• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wow...Dry Carbon doors, fenders, wing, trunk, everything...

I for one think main body panels even in carbon fiber should be painted on street cars (just personal preference) but wow..this guy really did an awesome job with his NSX making dry carbon doors and stock fenders and bumpers with perfect fitment. It's a real shame he won't produce them..I bet many here would love to get their hands on those.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0702_turp_1996_acura_nsx/index.html

Don't get too excited, I seen this car in person and even though it look nice from a distance, but up close is... The fitment of the panels can use little more work.

btw, it doesn't look like "dry" carbon. It looks like a regular wet out lay-up parts. I would consider "dry" to be less than 40% resin weight to cloth.

Dry Carbon:
supergt_nsx.jpg

2007-nismo-fairlady-z-with.jpg

I for one think main body panels even in carbon fiber should be painted on street cars (just personal preference) but wow..this guy really did an awesome job with his NSX making dry carbon doors and stock fenders and bumpers with perfect fitment. It's a real shame he won't produce them..I bet many here would love to get their hands on those.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0702_turp_1996_acura_nsx/index.html

Impressive effort. Although, seems like other opportunities existed there to shed weight.

agreed. I like CF as much as the next guy... as an accent. I don't think any car would look good done completely in CF. JMO. :rolleyes:

Really? I'm just really not so sure about that one. It seems to me the pros manage to pull it off ok. Also functional, paint just adds weight.

For club stuff, whatever. The problem on street/track club cars with wet parts and a coat of auto clear is as they mentioned, difficult to get it to hold up. The only example I've ever seen on an NSX in person was probably Jackson's (formally Seth's) car. With those types of parts it doesn't take long before it quickly starts looking a little ratty getting pitted up and then it is difficult to repair. If you get a crack in FRP you can patch it up with a little duraglass and re-spray it. Carbon if you damage the weave you just have to replace the whole part. Their is a new ceramic clear available that can be baked on they use in WRC that apparently works wonders, but ultimately it is what it is.

weight_loss2.jpg

supergt_nissan-z.jpg

supergt_lexus-430.jpg

btw, it doesn't look like "dry" carbon. It looks like a regular wet out lay-up parts. I would consider "dry" to be less than 40% resin weight to cloth.

Dry Carbon:

supergt_nsx.jpg

It says in the article he put a top coat on it. Works for me. I can definitely appreciate having aero parts that light and rigid. If everyone else wants to put their nose up to carbon that's ok by me. I'd pimp that. LOL.

It's a shame we are so limited here in NSX land on good functional options, pre-peg being so cost prohibitive. Many other communities fair better in this space.

Last edited:

Dry Carbon:
supergt_nsx.jpg

2007-nismo-fairlady-z-with.jpg

They are dry carbon with clear coat over them if you read the article. great parts I'm sure, but not for me as I have no purpose to shed that much weight.

someone needs to post pics of a "naked" Pagani Zonda F.
For I think $100k ish you get a non painted CF body, however, unlike the painted one, since the weave will show they make the weave perfect and match up at all seems perfectly. Obviously its not easy and they end up scraping a decent amount, thus the 100k extra

but it is sweet lookin :)

someone needs to post pics of a "naked" Pagani Zonda F.
For I think $100k ish you get a non painted CF body, however, unlike the painted one, since the weave will show they make the weave perfect and match up at all seems perfectly. Obviously its not easy and they end up scraping a decent amount, thus the 100k extra

but it is sweet lookin :)

I prefer the R

pagani-zonda-r1.jpg

The cheap one is ok too..

800px-Pagani_Zonda_F_Carbon.jpg

Nice for running errands...

gms1.jpg

Back