• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you trade your NSX for the new M3?

Negative Ghostrider, The Pattern Is Full. I wouldn't regret trading in my NSX for anything other than...well, an NSX. Ferrari and Aston Martin sounds nice; however, I've never driven one. Still, in all fairness, I've never driven the M3 either, though I highly doubt it is as pleasurable to drive as the NSX.

I was just reading my R&T. BMW sold 40,000+ E46 M3's. 40,000+. There was what? 200 NSX's sold in 2005?

maintenance is pricey but I wouldn't say it has anymore reliability issues than any other car similar to it. My cousin has a 2002 silver one and its at 60kmiles doing fine.

I've heard that the M3 has some reliability issues. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The rod bearing issue has been addressed. Beyond that, they suffer from some electrical gremlins and the front control arms wear out around 60k. On the whole, they are reasonably reliable, but not as good as an NSX.

I've heard that the M3 has some reliability issues. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Electric problems
vanos failure
some engine failures

My friends 01 M3 was in the dealer for 3 months refused to start. My neighbors 01 vanos first failed at 20k followed by engine at 30k.

Ok with all this talk about the new M3, can someone please post pics of it? I have yet to see what it looks like :( and no, I would not trade my X for it :eek:

I personally like BMWs however, I would not likely own one. I'm sorry Beemer fans, but I think BMW asks too much for their cars. I remember looking in the local paper with my sister (who was leasing a BMW 3 series at that time) for her next car. BMW (now these are dealerships in Miami) was asking for $500 to $700 dollars for a 2 to 3 year lease on basic 3 series cars!!:eek:

I don't believe you really get much car for the money with a BMW. Now, if money wasn't an obstacle for me, I probably still wouldn't own an M3. I should think of selling my S2K and looking to get something practical (maybe all-wheel drive to boot, you hear me HONDA, build a SH-AWD turbo sports car with the Acura Brand if need be:biggrin: ) but an M3 just doesn't turn me on.:redface:

Yeah some of the earliers ones had problems ( rod bearing , vanos failure ) and apparently their is problem with the body breaking away at the suspension welds. This is supposed to be common for all E36/E46 models and can happen whether you track it or not.

I got called all kinds of names on the M3 site because I told people they should hold off modding the 335i until it they find out what the problem spots are and don't have a warranty to cover it.

I personally like BMWs however, I would not likely own one. I'm sorry Beemer fans, but I think BMW asks too much for their cars. I remember looking in the local paper with my sister (who was leasing a BMW 3 series at that time) for her next car. BMW (now these are dealerships in Miami) was asking for $500 to $700 dollars for a 2 to 3 year lease on basic 3 series cars!!:eek:

I don't believe you really get much car for the money with a BMW. Now, if money wasn't an obstacle for me, I probably still wouldn't own an M3. I should think of selling my S2K and looking to get something practical (maybe all-wheel drive to boot, you hear me HONDA, build a SH-AWD turbo sports car with the Acura Brand if need be:biggrin: ) but an M3 just doesn't turn me on.:redface:

LOL you've never driven an M3 have you. I laugh because people said the same thing about the NSX. The M3 can be (actually needs to be ) driven hard. In fact the only time I don't like the M3 vs the NSX is because Honda made the NSX to love being driven like an F1 or a civic. The M3 hates being driven like a 3series or a luxury car in general. Driven slow to moderate it's clunky and feels heavy. Driven hard and at higher speeds it becomes smooth and lusty and you can't help grinning:biggrin:

I was just reading my R&T. BMW sold 40,000+ E46 M3's. 40,000+. There was what? 200 NSX's sold in 2005?

Not fair Dave as if Honda/Acura could've sold 40k+ NSXs they would have. Supply demand

LOL you've never driven an M3 have you. I laugh because people said the same thing about the NSX. The M3 can be (actually needs to be ) driven hard. In fact the only time I don't like the M3 vs the NSX is because Honda made the NSX to love being driven like an F1 or a civic. The M3 hates being driven like a 3series or a luxury car in general. Driven slow to moderate it's clunky and feels heavy. Driven hard and at higher speeds it becomes smooth and lusty and you can't help grinning:biggrin:

Really?! Hmm, I've never had the pleasure. I was considering that there are certainly alot of M3s used in GT races; and they certainly hold their own. Maybe I would be lucky enough to have an M3 owner let me throw it around a track for myself, lol, but I doubt anyone would:wink:

Really?! Hmm, I've never had the pleasure. I was considering that there are certainly alot of M3s used in GT races; and they certainly hold their own. Maybe I would be lucky enough to have an M3 owner let me throw it around a track for myself, lol, but I doubt anyone would:wink:

The M3 is actually reasonably similar to the NSX. It has excellent steering feel and a world-class six cylinder engine. The S54 has better low end torque and revs freely to 7900 RPM, although it does not give you the feeling of the NSX that it wants to keep going to 9500.

I think the M3 is about as close to the NSX as you can get in a proper coupe with a back seat and trunk. They are very competitive on a road course, although with different strengths.

The M3 is actually reasonably similar to the NSX. It has excellent steering feel and a world-class six cylinder engine. The S54 has better low end torque and revs freely to 7900 RPM, although it does not give you the feeling of the NSX that it wants to keep going to 9500.

I think the M3 is about as close to the NSX as you can get in a proper coupe with a back seat and trunk. They are very competitive on a road course, although with different strengths.

