• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wife and I want to buy Washer/Dryer, Any Input??

The wife and I want to upgrade the washer and dryer. We have always used the top load regular washer types but are looking to take the dive into the front loads. We have been looking at the Samsung WF448AAP (MSRP $1499) and DV448AEP (MSRP $1399) and like the look and features. Before we take the dive into purchasing, and thinking that black friday is coming up, I thought I would post and see your experiences with these or other brands. Also any recs on getting the extended warranty and such or best places to purchase from. Appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

_Samsung-WF448AAP-washer,dryer.jpg

I have Frigidaires that look just like that, no issues whatsoever. The only thing I can say is make sure you get the pedestials. Having never had front loads we didn't get them when they were delivered...two weeks later I went back to get them as my wife said it's a major PITA bending over pulling clothes in/out without the pedestials; much better now that we have them. Those Samsungs do look nice, best of luck!

Danny

The wife and I want to upgrade the washer and dryer. We have always used the top load regular washer types but are looking to take the dive into the front loads. We have been looking at the Samsung WF448AAP (MSRP $1499) and DV448AEP (MSRP $1399) and like the look and features. Before we take the dive into purchasing, and thinking that black friday is coming up, I thought I would post and see your experiences with these or other brands. Also any recs on getting the extended warranty and such or best places to purchase from. Appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

_Samsung-WF448AAP-washer,dryer.jpg

Bought the regular Whirlpool washer/dryers at Costco a few years back and they work great. Paid 650ish total for both! Don't forget you need special soap for the high dollar ones :cool:

Costco has the Whirlpool Cabrio pair for $1499.99 Delivered. Installation & Haul Away are included in the purchase price of the WASHER/DRYER (elec only)
And don't forget the Costco return policy!!!

We have an LG Tromm pair that look like those Samsungs. No issues at all after 2 years. Wife loves them. When we put the lights out in the basement and they are running, it looks like a control room on a nuke submarine. Cute musical jingles at the end of the cycle too! :smile:

I bought a Frigidaire from Best Buy $500 washer only 5 years ago. Works great, use less water/soap. It is very quite (can't even hear it). Clothes comes out dryer, with less drying time in the dryer. Recommend front loader to anyone.

Our 9 year old washer crapped out last month, so the wife and I went washer and dryer shopping. Early on, because of our family size, we realized we needed a washer with a good size capacity, at least 4.5 cu. ft. We felt that a front load washer and dryer pair, at easily $2K-$3K and upwards, was priced out of our budget, since it's pretty much essential that you buy the pedestals ($400!) to avoid busting your back.

We then started leaning toward the Cabrio pair from Costco noted by ANYTIME above, based on some research that I did (via some Cosumer Research reading, and some buyer review posts), and Costco had a very good price. However, delivery was not available for another 15-20 days. No good, since clothes were piling up.

We ended up going with a comparable washer and dryer setup from Lowes, which had a slightly lower price, had next day delivery and setup and haulaway, and had reasonable prices on all the necessary replacement parts (hoses, gas lines, etc.). Even better, on top of the lower price, they gave us an additional 10% off military discount (Veteran's Day). Plus, we recently had a dishwasher replaced by them, and were happy with the service and efficiency of the entire organization, from the salesperson to the delivery people. Final price ended being just around $1500 with parts, tax, delivery, installation, and haulaway. Wife has been happy blasting through laundry ever since. :)

(One thing to note about reviews saying the washer getting out of balance. It will do that when washing a very large item, like a comforter. Because it doesn't have the center column, a large single item will tend to ball up, causing the drum to be unbalanced when going through the spin cycle. On regular loads (clothes, towels, etc.), it works fine.)

As for extended warranties, I tend to stay away from them.

Last edited:
Some great threads out there. I bought a high end GE Profile set 3 years ago and they have been NOTHING but trouble.

Buy a cheap, non electronic, non HE set and they will probably last you 10+ years.

three years running on our duets no issues.

Best buy 50% off on Black Friday.

I will be replacing my w/d soon and I have been thinking of getting two of the w/d all in one unit. two loads at one time no exchanging of clothes from w to d.

As the OP for the 2nd thread listed I too had questions.
I ended up buying a Whirlpool Duet Steam front loader washer from Lowe's when they had a unit come back from a home delivery. It didn't match the decor in the home and the lady refused to have it left there. It had already been installed so it was considered 'used' when I got it. I paid $750 for it.
I then waited a few months before pursuing a dryer to go with it. The washer was so fast and could wash so many clothes that my dryer could no longer keep up with it. So I began a search for a front loader replacement. Unbelieveably, we found the exact match for the washer at a Sears outlet center and paid even less ($700) for it than the washer. I got very lucky. It had gotten a scratch on the metal face of the front door upon delivery and the customer that paid full price for it didn't accept it.....so I did.:smile:
I couldn't be happier with both products.
Only drawback I have found is sometimes it is a bit difficult to locate the HE detergent, fabric softener and bleach.

