged....

Paints today are much more advanced than 17 years ago, {and much more expensive}. I'll agree that alot more detail and attention was taken on the original painting of the NSX, but with the right painter and the right products a repainted NSX can look like a showcar.

hopefully no one will hold it against my car for being repainted.....Thanks for info....and dialect......I def will keep it in the garage....Its almost bad that some day when I sell mine, I might be questioned about the paint...(shine)....lol....Hopefully they overlook it for the CTSC(18-22k in all around mods).....:smile:

For the earlier cars in doubt don't paint it just to remove some fine scratches etc. These cars were painted like no other car I've ever seen. Repainting only is only worsening things here. Even high-end shops can't do it!
On the 02+ cars the paint is not as sweet as on the 91's.

The OEM NSX paint job used a 28 step process that was considered many as the Industry best back in its heyday. Additionally, earlier red NSXs have a tinted clear coat.

Even if one were to repaint it due to chips and such, there isn't a need to repaint the entire thing.

Furthermore, I find the whole story about the detailer being over aggressive with the buffer hard to believe. If this was a professional, how can he make mistakes, not once, but several times on the same car during the same detail? Why didn’t the owner stop him after he made the 1st mistake? Did this same detailer compensate the ex-owner for the full repaint?

Just last week a mobile bumper repair guy came over to fix this scrape on my Porsche. He sanded it, primed it, painted the area, clear coated it and blended everything in, all in my garage. Can't tell it was even there and never had to resort to painting the whole thing.

Even when my window pillar on my BMW got egged by kids, the body shop just fixed that specific area. I'm amazed at what they can do nowadays.

A garaged car's paint can also look dull just because dust can still accumulate on the paint. I also must say that just comparing the car's paint job, and not factoring in how the car is being treated by not only its current owner, but its previous owners as well is wrong.

I've seen many people who've purchased used NSXs and complain about the paint and problems. These same cars they have were poorly maintained, poorly cared for, yet they still seem to think there is no correlation between a car's reliability/condition and poor past ownership.

For me personally I would never get a car that has a full repaint, unless it was at a significant discount. Or it was done professionally like those restorations done on classic cars where every step of the repaint was fully documented. Otherwise there are too many unanswered questions.

I heard this once from someone who almost told me:

1) If the painter is not very tall and has short legs it could easily be more than a 28 step paint process.

2) The best way to document every step is to have the painter step into a small pan filled with black paint before he begins.

3) The best way to make your car shine is by going on a really dark road and turning the headlights on.

alfalfa.jpg

Sell it? You JUST lowered it! :wink:

Selling the RED automatic for sure....Not so sure about Silver CTSC.....

Drove a 02 with SC.....Wishing I had that now.....So who Knows...But before I buy another one.....And My wife divorce me..Something has to go....

So I am def making room for r8 or 02 NSX (SC)-----Since the NEw NSX seem like it will never come out........m6 and one nsx or 2 for sale...soon...

Last edited:
]

The OEM NSX paint job used a 28 step process that was considered many as the Industry best back in its heyday. Additionally, earlier red NSXs have a tinted clear coat.
I understand totally get OEM Paint if you can…WITH ANY CAR…Not Just NSX. Maybe as Technology has changed a 28 step process is not needed anymore...LOL...

I am sure every Luxury/Exotic/super Car manufacture will claim this.
My Biz Partner has a Silver Flying Bentley.....Both Waxed Side By Side, you would thing the NSX is an 07 also (Paint Wise) I know I am comparing apple to oranges, but so many people do that on prime (NSX vs m3) lol...

Even if one were to repaint it due to chips and such, there isn't a need to repaint the entire thing.

Cool---I just will have the red Bumper Painted...Instead of Total Repiant...(Rock Chips)

Agreed, My wife scrapped the fender on 645….I got a local shop to do and BMW cant even tell after 140pt inspection to recertify….

Furthermore, I find the whole story about the detailer being over aggressive with the buffer hard to believe. If this was a professional, how can he make mistakes, not once, but several times on the same car during the same detail? Why didn’t the owner stop him after he made the 1st mistake? Did this same detailer compensate the ex-owner for the full repaint?

I cant speak of what really happen. Car Fax was clean, inspection by Acura clean, all receipts for 14 yrs given, talked to painter…….It it had all new leather and carpet PLUS CTSC for less then 30…..I was sold… I was told by Acura that the owner was an ANAL SOB….and said fix anything that may even look like it may break…….Interior, Exterior, Stereo, RIMS, CTSC came to over a 20k value….so aftermarket paint JOB seemed very minor at the time(hope I am not wrong)… Everyone I run into comment on the shine…will it last 10 yrs….maybe not. Will I own for 10 yrs…Heck no….Most cars I have I own for a short time…But I do take care of…..Even my Sport Trac… ALSO anyone can buy a Buffer, Water hose and some wax and call themselves a detailer or professional. Even a professional can make a mistake.
I was told Tar was on Hood….He tried to use a HIGH SPEED buffer to get it off and it went into the paint. The Paint Person told him he could just do the HOOD, but for the price he said just paint the whole car…

Just last week a mobile bumper repair guy came over to fix this scrape on my Porsche. He sanded it, primed it, painted the area, clear coated it and blended everything in, all in my garage. Can't tell it was even there and never had to resort to painting the whole thing.

MOBILE REAPIRS ARE GREAT

Even when my window pillar on my BMW got egged by kids, the body shop just fixed that specific area. I'm amazed at what they can do nowadays.

A garaged car's paint can also look dull just because dust can still accumulate on the paint. I also must say that just comparing the car's paint job, and not factoring in how the car is being treated by not only its current owner, but its previous owners as well is wrong.

We have been Neighbors Since 2000. HE bought the NSX new and I the LEXUS new. We both Have 4 car Garages. 3 in front 1 under the HOUSE. I keep the Lexus out for it was a DD for 5 years…..He drives the NSX on the weekend only and that’s sometime. I hardly wash the LEXUS for even when dirty it shines. BOTH Are the same color. He has a mobile service come and detail his car monthly…..The point of my statement was really to say LEXUS has hell of a paint job….Not to say NSX doesn’t…..But again, I didn’t do a study nor do I have empirical data to support my statement. However, the owner of the NSX stated himself how the HELL is your car color richer then mine when i take care of mine …..LOL…

I've seen many people who've purchased used NSXs’ and complain about the paint and problems. These same cars they have were poorly maintained, poorly cared for, yet they still seem to think there is no correlation between a car's reliability/condition and poor past ownership.

POINT TAKEN --- Things Happen to paint that you cant control that doesn’t correlate with how good you take care of car.

For me personally I would never get a car that has a full repaint, unless it was at a significant discount. Or it was done professionally like those restorations done on classic cars where every step of the repaint was fully documented. Otherwise there are too many unanswered questions.[/QUOTE

HAHAHH--- ALL I can give one is the receipt and the warranty showing what was done…….If they want it, they want it…If not it can sit in the garage…

Sorry for the NOVELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Prime Members….

My questions were answered….I was watching Barrette Jackson (Auction) and saw classic cars with custom repaints….going for 6 figures…..You hardly see someone roll up with an OEM classic……with no custom Paint….But From Reading all this …If it got 100k and was a repaint , maybe someone would have paid 150k with OEM…..

Last edited:
Back