• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Yes I Can

Hey capt, is that the same owner that has the ZR1?

No. This was another instructor who apparently had a broken left arm (because he would never give me a point by). His ego couldn't take it. I talked to him at lunch and he told me that he didn't give me a point by all morning because.... "my GT3 is much faster than your NSX." :rolleyes: That totally explains why I had to keep feathering the throttle in turns 2,3,5,6 & 7 to keep from running him over. :tongue:

Bob, who owns the ZR1 also has a yellow GT3 and yellow 997T.

Last edited:
Well then whoop his ass seabass! Mighty impressive for running against someone like a paid instructor.

I'd like to see some of our nsxprime weekend track rats run together with our nsxprime pro's/semi-pros. Sounds like a fun event.

Well then whoop his ass seabass! Mighty impressive for running against someone like a paid instructor.

I'd like to see some of our nsxprime weekend track rats run together with our nsxprime pro's/semi-pros. Sounds like a fun event.

I have a feeling that most of the West Coast NSX track rats could woop my butt. Ken Sax on the other hand, I could lap. :cool:

You know me... I am always down for a little pros vs. joes...

I suppose while you are at it you could also arrange with the NFL to have Dan Marino attend the Podunk Elementary Little League Football game next Thursday night. Let's see those 13 yr old faces when they get their asses kicked, and find themselves run-over laying on a stretcher all whiny with a broken collar bone askin' for their mommies.

Then who will be the bigger man? YEAH, WHO WILL IT BE THEN :confused: :wink: :biggrin:

Thinking: I don't know, but let's enjoy...

lol, I'd like to go to an all nsx track event. That would be awesome, even from a benchwarmer perspective.

Why hasn't anyone thought of that before? Like a PCA, BMW, or Audi day... except with all NSXes.... we could call it NSXPO :eek:

Ken Sax on the other hand, I could lap. :cool:

Sounds like you are ready to kick your game up a notch. The word on the street is that Ken's the man to beat. I might have just gotten lucky last year, it was certainly a close call. All I know is that if you can take a GT3, then I think you have a real shot at the HPDE King Crown, and I say that full well knowing how highly competitive an HPDE advanced run group can be. Make us proud, and just remember...

yes_you_can.png

Last edited:
Why hasn't anyone thought of that before? Like a PCA, BMW, or Audi day... except with all NSXes.... we could call it NSXPO :eek:

Too much fluff. That's like more like a festival. Too much other things going on that doesn't interest me much like wax on wax off day, meet someone famous day, look at airplanes on a stick or hanging on a string day etc.

Well the GT3 may be faster but the driver sure wasn't. With his ego and driving line it's too bad he calls himself an instructor. As always, good driving Cap'n, you're an inspiration.

Too much fluff. That's like more like a festival. Too much other things going on that doesn't interest me much like wax on wax off day, meet someone famous day, look at airplanes on a stick or hanging on a string day etc.

Oh you mean the social? You don't have to sign up for that. Just sign up for the driving school.

Just because you travel 2000 miles to an HPDE doesn't mean you have to talk to anyone when you get there. Just focus on the group 3 ass kicking and the rest will probably fall into place. :tongue:

Oh you mean the social? You don't have to sign up for that. Just sign up for the driving school.

Just because you travel 2000 miles to an HPDE doesn't mean you have to talk to anyone when you get there. Just focus on the group 3 ass kicking and the rest will probably fall into place. :tongue:

When NSXEXPO was at MidOhio they wouldn't let me sign up for the driving event with out also paying for the social. :mad:

Well done mate, Im very impressed with your driving.:smile:

John, please tell me that video wasn't actually an advanced group. If it was that's pitiful.

If you want to have me spot you some good footage of Atoms, Lambos, F430's, and other such exotics... I'll have Eddie put my chase-cam in his stock 192hp SSB Honda Civic SI, or we'll get a rental Kia for the day...

Advanced Warning: This could be pretty ugly... :wink: :biggrin:

that $hi+ pisses me off so much when people do that...

tbh you left him a lot of room for doubt on whether or not to let you pass... although his ego was a factor that nothing can be worked around, the distance you kept on him thru most of the course could've been interpreted as a 'good chase' and he just didn't want to give it up.

Usually when I get in that situation I have a tendency to be over-aggressive and ride their tail (1, 'maybe' 2 feet) until they drive their mirror and mess up.

There are probably some people here who would disagree but in my opinion at the instructor level:
1. Ego's should be left at the door.
2. If 1 != true; then attempts to irritate and explain "let me pass" are allowed.

just my .02

Usually when I get in that situation I have a tendency to be over-aggressive and ride their tail (1, 'maybe' 2 feet) until they drive their mirror and mess up.

My experience has been the problem with doing that is that if you spook the wrong person, they could very well end up crashing and totaling their car. A lot of drivers get very nervous (and angry) when they see the car behind them zoom-in mid-corner and fill up their entire rear view mirror, and are going to start making a lot of mistakes. Besides, why would you want to put your car on the line? Remember, it only has to happen once.