There seem to be a lot of deals for front loading washer/dryers. For example, Sears has this offer: Samsung washer and dryer (WF328AAW / DV328AEW) for $1199.98 - you can get an extra 8% cashback through Bing.

Maytag Neptune W&D. Bought them at a scratch and dent outlet. Came with full warranty and have had them about 4 to 5 years, moved twice and no problems yet! Wife uses them daily due to hers and 17 year olds stuff...My stuff never gets dirty...LOL

The only thing I can say is make sure you get the pedestials. Having never had front loads we didn't get them when they were delivered...two weeks later I went back to get them as my wife said it's a major PITA bending over pulling clothes in/out without the pedestials; much better now that we have them.
Danny

Danny is right, our cleaning lady had to bend over too much until we purchased the pedestals!

DSCF0019.jpg

Danny is right, our cleaning lady had to bend over too much until we purchased the pedestals!

DSCF0019.jpg
any chance your cleaning lady can come to our house to test our washer / dryer? we've got top load, but i'm willing to change :biggrin:

So it sounds like the steam treatment, washer AND dryer seems to work and actually help.

From Good Housekeeping, More

Best Overall Set:
While the other models tested had a drop in cleaning performance with increasing load size, the LG SteamWasher had approximately equal soil-removal results for the different load sizes. Extremely gentle on fabrics, this model is also equipped with a special Allergiene cycle, certified by the Asthma & Allergy Foundation of America, which automatically introduces steam and adjusts wash temperature and cycle time to reduce and rinse away common allergens. The solid-performing LG SteamDryer used the least amount of energy in our tests while still getting clothes dry and smooth. Even if you forget to remove your dry load, the wrinkle care option will tumble the load up to three hours — most others only go for two hours. This dryer also has its own manual steam feeder (a drawer you fill with water), unlike others that need connection to the washer in order to operate their steam functions. To improve dryer operation and home safety, the dryer has a unique FlowSense Duct Clogging Indicator that detects a reduction in airflow and alerts consumers to possible blockages in the dryer's ductwork. The customer service expertise matches this pair's performance. Within two minutes, we spoke with a customer service agent, who gave us resourceful solutions.

LG SteamWasher with Allergiene; Model # WM3001 ($1,699 - $1,799)
LG SteamDryer with TrueSteam; Model # DLG3002 / DLEX3001 ($1,499 - $1,599)(In wild cherry, silver, or white; lgusa.com)

LG-SteamWasher_Steam-Dryer-fb-129335.jpg

Consumer Reports:
I don't have an online account, anyone chime in on this one??

Found these Black Friday Ads:

Best Buy
i_1258130852_BFAdsBestBuy2009Page31.jpg

Home Depot
i_1258148452_BFAdsHomeDepot2009Page.jpg

Lowe's
i_1258054395_BFAdsLowesMissingPages.jpg

Sears
i_1256706943_BFAdsSears2009Page41-1.jpg

Sears
i_1257832663_BFAdsSears2009Page06-1.jpg

Last edited:
The only issue with front loader washers is that it is difficult to keep them dry on the inside when not in use. This often causes mold to develop in the door seal. You have to wipe them down after use and keep the door open for a while after use. If you don’t, mold may develop along with a foul smell.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2008/08/mold-on-washers.html

I am also not totally convinced that they clean as well as the top loaders. They don’t seem to agitate the clothes as much. They are supposed to cause less wear and tear on the clothes though. We have both in our house and I always use the top loaders. I can’t remember the makes and models though.

Nate in DC

We have Kenmore Elite and they have been great and you can get them for a really good price most of the time. My wife does a RIDICULOUS amount of laundry and we have never had a problem with them.

We typically get a big Tide HE at costco and it lasts a long long time.. even more now with our water softner system

I have been inside Best Buy since they opened at 0500 waiting in the "appliance" line, system crashed and everyone is just standing around..... Arhhhhhh :(

+1 on avoiding Maytag.

+3. Many years ago I had a high end Maytag washer(something like close to $1000.00, came with the house, nonetheless..) that had a design failure and then crapped out. Get this, there was a class action lawsuit, which ended a couple of weeks before it broke down.

I contact Maytag and they gave me the F U.

I got a GE frontload 2nd hand and it's been great. I've had very good luck with the older front load GE's and the kick-ass rock-solid old Kenmore's.
My two Kenmore's are going on 10 years, in a rental with lots of people. I expect those to go another 10 years. With that said, I don't like Sears.. a lot of their recent stuff is crap.... but those old washer and dryers, damn.

Last edited:
Back