• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will Bilsteins and new springs correct this?

My next project on my nsx is to replace my oem shocks with a set of bilsteins and im still debating about keeping the oem springs or replacing those as well. If i go with the higher perch to keep the height as close to stock as possible, will i still get leans like this during hard cornering?

03205.jpg

Let me give you an example with pictures of my car with Bilsteins and stock springs vs a stock 02+ NSX in the same turn...

It looks like you're on the bump stops in that picture. If I remember correctly, you have well over 100,000 miles on your NSX. Your shocks are probably quite worn. Replacing them with Bilsteins will definitely fix the issue - you won't have lean like that. You can use the stock springs if you want ride close to that of stock.

If you want to maintain the stock ride height, then just replace the shocks, not the springs.

If you want to lower it by 7/8" or more, then you have the option of doing so either by mounting the shocks on the lowering perch, or replacing the springs.

My general preference is to change one thing at a time (in your case, only the shocks). That accomplishes two things; it allows you to see the effect of each individual change, and it also avoids doing anything unnecessary (e.g. if you like the way it is after installing only the shocks). The only downside is that you don't get any efficiencies you might otherwise achieve in labor by doing both installs together.

Debated the same thing and decided to keep the stock springs but use the lower perch. The ride has firmed up nicely without getting harsh. Also IMHO, the lower perch matches perfectly with larger, aftermarket wheels. If you plan to use OE wheels, may be keep the height stock? Just my 2 cents.

Ahh your shocks are completely worn! Yes it will fix that :) You will wish you did it a long time ago afterward though.

If you want to reduce it go with lowering the car and the Type-R swaybar in the front. just my two cent.

Don Corenman said:
What would bilsteins do on the lower perch vs. the upper or normal perch? Is there any noticable handling difference?

The lower perch on the Bilstein will lower the car by aprox. 1.25 inch (factor 1.5) and a lower car will always have less body-roll. But eliminating it completly may by very stiff swaybars harm the cornering abilities of a car.

New shocks will help, but to reduce the body roll even more, a nice set of f/r sway bars will help a lot. I noticed an incredible difference when I installed a set of Comptech sways set in the middle.

DocL said:
New shocks will help, but to reduce the body roll even more, a nice set of f/r sway bars will help a lot. I noticed an incredible difference when I installed a set of Comptech sways set in the middle.

Your car handled pretty well on The Dragon, I didn't notice any excessive roll.

nsxtasy said:
I thought it was by 7/8"... :confused:

On the shock yes it's 2 cm or 7/8'' lower but the car height will reduce more than this because the shocks are not exactly vertical, maybe 45 degrees which results in factor 1.41 multiplied with 2 cm. With 30 degrees it's factor 1.11 though.

Back