In a HPDE context (and even as I found in a Club Racing context in some instances), their is no need to be overly aggressive and sitting a foot off anyones bumper. Don't make assumptions about another drivers abilities, know for certain. Dial it back a notch. Safety starts with being predictable. Give people lots of room, wait for the point-by, and take a clean pass. Their is always another lap, their is always another day. Scrub the lap. Work on specific sections, have the starter give you more room. Do whatever you need to do. I am not asserting to not properly present yourself for a pass, but by all means use good judgement.

If you just can't deal with it anymore and are completely bored out of your kazooo, then either get the safety gear you need and go racing- or get a slower car. Either will go a long way toward solving the wait-for-point-by issue. This whole thing is nothing more than a constant learning experience, and if you think you have it all wrapped up and want to step it up- their is always another level.

Last edited:
In general,from past experience:redface: the selfish ego driven doofus will probably be the first to complain to the organizers about you following recklesly:rolleyes:

In a HPDE context (and even as I found in a Club Racing context in some instances), their is no need to be overly aggressive and sitting a foot off anyones bumper. Don't make assumptions about another drivers abilities, know for certain. Dial it back a notch. Safety starts with being predictable. Give people lots of room, wait for the point-by, and take a clean pass. Their is always another lap, their is always another day. Scrub the lap. Work on specific sections, have the starter give you more room. Do whatever you need to do. I am not asserting to not properly present yourself for a pass, but by all means use good judgement.

If you just can't deal with it anymore and are completely bored out of your kazooo, then either get the safety gear you need and go racing- or get a slower car. Either will go a long way toward solving the wait-for-point-by issue.

Yep in the vid, can def see Capt pull back a LONG ways after it was apparent dingus wasn't going to give him the go by

No. This was another instructor who apparently had a broken left arm (because he would never give me a point by). His ego couldn't take it. I talked to him at lunch and he told me that he didn't give me a point by all morning because.... "my GT3 is much faster than your NSX." :rolleyes: That totally explains why I had to keep feathering the throttle in turns 2,3,5,6 & 7 to keep from running him over. :tongue:

That was an instructor? He was braking way to early and getting on the gas way to late + had a terrible line. You looked very good! Way to go. What is done to your car. You can see the extra power really helps out on the straits for the GT3.

It was obvious that after :51 on the video the guy in the P-car was driving with his mirror because his line was wacked after that. He finally straightened himself up after a couple of minutes...looked like he exited because he needed to change his shorts...LOL

That looks like a pretty nice track Captain, where is that? Having been on the end of numerous overtakes, if you are experienced enough to call yourself an instructor, you should have a pretty good feel for the relative speed of you vs. other cars near you.

Big HPDE events can get tedious (although it's usually tendonitis from all the point-bys I do from my MR2); It's occasionally nice though when a big club rents a big track, it threatens to rain and you end up with very small run groups. I was playing "pit crew" for my dad up at Pocono this past weekend...Lots of open track (sorry for the cheese-ball intro and lack of NSX...I was bored):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL5q9nD3Etk

Last edited:
I might not as "qualified" as most people up here, but I'm a track rat, and lately, I have the case of the fast equipment, no money/time to go racing, don't want to spend a dime to turn my slow daily driver to race car. (again no money), corner workers kept giving me black flags calling me out with aggressive driving (and i wasn't)

I just have to laugh at some of these comments, since when you have to be "fast" to qualify as an instructor?? I'm sure fast driver can be a good instructor or teacher, but not =. Slow driver with safe line certainly can be a very good instructor for novice and probably do the sport better favor than a fast driver giving "speed secret" to newbies causing newbie crashing their car....

disclaimer: I had not had a chance to watch captain's clip though... and yeah with the right equipment, nsx can catch up GT3 easily... If the GT3 is not running R compounds, it will be a pretty fair match up.

EDITED: just watched the clip, it seems like either the GT3 driver's input isn't smooth enough, or the car had street tires/poor suspension setup, there's a lot of motion and it didn't show in your car. oh and contrary to public believes, the 996 GT3 is a fast car but not exactly an easy one.. our the other Ken (2slow2speed) once had one and he told me the nsx is much better car than it, so he sold the GT3 in short time.

I actually thinks that looks fun, I rather have this than a clean lap with no traffic.

Last edited:

What a dick, I hate those egotistical "instructors" who always seem to 'know it all', especially when they have track hotrod like a GT3.

You should have said "You were holding me up in the corners so I guess that makes me a better driver than you to more than make up for it. So how about the morning talks about "if you're the guy in the Corvette/Viper, and a miata is right behind you lap after lap, he's probably faster than you so let off the gas on the straight and let him by." Should we change that talk from Viper to GT3 and Miata to NSX?"

Back