• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

why is the nsx considered an "exotic"?

always wondered why the nsx is considered "exotic" while other more powerful cars are not?

what are the criterias to be met for a car to be considered exotic?

Everyone has their own definition. To me, exotic and supercar are two different things that frequently overlap. Supercars have super performance while exotics have slightly different charachteristics.

The NSX is an exotic because it was hand built, low production, using cutting edge materials and manufacturing processes (at least at the time of introduction). The styling is also timeless and exotic, in my opinion, and the car being mid-engined and personally dialed-in by Aryton Senna doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
always wondered why the nsx is considered "exotic" while other more powerful cars are not?

I've seen this topic over the past few years but never have replied but I'm bored so I'll chime in.

It's all opinion I think. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that some women are "exotic" and some aren't. But the ones that aren't are still drop dead beautiful.

It's all opinion.

Stephen

Ref: Merriam-Webster
1: introduced from another country : not native to the place where found
2: of, relating to, or characteristic of an earlier or more primitive time
3: strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual
4: of or relating to striptease

Definately #3! Perhaps even #1... or even #4 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Its NOT. It's a Honda Accord with the motor in the back :eek::tongue::confused::wink:

Ref: Merriam-Webster
1: introduced from another country : not native to the place where found
2: of, relating to, or characteristic of an earlier or more primitive time
3: strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual
4: of or relating to striptease

Definately #3! Perhaps even #1... or even #4 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

ROFL!!! :biggrin:

It means different things to different people and places. To me its simple, something you do not see everyday, regardless of hp. Heck on a quick errand this weekend (Southern California) I saw close to a dozen 360's and a couple 430's around PCH. NSX's seen including mine, 1. Hooray for being exotic. :wink::tongue::biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSX

In 1984 Honda commissioned Pininfarina to design the HP-X (Honda Pininfarina Xperimental),[1] which had a mid-mounted 2.0 L V6 configuration.

The production NSX was designed by a team led by Chief Designer Ken Okuyama and Executive Chief Engineer Shigeru Uehara, who was also in charge of the S2000 project. Its first public appearances as the NS-X were at the Chicago Auto Show in February 1989, and at the Tokyo Motor Show in October 1989.[2]

Japanese Formula One driver Satoru Nakajima was involved with the NSX's development, performing many duties related to chassis tuning. Brazilian Formula One driver Ayrton Senna and American Bobby Rahal also participated in the car's development.[3] Senna was given a NSX by Honda, although details of this car and its fate are unclear.[citation needed]

Honda's breakthrough engineering in the NSX was a major contributor to the design of the McLaren F1 as mentioned in an interview with McLaren designer Gordon Murray. [4] "The moment I drove the NSX, all the benchmark cars--Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini--I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind. Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target." The NSX was also the world's first all-aluminum and aluminum monocoque chassis production car, and was also marketed as the "Everyday Supercar" thanks in part to its ease of use, quality and reliability, traits that were unheard of in the supercar segment at the time.

Upon its release in 1990, the NSX was a design ahead of its time, at only 1170 mm (46.1 in) in height only 141.3 mm (6 in) taller than the legendary Ford GT40. The car showcased Honda's racing technology, exemplified by the NSX's ultra-rigid, ultra-light aluminium monocoque chassis, aluminium suspension, titanium connecting rods, forged pistons and high-revving capabilities — the redline was at a lofty 8,000 rpm.

Today it is still known by many as the most reliable exotic car with many examples exceeding 100,000 miles without any reliability issues.

Just because its not from Italy, Germany or Britain doesn't mean it can not be exotic.......:rolleyes:

The NSX is Japans only exotic production car.....

If it wasnt for Honda's stupidity then the Mclaren F1 would have been powered by a Honda Motor.

The NSX is Japans only exotic production car.....

If it wasnt for Honda's stupidity then the Mclaren F1 would have been powered by a Honda Motor.

werd, Gordon Murray wanted the McLaren F1 powered by a Honda. Honda dropped the ball. :mad::mad::frown: That could have boosted Honda's, and eventually Acura's image.

Who cares? I do not give a sh*t and am tired of the same freaking threads coming up time and again. It seems like every month there is another 'is the NSX exotic or not' thread. Just enjoy the car!! Who gives a rip what other people think of the NSX? :mad:

I hate to break it to ya'll.. but the NSX isn't an exotic :)
It's a super duper Honda Civic...
Don't forget that Lamborghini makes farm equipment, too.

If you list all the qualities that make a car an exotic, the NSX qualifies unreservedly. It's only because it's made by Honda that people dismiss it so. Take the exact same car and put an Italian brand on it, and nobody would question it as an exotic.

It's an Exotic because Chuck Norris says so.

chuck%20norris.jpg

It's an Exotic because Chuck Norris says so.

chuck%20norris.jpg
Chuck Norris doesn't do Push-Ups, He pushes the earth down.

ok.. i digress but this is really the only reason why I replied. :biggrin:

An exotic has to be sexy and sleek with the performance to back it up as well as produced in low quantities. For example, a GT-R might outperform an NSX on the stat sheet but I wouldn't call it an exotic or sleek and sexy.

Back