• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window regulator upgrade kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has pricing for the kits with updated guides been released? Shoot me a PM at your convenience.

Tom

Hi guys, I posted it on DIY section, but here it goes also:
Today it was holiday here in Portugal, so I had time to shoot the movie about the Teflon guides benefits

I bought a "pocket balance" to measure the friction of the guides over a totally cleaned and 0% greased track.

dsc09652v.jpg

Friction with OEM rubber guides goes upto 5Kg in the movie ( about 2kg at the moment I took the picture)

dsc09653v.jpg

With Teflon guides, I found ZERO 0,0 KG friction, lever simply "glides" by its own weight and gravity, this is absolutely impossible with OEM guides, and remember there is NO GREASE on the track/guides!

As Teflon is plastic, and lever ends gliding over the track:
I choose a classic hit french song from Plastic Bertrand, called "ca plane pour moi", means "it glides for me"...have fun! :biggrin::biggrin:
"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uYrtj48JZ_I?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Oh no, not that water bottle again!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: (I only used it to check the calibration of the balance...)

Many of you are getting really impatient to buy the Teflon guides.
After several enquiries, opinions and feedbacks, I decided to fix the price for the TEFLON guides to 100$ for a set of 8 guides = to fix both regulators, with shipment and paypal fees included

Some of you may wonder how such small parts can cost as much as the stainless steel pulley and sleeve! The main reason is because the mould cost about 4000 USD to have it built, it has 7 water canals to cool it when injecting the powder teflon!
It took me a lot of time and reasearch and had to correct the mould to have a perfect "CLICK" when the guide fits in, part has a called "double cavity" that became a problem to build it right, I choose to make it tight so it won't fall off like the OEM rubber ones.

I will still be offering the kit (pulley+sleeve) without the TEFLON guides for the same price of 100$, or a complete kit for 200$ with guides, so you can decide whatever suits you better
Guides alone however will only be available to the buyers of the "first version" of the kit, wishing to upgrade it (I kept all the names :biggrin:)

I have 400 guides ready to go, that is enough to fix 50x NSX!

Thanks for the interest
Hugo

Last edited:
Hugo, you are an absolutely incredible man and a true asset to our community, the fact that you chose to solve a universal problem in these cars and your dedication to it is amazing.

I can't wait to receive my shipment of these guides so I can install them for happy people!

On behalf or everyone, Thank you Hugo!
Wil

pm sent.

thanks hugo!

Is it $200 per side, or total. I'm in for both my windows, left and right.

If I'm understanding correctly, $200 includes complete kits including pulleys, sleeves and teflon guides for both sides.

Tom

hi0npsi / Juice: that is correct Tom, shipment and paypal fees are also included.

Thank you angus, and thank you all the primemembers for your support and compliments, that's really what motivates me!

Looking forward to my guides. I have been waiting to install the pulley until the guides were ready. :smile:

Hugo, Looks like we might have 3 cars already for your Hawaii Window Upgrade Tour (Vacation). See the "Southwest Region Forum" then the "Hawaii" thread.

Aloha!
Steve

Last edited:
nsxinohio: you have PM, full kits are available for immediate shipping

Stevenlee: I am ready for the Hawaian Tour, thank you for setting it up:biggrin:

Brooklynzson: teflon guides are a direct plug & play replacement for the OEM rubber guides of the regulator, to reduce friction thus improving window speed.

What parts do you grease just the tracks? If you grease the guides they will streak the window, won't they?

DRIFTER: guides will always get grease from the track even if you do not grease them during the install. Remember, they are located lower than the glass (they go up and down with the window) so they will never streak the window.
Grease the 2 window tracks, and when installing the kit: grease the regulator track, and inside the motor on the sleeve.

I am now working on an easier solution to install the guides without opening the motor again and do all the delicate process of re-tighting the cables, for those of you who already installed the original kit but want to upgrade it now with the new Teflon parts.

Last edited:
Here goes the solution I found to replace the guides without opening the motor: all you need is a pair of vice-grips:

Remove regulator from door and place it in its half-way position:
dsc09686c.jpg

Use the first vice-grip to grab the upper grey cable..go ahead, you won't damage the cable just by crushing it, do not worry.
dsc09687r.jpg

dsc09688th.jpg

Now join the 2 cables with your fingers, this will compress the cable springs at their maximum
dsc09689z.jpg

dsc09690.jpg

, and at the same time use the 2nd vice-grip to grab the black cable, as close as you can from the upper white cable guide border:
dsc09691r.jpg

Remove your fingers from the cables, they will now remain loose:wink:
dsc09693z.jpg

You should be able to remove the cable from the thingy part...if not, you can always unscrew the pulley or just loose it from its position.

Finally, when cables endings are removed from the lever, pull the upper white cable guide from the regulator track, with the 2 vice grips still attached:
dsc09698l.jpg

, and you can now replace your old rubber guides by the new Teflon ones without opening the motor and thinghten the cables again.
Hope you'll find it useful, have fun!

Finally got around to upgrading my regulators. Thank you Hugo, everything works great!

It was interesting to note that my drivers side regulator had a twisted guide (the pot metal piece that follows the regulator track). It wouldn't fit back over the track with the new hard teflon inserts. I have no idea how this thing could have gotten bent and distorted? I was pretty worried it would fracture when I was trying to reshape it but it didn't. Oh well.

Another thing I did while these regulators were apart was to open up the electric motors and clean them. I put the armatures in my drill press and held some emery cloth to the commutators. Then, I de-burred the comm. edges and also cleaned up the brush faces. Took a little patience to put it back together!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back