• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Xpel wrap

How many of you guys did xpel wrap. Did you do the whole car or just the nose?

i just got quoted $3000 to do the full nose, the a pillars etc. He was also doing ceramic coating of the car and radar mount.

Mine is a lease so so I guess I really don’t have to do it.

I am not sure how there would be any payback from wrapping a leased car, unless you bought it out and resold it.

I cant decide, was quoted $6k for the whole car. I can buy an iroc camaro or 80s transam for that amount (which I would happily own except my wife hate my 80s cars)

Here's my take..

It seems like a lot of the new nsx owners with the recent incentives are the guys that had gen 1s for a long time and thought it was a great time to upgrade etc. Most of these guys grew up in the era of the leather nose bra which was hideous but did its job well. So i feel as though it's harder for them to justify 4-6k for a "clear-bra" since this product isn't something that was really necessary to them and something they haven't spent money on in that quantity (not trying to bash just stating why not a lot of people haven't commented on it)

I'd say clear bra really took off around 5-6 years ago with the self-healing, non yellowing, and the tuck method (not seeing the lines). Within this last year i was able to obtain some really high end cars which ALL had to have 100% full clear bra wrap from new or else i wouldn't even consider buying them. It really hurt when i saw such a clean gen 1 nsx with low miles but still very pitted in the front.. no ones fault really but its an eye sore for such a beautiful car and i couldn't even imagine that on a $150k+ car

Just like Rondtable said if you are looking to keep this car forever i would do it but if you're debating since its a 3 year lease I would be safe and at least do the full front/small patches near the tires for when debris kicks up.

I'm a clean freak and really want my new shiny toy to be shiny forever with no pits. Its worth my $ and i feel for future resale its great as well.. just ask yourself as a consumer if you didn't have a chance to buy a new nsx now but had to wait 2-3 years. There were 3 in the spec you wanted, 2 of them were low miles with no clear bra but had some nasty pits/rock chips and the 3rd had higher miles but looked brand new because it was full clear bra'd.. which one would you choose? i'm no sales guy but its a lot worse to re-paint a car to match then just to wrap it with clear bra.. plus we all love to have our "spirited" drives :) it makes me feel 100% fine to get some dirt on it after the bra

Last edited:
That's a lot of scratch for a car you may not keep. I am in the same boat right now trying to decide. I already have one chip on my hood and it is making me nuts so I may just bite the bullet and do it even though I am leasing. I may end up with car in the end. Plus you pick up A LoT of debris on the track.

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX
2015 Yukon (zzzzzzz) SCCA tow vehicle

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-Type (sold)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

IMO, If it's a high end car, lease or own, it needs at minimum the nose, front fenders, mirrors and headlights protected. Though, on a lease that you intend to return, the minimum I would do is the nose and headlights of the car. All of my cars have Xpel protection at least to the front doors. I've had Xpel on my NSX for five years with no issues. The paint looks the same as the day I bought it. Plus, I've driven it at least 45K miles since it was installed. It's a great investment as far as I'm concerned that allows me some peace of mind while driving.

My take is ALMOST EVERY high end, exotic car has this either from dealer or done after.

Definitely increases value and to find one without it immediately signals a red flag.

As for doing it or not, it's your money so you decide but at end of the day, the benefits far outweigh the cost.

Have had 4 cars wrapped with Xpel Ultimate film. Three - 1st Gen NSX's ( 2 of which I still own) and 1 Lexus Daily driver.
Have been extremely happy with the product and the freedom it gives in knowing the rocks will still hit the car, but the paint will look just as good as the day the film was placed. Xpel gives a 10 year warranty since they know they have a great product.
I think the minimum is the nose, headlights and hood. I personally like the side mirrors covered and also the two front fenders that way the entire from of the car is protected.
Make sure the shop/individual has been trained by Xpel and uses Xpel's library of patterns to cut out the exact fits for your vehicle. If done right, the edges are wrapped under the visible surface and you cannot even tell it has been done.

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-ultimate-paint-protection-film/

Also here are the different pattern choices for the NEW NSX.
Note prices are just the pieces of film and not the installation. But gives you an idea.
http://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio...assenger_Cars_and_Light_Trucks/2017/Acura/NSX

Full paint correction + xpel on front clip + ceramic coating for $3000 sounds high but still about right for a top quality job... is this from Detailer's Domain in Norwood?
Personally, I would skip the expense of the xpel on a leased car, but then again, I've heard of people buying extended warranties on leased cars expecting to buy them out... and they didn't!

Last edited:
Is wrapping the front clip and A pillars enough? I plan to also do the door sills, but I'm wondering about the edge of the side intercooler vents. Seems like they can take a direct hit. Anyone notice paint chips in any other area?

I have had the car over a year and just hit 5000 miles, some of which were driven at a zippy pace (i.e more potential for damage from little pebbles impacting the car).

Just 1 paint chip on the hood.

I own my cars and tend to keep them for a long time. I use Xpel Ultimate film on the front/hood/headlights of my most valuable car and HIGHLY recommend it.

They will thoroughly inspect the car when you turn it in at leases end and you may be responsible for any or all of the dings,chips, and scratches. Given the paint process on these cars, I’d do the front and mirrors at a minimum to be on the safe side. I’d also find out if the lease allows any of this wrapping to be done prior to shopping for it as some dealers have different terms.

Xpel

I just had my front end wrapped with Xpel, complete hood and fenders plus mirrors ( I think there was 9 pieces for each mirror plus trim around mirrors). Didn't do the "A" pilers but think I might after reading all the post above. Xpel does a fantastic job with the patterns, especially hood as it wraps underneath. I paid a little over $1800 and we did it in my garage on lift, the guy is incredible with detail and talent so if you live in CT let me know and I would be happy to refer you to him. I than machined buffed on a primer/polisher (Slick Back) over film and applied ceramic coating from 22ple to entire car...boy does it bounce now. I also applied one coat of sealant (Blackfire) over 22ple for a slicker finish after 5 day cure of ceramic.

I wouldn't do Xpel on a lease unless I was going to buy it out afterward.

That said, I have Xpel Ultimate on my CTS-V wagon. I strongly recommend it. the Xpel has gotten a little pitted with 40k miles of cross-country roadtrips, and nearly five years of use. It's probably time for me to redo it, but it's better for the pitting to be on the Xpel than on the paint.

At the end of the day, it's up to you whether to do the Xpel on a lease; you'll never see the payback for it.

PS if you lease another Acura, Acura gives you a $1500 damage waiver at lease turn-in. On more plebeian Acuras, it's certainly an added incentive to remain with the brand....

Last edited:
They will thoroughly inspect the car when you turn it in at leases end and you may be responsible for any or all of the dings,chips, and scratches. Given the paint process on these cars, I’d do the front and mirrors at a minimum to be on the safe side. I’d also find out if the lease allows any of this wrapping to be done prior to shopping for it as some dealers have different terms.

Not likely unless it's severe. Normal paint scuffs, small door dings and rock chips fall under normal wear and tear.

I just turned in my F-type that was covered in paint chips, curb rash on wheel, CCB worn down ( hate to see the price of that brake job) and I was charged nothing.

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX
2015 Yukon (zzzzzzz) SCCA tow vehicle

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-Type (gone)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

Back