• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why not drive your NSX?

I have only owned my NSX for about two months now and frequent NSXprime quite often. A lot of the posts make reference to the low miles that people have on their cars (1991 all the way up). My question is why do you guys not drive your cars more often? I take mine to work everyday whether it is raining or sunny and 80 degrees. The car is just plain fun to drive no matter the weather conditions. As much as I like the NSX the car will never be considered an investment car (Zanardi may be the exception). I have put more than 4,000 miles on the car over the last two months and will not be sad, upset, or suicidal when it reaches that 100K barrier. With 76K currently on the car it is still in excellent condition. Each day I even have to drive back home to get the family SUV before I pick up the kids. Somewhat of an inconvenience but worth it just to drive this incredible machine. After owning and regularly driving a Viper, Ferrari, and a Cobra R, the NSX is by far the superior car in my opinion. That being said, I was just curious why so many people act like putting miles on their car is a sin? The guys who have driven regualrly, please disregard. Sorry for the long post but curiosity just got the best of me. Thanks for your time.

BR

I think its something to do with it being soooo RARE and at the same time somewhat affordable (Early models anyways) and the fact that they will be gone after this month that people want to "Preserve" the NSX and not take it to extinction...just MY take on it...I know when I get mine, I will drive it at least 500-1000 miles a MONTH!

Another thing is maybe people get tired of keeping the NSX Clean and Spotless and ready for its next trip as everytime you take it out, It will get some kind of dirt/bug/grime etc etc...and the process starts over.

Not to mention, MAINTENANCE COST such as tires/valve adjustments etc etc.

Again this is just MY take on this subject.

Mike

nsx_roman said:
why do you guys not drive your cars more often?
I have another car that is also fun to drive and which is my daily driver. I don't want to rack up miles on my NSX, which I use primarily for track events and club events. This way, the NSX is reserved for the purpose for which I bought it, and it still has a reasonable amount of miles. (If I had put 2,000 miles a month on the NSX since I bought it new, it would now have 350,000 miles on it, instead of the 60,000 it now has.)

Hello. Actually there are many NSX owners that are committed to reaching 500,000 miles on their NSX. I have only had my 91 for a little over a year, but I have put 15K on it. I have put 4,000 miles on it since the BBSC was installed. Do a search and you will find many posts about high milage NSX.

Check out this thread, there is a photograph of a NSX with 300,000 miles on it. I am not sure whose car it is, but it looks good.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=453292#post453292

i know the general process i follow on choosing which car to drive in the morning goes something like this...

if (weather equals raining)
drive CRX
otherwise
drive NSX

:biggrin:

initially when i purchased my car i only planned on driving it on the weekends, but then i had the epiphany that it is just a possession and that my personal 'fun' is probably worth more than anything

but i can totally understand why others try to keep their cars pristine and low mileage. i'm am just skewed towards the thought that the world could blow up tommorrow and i'd regret not doing the things i enjoy today :biggrin:

nsx_roman said:
I have only owned my NSX for about two months now and frequent NSXprime quite often. A lot of the posts make reference to the low miles that people have on their cars (1991 all the way up). My question is why do you guys not drive your cars more often?...

I ask myself this rather often. As you can see from my signature, I drive my cars pretty much all the time, so I never run the risk of having a low mileage garage queen. :)

From talking to others who own an NSX but rarely drive it the general concensus seems to be that they like to have their cars for an occasional treat, not everyday use. Kind of like that little surprise that you get at the bottom of the box of cereal. Work all week to drive the NSX on Sunday. :)

Also, some of the owners of the low mileage vehicles live in areas where it is deemed inconvenient or unsafe to drive the car to work every day. I know I have been places with my NSX where I have thought to myself, 'Man...even I would not leave my NSX parked here for very long,' and for those areas I truly understand taking a different car. Then there are also the people who want to keep the car absolutely perfect in every way, and daily driver duty would mess this up. These are usually the same owners that remove the wipers from their cars because they never see the rain. The big plus of having these people around the community is that if you ever want to see what an NSX looked like when it came off of the showroom floor, these people have the cars you want to look at. Plus, they are great people to buy a car from when they decide to sell it, because usually their cars are cosmetically perfect, and well maintained.

All in all, the variety of NSX owners and their cars is what makes this community perfect. There are those that drive without regard to their odometer or investment value (cough, cough...me), and there are those that preserve the car to use only a couple of days a month when the sun is out only. Either way....we all bought an NSX for some reason, so no matter which category you fit into, you cannot be that bad. ;)

I've often asked myself the same question. There is a guy in my town that is the original owner of a 91 NSX. The car only has 11k miles on it. That's less than 800 miles a year. What is the point of having all that cash tied up in something that is never ever used? That's cool, cause one day I'll buy it from him and add the miles back real fast. He is preserving his car for the next owner to enjoy. Seriously, he is a good guy and can drive his car as much or as little as he likes. However, you can't take it with you at the end.

