• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will I get teased if I buy an Automatic NSX?

I found a really nice 1994 nsx-t automatic with only 15,000 miles and in excellent condition. It runs beautifully and I'm friends with the guy so he will sell it to me for a good deal. Clear title.

But it's an automatic.....

Will I get teased and made fun of for driving an automatic nsx?

Serious replies please.

Thank you.

you won't get teased anymore than driving an automatic civic.

just get it.

if image is that important to you, go get yourself a red ferrari instead.

Yes, but not to your face:biggrin:

Just kidding....but, you'll probably regret it.

But if the price is too good to pass up, hop on it.... You can always sale it for a profit if you don't like it.....or your friends tease you:tongue:

Last edited:
If the price is to fair to pass up I would recommend getting it. I bought mine because the price was to low to let it pass by and since day one planned on converting it to manual which I am doing.

I wouldnt worry what others think about you and I am sure once you are driving on a back road somewhere those concerns will fade away quickly.

I wouldn't worry about getting teased. HaaHaa...You're a pu$$y because you bought an automatic NSX. :biggrin:

However, if you enjoy driving a manual sports car, do not get an automatic NSX. It just isn't as fun to drive and you'll regret it tremendously in a few months. I've made compromises on the color of cars I've bought only to regret it shortly afterwards. You'll never get used to driving an automatic NSX if it's not what you want. Yeah the price may be right, however the full pleasure just won't be there. If you can do a manual swap, and the cost isn't prohibitive, then do it. I did that with a Mustang a long time ago and the cost in the end wasn't worth it.

Sorry if I am being too blunt, but you have to hear the truth, not just steam being blown up your ass by internet strangers.

The important question is do you like driving manual cars? There is no right answer, but if the answer is yes, buy a manual. I personally would not have bought an auto NSX even if it was $20k less than what I paid. If it is more of a take it or leave it thing to you, why not pocket the money and start enjoying the car?

The fact that my wife hates manuals and would never touch one keeps her from driving my car. However if it were automatic she may decide she'd like to take a spin in it regularly. Think about it.

If you want to buy the AT NSX then do it. When people tell me that they're looking to buy a car, and want my advice, I usually tell them to figure out what you want and then don't settle. In the end, if you settle you'll be unhappy no matter the deal you got on the car.

Now if you plan to purchase and resell at the higher market price...then you could make money and drive an NSX while doing it.

it's up to you though

In my opinion it depends what you want the NSX for. If it's for nostalgia and for car shows, even possibly long drives then I get it. BUT If you love to drive and truly want to experience what an NSX is all about and the reason it is revered at car shows you need to buy a manual. Otherwise, there are many other better cars to buy at the same price.

Initially I was looking for 6spd, but I bought my automatic because of price, condition, mileage, and rarity. It has the paddle shifter so I can control the gears to an extent which is fun, just without a clutch.

If/when I ever decide to sell it could help in my favor if someone is looking for an 02+ auto, the demand and supply are low so I can pretty much set the price point.

Get what you want and not what others think.

- - - Updated - - -

That is certainly debatable but if/when you do sell I wish you the best of luck.

It is. I realize there is a small market for auto NSX's however if someone really wants an 02+, prestine condition, low miles, then I feel the seller has more control over the buyer in terms of price. Not many to choose from out there when factoring those items in.

Though there is no such thing as a bad NSX, there are a few reasons why I would think long and hard about an automatic NSX:

- The engine is detuned to 252hp, regardless of year.

- Honda has always been known for making good manual transmissions, and the NSX is no exception. Easily one of the best transmissions I've ever driven.

- One of the major reason I chose a NA2 over a NA1 is for the 6-speed transmission. I've driven several NA1s with the 5-speed and I always felt the gearing was far too long (2nd gear tops out in the mid-high 80MPHs). Though I've never driven an automatic NSX, I'd imagine the fact that it's a 4-speed transmission would exacerbate the issue even further.

I bought my NSX to enjoy spirited weekend drives around the backroads where I live, so I wouldn't have bought an automatic NSX even at a substantial discount. For me, if I wanted a car with an automatic transmission to enjoy on the weekends, there are other cars I would rather drive.

If you get it and decide you want stick and have enough headroom on price, you can convert it later after you stockpile the parts when you find them on the cheap.

My buddy was going to purchase an automatic. He passed on it and got a manual for $10K more. Maybe the automatic is a better purchase if the price is significantly different.

Unless you really want or need an automatic , don't buy it. You will regret later cuz you wish you had waited longer and get a manual.

Hi Bluejet,

If you drive in cities a lot, the auto will be a more relaxed experience, but if your drives are mostly for pleasure, then you will probably be better off with a manual. That said, only you can decide. A '94 NSX in perfect condition that you can afford sounds great, especially with such a low mileage.

Just seen that it is an NSX-T - weren't these introduced in March 1995?
Something to check out.

If someone does tease you, you should extend your left arm, fist up, doing a cranking motion with your right hand (next to the closed fist). As you crank, raise the middle-finger salute.

Salute!

I found a really nice 1994 nsx-t automatic with only 15,000 miles and in excellent condition. It runs beautifully and I'm friends with the guy so he will sell it to me for a good deal. Clear title.

But it's an automatic.....

Will I get teased and made fun of for driving an automatic nsx?

Serious replies please.

Thank you.

My first NSX was a 1995 Auto, I had the car for five years. I now own a 1997 manual. I have a lot to
say about the question you are asking, but I don't have the time tonight. I will respond in full over the weekend, or feel free to call me at 626-676-3000, Mario!

Yes some people will hate on it for being automatic and having less HP than the manual version. If that's a concern then don't buy it.

just place a hat over the auto shift knob......

It's ur money, do what u like. If ur friends aren't helping u pay for the automatic they shouldn't criticize u. What do u care what they feel about u anyways?

I've driven a friends automatic 97 quite a few times and it was very enjoyable.
Anybody who makes fun of you for it is a douchebag and should be ignored anyway.

I think there will always be a market for AT NSX's. If you can get it for a good deal then you should buy it. It should be almost perfect with such low miles. If it's a really good deal you could always do a conversion but keep all the AT parts to reconvert if you ever sell. Good luck.

Back