• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Windshield - dealer or aftermarket?

Since little stones leave a permanent reminder of past drives on the glass.

If wanted a shiny new windshield for a 2000, what are the options?

yea I know... could probably have one of those fix-it companies put some magic goop on it and that would be okay but it wouldn't be NEW GLASS.

Dealer or aftermarket?

I went with aftermarket a month or so ago. With the savings I could do it again tomorrow and not equal the cost of OEM. No brainer. Go aftermarket.

any windsheild you buy from the dealership will not have the Honda logo.

I was told by a Windsheild guy.

he showed me at the bottom of the glass in the middle, or pass side, or driverside there will be a logo of the company that makes it.
and its not honda.

now if its an original windshield from the factory when the car was built it will have the honda logo in the glass.

this is what I was told.

Not if you order OEM, it will have the OEM logo...the dealership can order an aftermarket one from a local glass shop but there is a difference between OEM and aftermarket in glass thickness and UV protection. To the OP, most insurance companies will replace your windshield for FREE if it's cracked....you just need to insist they use OEM to replace it. I'm not implying you should crack your windshield to get a new one :tongue:

any windsheild you buy from the dealership will not have the Honda logo.

I was told by a Windsheild guy.

he showed me at the bottom of the glass in the middle, or pass side, or driverside there will be a logo of the company that makes it.
and its not honda.

now if its an original windshield from the factory when the car was built it will have the honda logo in the glass.

this is what I was told.

What are the qualities of a windshield that you might consider? Is one a better fit than the other, which is to say can it be properly sealed such that it doesn't leak, no matter which one you chose? Well, I've had both factory and after-market replacement windshields on several cars and trucks over the years and not one replacement has leaked yet.

Are factory windshields of a different flatness so that the view is not distorted compared to after market? No difference that I am aware of.

Is one thicker or thinner than another? Who knows, but any difference would be insignificant and even if it were to exist which is better, a thinner and presumably lighter bit of glass (a-la Type R rear glass) or a thicker glass that may or may not provide additional torsional rigidity to the vehicle. How about resistance to scratching and chipping, is there a difference there? I don't know but I seriously doubt it; even though I know that there are many many formulations of glass I also know there are at least some standards (DOT and others) that must be met and if a deminimus standard exists you can bet that virtually all manufacturers will adhere to it for reasons of cost competitiveness if nothing else. So in short I don't think it makes a hoot in hell who makes the glass. As for the logo, in a world where people put Honda Badges on Acura cars as if they belonged there how much difference (aside from scoring at Pebble Beach) does it really make?

Safe-Lite does a great job of replacing windscreens and come to your home to do so.
Be certain to demand PPG glass or they might substitute it for something of lesser quality.
Do NOT let anyone use Pilkington for any reason. As mentioned before it is not as thick, has an inferior coating and will get a "sand blasted" look after a short amount of time and has less quality UV protection.

Cheers
nigel

Is the cost of replacing the rubber seal included between the top of the windshield and roof included?

As far as dealerships go. We sent a new Crown Vic to the local Ford dealership where it was bought {under warranty} and it wound up at a local glass shop.:rolleyes:

Safe-Lite does a great job of replacing windscreens and come to your home to do so.
Be certain to demand PPG glass or they might substitute it for something of lesser quality.
Do NOT let anyone use Pilkington for any reason. As mentioned before it is not as thick, has an inferior coating and will get a "sand blasted" look after a short amount of time and has less quality UV protection.

Cheers
nigel

Not sure if the above comment is actually based on fact or rumor. I have used Pilkington on two vehicles, both are large in screen size (one is a minivan) and have had absolutely no issues with them for the last 5 years. In fact, Safe-Lite quoted a few weeks ago (regarding another vehicle) that Pilkington (a British company) was equal if slightly not better in quality and being more expensive than PPG.

On a side note, the same company in two different states has dramatically different pricing for the same service/model car! They attributed it to zip code! But all negotiate down.

Not if you order OEM, it will have the OEM logo...the dealership can order an aftermarket one from a local glass shop but there is a difference between OEM and aftermarket in glass thickness and UV protection. To the OP, most insurance companies will replace your windshield for FREE if it's cracked....you just need to insist they use OEM to replace it. I'm not implying you should crack your windshield to get a new one :tongue:

Let me know which insuramce companies "replace" - as opposed to fixing a crack smaller than a quarter - without seeking your deductible.

Did you know Toyota uses Pilkington glass? My brand new 2012 Camry loaner had Pilkington glass with Honda on it as well.

"In the state of Florida, windshield cracks and chips are repaired free of charge. According to Florida statute 627.7288, if you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle your insurance company will pick up the tab for any repair or replacement that you may need. The law states that your deductible will be waived. In most cases, your insurance company will send someone to your home or office to replace or repair your windshield."

California. So in Florida all car insurance carriers have first dollar coverage :eek::confused:

Last edited:
In June 2009 I had my windshield replaced by a local glass company. The owner was a car buff and said the OEM windshield was a special, thinner, lighter-weight, high-strength glass. (I didn't bother to research if those claims were factual). Because of the substantial OEM vs aftermarket price, he did an estimated filing with my insurance company for the OEM glass, which they approved. The only one they could locate in the US at that time had to be shipped from CA. It says "Honda Lamisafe" on it.

The glass was $797.22; an installation kit (adhesive and new upper molding strip, etc), labor & tax brought the total to $1015.15. I only had to pay the $100 deductible.

Fellow owner "thedon67" cursed me at the time because his windshield cracked at about then, and his local glass guy told him "someone just got the last OEM one in the US" :biggrin:. I would think that was just a temporary out-of-stock condition, but I don't know.

FYI-

A quick call to Acura parts guy - said there are several OEMs in the warehouse on the west coast. Date today is: 10/2/12

part # 73111-SL0-A02
$1387.94 @ acuraoemparts.com

97-05 OEM windshields are tinted and call for double the price. 91-96 OEM windshields are around $650 (http://www.dchautomotiveparts.com/o...front-windshield/glass-fr-wshld/73111-sl0-506). For $650, why go aftermarket?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123666

I'd have to agree that it makes sense to get the earlier year windshield since you can put the clear(and legal) Llumar film on the inside for UV protection and a clear stone-proof film on the outside to protect from rock chips and still have a whole lot of beer money leftover.

Oem from Honda will have the logo
Oem from Honda will match your factory tinted side windows. Everything else will be slightly different in color.

I'd have to agree that it makes sense to get the earlier year windshield since you can put the clear(and legal) Llumar film on the inside for UV protection and a clear stone-proof film on the outside to protect from rock chips and still have a whole lot of beer money leftover.
I have never heard of a clear film that can be applied to a windshield to protect from rock chips. Yes I'm familiar with such films for the front end body panels of cars, but I've never heard of them being available for a windshield.

Will the windshield replacement company have those yellow clips that sit under the windshield molding? Or should I have a set ready for them?

Back