I have owned my current NSX for about 15 months and have racked up 15k miles so far. The damn thing isn't my daily driver either. The beauty of these cars is that they can be driven a lot with minimal maintenance. Maybe if I was a collector with 50 cars, I would have to spread myself out driving each one on a different day. But damn, 800 miles a year?!!!!!!!!!!!!! I walk farther than that in a year!!

When my car hits 150k miles, I'll simply sell it and replace it with another one and start the cycle all over again. However, next time will be a 97 model year or newer.

khappucino said:
...initially when i purchased my car i only planned on driving it on the weekends, but then i had the epiphany that it is just a possession and that my personal 'fun' is probably worth more than anything

but i can totally understand why others try to keep their cars pristine and low mileage. i'm am just skewed towards the thought that the world could blow up tommorrow and i'd regret not doing the things i enjoy today :biggrin:

I totally agree. I have even told those that ask me why I drive it so much that, 'Hey...I could be dead tomorrow, so I am driving my NSX as much as possible today,' and that pretty much sums it up. Years ago, when I only had one NSX, I was going sky diving for the first time ever. What car did I take to the sky dive place that was over 3 hours away?? My NSX. If something went wrong I wanted the last car I drove to be my NSX. :)

nsx_roman said:
I have only owned my NSX for about two months now and frequent NSXprime quite often. A lot of the posts make reference to the low miles that people have on their cars (1991 all the way up). My question is why do you guys not drive your cars more often? I take mine to work everyday whether it is raining or sunny and 80 degrees. The car is just plain fun to drive no matter the weather conditions. As much as I like the NSX the car will never be considered an investment car (Zanardi may be the exception). I have put more than 4,000 miles on the car over the last two months and will not be sad, upset, or suicidal when it reaches that 100K barrier. With 76K currently on the car it is still in excellent condition. Each day I even have to drive back home to get the family SUV before I pick up the kids. Somewhat of an inconvenience but worth it just to drive this incredible machine. After owning and regularly driving a Viper, Ferrari, and a Cobra R, the NSX is by far the superior car in my opinion. That being said, I was just curious why so many people act like putting miles on their car is a sin? The guys who have driven regualrly, please disregard. Sorry for the long post but curiosity just got the best of me. Thanks for your time.

BR

As people have said, each person does their own thing, and enjoys the car in their own way. If the person that puts 800 miles per year on their car is happy, great for them..

I wish I could drive my NSX more often, but I live in the city and park the car about 15 miles from my condo.. I would bring the NSX into the city, but I know that the car would get messed up. By this, I don't mean the standard door dings; city cars always take on a different "beaten" look.. The NSX will not get this.. So for the time being I drive my car when I go see my godson and his parents (where my NSX is parked..), and I think I'll put 4-5k miles on the car per year..

Not only that, my commute to and from work is very often sitting in traffic. Waiting for some moron to rear end me.. No thanks.. I'll let the M3 take the punishment.. :)

-Jer

jdc1687 said:
...I wish I could drive my NSX more often, but I live in the city and park the car about 15 miles from my condo.. I would bring the NSX into the city, but I know that the car would get messed up. By this, I don't mean the standard door dings; city cars always take on a different "beaten" look...

I spent 2 years in Chicago on and off....I know what you mean when you talk about city cars and the 'beaten' look. I actually used to drive my '91 NSX there (part of the reason that one is an automatic) and I did not bother repainting the bumpers until AFTER I was not in the city anymore. No reason to repaint them so some tool can hit you again while 'parking by feel'. :)

I can understand why some might want to keep a garage queen low miles perfect spotless condition NSX but I bought mine to be a daily driver and it is.

TitaniumVtec said:
There is a guy in my town that is the original owner of a 91 NSX. The car only has 11k miles on it. That's less than 800 miles a year. What is the point of having all that cash tied up in something that is never ever used?
Maybe he gets his enjoyment from the car from the pride of ownership, or from seeing it in his garage every day. He may even get as much (or more) enjoyment from his, in his way, as you do from yours, in your way. Different strokes...