Oh okay I thought it was just me being critical about the S54 engine. It's rev happy ,but not redline happy. It's ready to shift at redline whereas the NSXS2000 engines don't seem mind holding redline. Oh and you guys should hear the M3 with a GruppeM exhaust. Dang!

What about the "addiction" factor. If I got into my NSX and told myself I'm just going to go from point A to point B (short trip), I enjoy the drive so much, I make a point C, D, E, and so on. I have to make a mental effort to NOT drive the NSX or make excuses to drive her. Does the M3 give a similar feeling?

Last edited:
What about the "addiction" factor. If I got into my NSX and told myself I'm just going to go from point A to point B (short trip), I enjoy the drive so much, I make a point C, D, E, and so on. I have to make a mental effort to NOT drive the NSX or make excuses to driver her. Does the M3 give a similar feeling?

Not as much. I take the NSX when I want to go for a drive in and of itself, not the M3.

Sorry, but I will go against the grain here.

If I could choose between the two, I would take the new M3 in a heart beat.

Flame away.

I'd still take the nsx over an m3. m3's are overpopulated. I see one at least every week. As far as the nsx goes, i barely see one a year lol unless i'm
@ meet of course. Nsx>m3 enough said.

Oh okay I thought it was just me being critical about the S54 engine. It's rev happy ,but not redline happy. It's ready to shift at redline whereas the NSXS2000 engines don't seem mind holding redline. Oh and you guys should hear the M3 with a GruppeM exhaust. Dang!

Well I haven't had the pleasure of pushing an NSX at redline, so I can't comment but I love the way the M3 screams towards the redline. The throaty engine twine is musical. The revs are absolutely fluid, it pulls in all gears. The linear torque curve is phenomenal.

I can't wait to enjoy an NSX...sounds like its even more fun according to the guys who own both. BTW, I'm not bashing on SMG, but unless you have a 6MT you're not really getting he true Motorsports out of an M.

Not fair Dave as if Honda/Acura could've sold 40k+ NSXs they would have. Supply demand

Perry what do you mean "not fair"? I am just stating facts. There were over 40,000 E46 M3's sold only. Nevermind E36 or E30. Compared to the NSX, they are all over the place. It is what it is, I am not passing judegment on anything. I like the M3.

We are talking about the NEW m3 right? The v8/420hp one right? I wouldnt trade for an e46, but the NEW one hell yes.

We are talking about the NEW m3 right? The v8/420hp one right? I wouldnt trade for an e46, but the NEW one hell yes.

Well, that says alot coming form DownForce. So, someone who is a huge fan of the new M3 post up some stats and pics of the car. I'm too lazy to look it up.:tongue:

I wonder what guys on M3 forums would think about this thread?

I have probably around $40,000 more into my car than the new M3. For me the answer is definitely no. If I had a less expensive NSX I guess I might consider it, but to me at least, its going downhill.

sounds beefy. Car seems to have great pick-up. Heres some vids. Its looks are not so appealing.
http://www.edbmw.com/blog/
A nice insight. For thousands less, the BMW 335i with an ECU upgrade surpasses the power of the new V8 M3. :eek:

sounds beefy. Car seems to have great pick-up. Heres some vids. Its looks are not so appealing.
http://www.edbmw.com/blog/
A nice insight. For thousands less, the BMW 335i with an ECU upgrade surpasses the power of the new V8 M3. :eek:

Well two things on that.

One your comparing modded to stock and there's just a 10hp difference. If we wait and see what a modded M3 will do then we have a fair comparison.

Next your modded 335i is a BMW w/o a warranty..not a good thing! All that additional performance the M3 brings is warranted. Have you guys priced BMW parts? I wouldn't even want to see the cost of turbo/engine replacement on 335i.

Also just for a side a used E46 M3 with a supercharger is cheaper than both and more powerful:biggrin:

Well two things on that.

One your comparing modded to stock and there's just a 10hp difference. If we wait and see what a modded M3 will do then we have a fair comparison.

Next your modded 335i is a BMW w/o a warranty..not a good thing! All that additional performance the M3 brings is warranted. Have you guys priced BMW parts? I wouldn't even want to see the cost of turbo/engine replacement on 335i.

Also just for a side a used E46 M3 with a supercharger is cheaper than both and more powerful:biggrin:
you are right on all accounts. BMW has let me down quite a few times. My experiences with new BMWs were not the best to say the least. My first 2000 e39 back in Jan of 2001 gave me issues with a weak clutch. I went through two clutches within 4k miles. Seems there was an issue with the flywheel and clutch capatibilities. BMW gave me issues trying to get it replaced up until 2 others came into the same dealership with the same issues. My bros e46 back in 2001 fell victim to the rod bearing failure. It was early on when they were first released where i had issues trying to get BMW to cover their mistake only to have an identical engine put back in with no change. Didnt make sense to keep it. I for one would stay far away from first year productions. The only BMWs that i have had no real issues were my SCed 500hp e36 m3 and a 91 e34 M5 (yes i was an M lover) I use to think Benzes were ok till i saw an SL65 with an electrical fire at the Benz dealer last week with only 1750miles. Too many damn electronics these days and unsupportive drivetrains for these high output motors. I like my NSX just teh way it came from the factory. Shes been real good to me for the past couple years.

Back