TitaniumVtec said:
When my car hits 150k miles, I'll simply sell it and replace it with another one and start the cycle all over again.
If I had followed that philosophy and driven it as much as nsx_roman drives his, I would have had to buy two more NSXs by now. Gee, I just saved myself $170K! :D

I guess I belong in the category of "carpe diem". When I pass on from this great earth I will be able to say that I enjoyed many miles of driving my cars rather than "my NSX sure looked good in the garage". This is not to offend anybody that does not drive their car as often as I do. I underestand that each person is different and has different ways of enjoying their cars. And I especially understand the qualms of driving it in the city. It is just hard for me to imagine passing the NSX in the garage every day in favor of the family truckster. Thank you for the responses as I think I understand a little better now. To each his own. See you on the road!

BR

as much as i enjoy driving my nsx, i have limited driving time with it because:

* i drive ~10k miles per year, tops

* i have several alternative modes of transportation that i enjoy as much as the nsx - motorcycles and bicycles, mainly.

* i have other application-specific vehicles i use (truck for towing boat, motorhome,etc)

* much like the home i live in and the classic honda's i own, i view myself as the caretaker for the next owner (maybe our kids - maybe someone else - who knows) so while i enjoy it, there are a limited number of them available and i'd like the next person to enjoy what i enjoy, too.

* i worry about people trashing it/door dings, etc

* it's black and a real bear to keep pristine when driven

* just two days ago, my garage door springs broke and the door won't open... and me, ready for my "sunday drive". ack!

* much like the home i live in and the classic honda's i own, i view myself as the caretaker for the next owner (maybe our kids - maybe someone else - who knows) so while i enjoy it, there are a limited number of them available and i'd like the next person to enjoy what i enjoy, too.

Hal,

Let me know when you're done with my 1991 CT/SC. :biggrin:

Mike

I don't drive the car as much as I probably should. It is mostly just a weekend car. I consider it my 'dessert' car that I sometimes drive to work on Fridays only. I work very hard for what I have and think it is a treat for myself that I drive it to work.
I have my daily driver that I still love to much to let go of so I continue to rack up the miles on it. The wife has the same kind of car for her daily driver also so the NSX normally sits in garage.
If we both want to go off we are more likely to take our TL since it has more creature comforts and is an auto.
On the weekends if we go out to dinner or something and it is nice weather, then we'll pull out the NSX and circulate the oil a little.

Tombstones sit in one place and have low mileage. Cars are meant to drive.
The main function of those that have hardly driven garage queens is twofold.
First so that when I wear mine out I have something to replace it with and second to keep them in good shape for those that as of yet can not afford to buy one. :wink:

I struggle with this all the time. I want to drive my NSX more, but there seems to always be reasons why I take another car.

1. I drive it to work once or twice a week, and only on dry days. Why not more or in rain? Well.. for the hour of driving time (too and from work) the car has to sit in the sun all day and bake. I know the NSX will hold up better than my Porsche 928, but I still feel I should limit sun exposure. Am I nuts?

As far as rain, I like to keep it spotless and it simply takes more time cleaning it after driving it in the rain. I know water won't drown a Honda.

2. Often when we go out around town, or to eat, we may pick a nice restaurant we want to visit, but know that parking is bad and we end up taking one of the other cars. So far my parking stratigy has worked for me. I kept my 928 for 9 years and 50,000 miles and it looked showroom new when I sold it. The NSX has no dings and I try to keep it like that. When I park, it is away from other cars, and never along the street. I walk alot to save a ding. And, NEVER take up two spaces. That's asking for it.

3. I also own an 01 CL, a 97 Audi wagon, a 96 CBR600F3, an 85 MR2, and a 73 Mercedes 280SE 4.5. I have other choices.

nsx_roman said:

BR

Where can I start.......

I have my office in a strip mall right next to approximately 20 or so stores including Subway, White Hen, and Walgreens. There is CONSTANT change of cars in the parking lots. (we use the same parking spaces as the store customers) I can't even COUNT the number of door dings on my daily driver Civic, but only had major body work 3 times due to hit and runs. :mad: I work probably 80 hours a week at this place........I drove my car 500 miles last year, and LOVED every second of them!!!!! :biggrin: :tongue: I would drive it more often, but don't want another car trashed! BTW, since most of my driving is done after midnight, there is little to no traffic, so I *cough* exceed posted speed limits once in a while. :biggrin:

Dave

My '91 has 12000 miles on it (6000 I put on in the last 2 years since i've had it) but I have a company car that i drive each day for work which i never have to worry about. So, I take the NSX out on the weekends and evening on the weekdays. Plus, I live in cleveland...nothing less than a tank will do for travel during certain times of the year.

Why dont I drive my NSX?

Im scared of the power :rolleyes:

Back