• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Yet another Climate control Fix

All 13 Caps have been replaced but no change. Measuring the old ones didn't show any errors and no leakages, board lookes in new pristene cond.
Still same problem exists: after startup AC display works, but AC takes several minutes to start working/ cooling the int..
Both condensor fans in the front work immediatly after startup, interior temp sensor fan in center console works.
Could it possibly the fact that I changed the temp range of the display from fahrenheit to celcius by making the one wire removal mod have anything to do with it?
I am at a loss......

Last edited:
Is the compressor running right away on start up?

Within seconds after starting the engine, I hear the "click" of the compressor clutch engaging, so I would say yes.

To recap the problem:
-CCU display works, no malfunctions
-interior temp sensor fan in center console runs
-both on auto or full auto mode, it takes about 2-4 min after startup before CCU starts blowing
-I have run CCU diagnostic check as described in workshop manual and no errors shown
-if after starting the engine I put temp on min and blower on max, CCU starts up after a few sec. If I however I change temp up or change blowerspeed down, it stops and the period of 2-4 min before it automatically starts working applies again.
-The moment I turn the ignition key on, both condensorfans in the front start running.

????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:
The power transistor does not start working again, once it fails it is does not work again.

You have the classic fan only runs on high problem but it just has not completely failed. Changing the caps is only half the repair, you need to find the trace(s) that have been damaged by the leaking capacitors and repair them. Yes I know you said your board is perfect but it is not working correctlly so one trace is compromised. Hint look by the + side of C32.

Last edited:
Brian

The replacement of the caps was done by a friend of mine who as hobby does a lot of electronics repairs and has all tools and checking equipment.
After removing the caps, he measured all of them and all were correct, but were replaced with new ones anyway.
I was looking over his shoulder all the time looking for trace damages caused by leakage as there has been so much emphasis on that.

There was absolutely NO leakage from any of the caps, the board looks like it just came from the factory.
Checked all board connecting points for the caps with a jewellers magnifying glass (don't know the english name for that :rolleyes:) and everything is totally new looking.
Am somewhat at a loss by now...:frown:

Most likelly you have a bad trace from the + side of C32 to its trace and until you confirm that is not the case through measurment or installing a wire to make sure that is not the problem I am sticking to that diagnosis.

Brian,

Thanks for the info, I will look into this, but if I cannot confirm quickly, I will have to put it back into the car as is for visiting the Importfever biggest Europe NSX meeting ever this weekend and get back on topic next week.

I do not have Skype, but if you are willing to PM me your phone# I will get to you by phone next week on this if not remidied earlier.
A big thanks for your imput so far

Most likelly you have a bad trace from the + side of C32 to its trace and until you confirm that is not the case through measurment or installing a wire to make sure that is not the problem I am sticking to that diagnosis.

I checked the trace at C32 positive and noticed that on top and bottom side of the board there are different traces running from the C32 positive side.
On both top and bottom trace I checked for continuity between the C32 positive side on the trace and the next solderpoint on the trace.
On both top and bottom side traces I had continuity, so traces are good.
Installed the unit for tomorrow's drive.
If I want to continue troubleshooting next week, wat next?

Just send it to the CCU Master- Briank. He can find the problem and fix it quickly at a reasonable cost.

If it wouldn't involve sending the board to the other side of the world, I would already have done that :rolleyes:
I need to use the car quite a lot during the next month, I presume if sending it, it will take at least 3-4 weeks untill it is back and if customs are busy, probably even longer, not an option at the moment. :frown: so really want to repair it here

If it wouldn't involve sending the board to the other side of the world, I would already have done that :rolleyes:
I need to use the car quite a lot during the next month, I presume if sending it, it will take at least 3-4 weeks untill it is back and if customs are busy, probably even longer, not an option at the moment. :frown: so really want to repair it here

**I was suggesting that AFTER the next month, (if you can't fix it), send it to Briank, as a last resort. He's the best.

I checked the trace at C32 positive and noticed that on top and bottom side of the board there are different traces running from the C32 positive side.
On both top and bottom trace I checked for continuity between the C32 positive side on the trace and the next solderpoint on the trace.

I can't really help you any futher with out seeing the board and putting it on my test fixture.

Last edited:

A good close up picture of C32 area might be helpfull.

Thanks Brian, things might have corrected themselves:confused:
I have hardly used the car over the last few months, it being garaged almost all of the time.
This weekend I have driven it for a total of about 800Km and behold: it seems as if the CCU is almost functioning correctly again.

Today I have used it for several short drives and every time I started the car, the CCU started up immediatly, nothing like the 3-4 min wait it had before.
Only thing is that it seems to blow quite somewhat colder than the temp I have set it to.
Weather is relatively extremely warm here at the moment with about 28-30C in the sun and even on 26C setting, the air blowing in feels quite cold.

I am starting to wonder if the outside temp sensor in the front bumper may be the problem of all malfunctioning. Simply reasoning that if this sensor is not correctly working, the whole CCU may be off in it's functioning :confused:.

A good close up picture of C32 area might be helpfull.

Brian,
Thanks for the offer to view, but a pict will not show anything as the board is really fully new to the sight. I cannot emphasize it enough: there is absolutely NO leakage from the caps, the board and all it's traces look like it was produced yesterday. Only the solderpoints of all now replaced caps are a little less neat than they were originally...
Can it be that a partially malfunctioning temp sensor has been the cause of the problems?

Brian,
Thanks for the offer to view, but a pict will not show anything as the board is really fully new to the sight. I cannot emphasize it enough: there is absolutely NO leakage from the caps, the board and all it's traces look like it was produced yesterday. Only the solderpoints of all now replaced caps are a little less neat than they were originally...
Can it be that a partially malfunctioning temp sensor has been the cause of the problems?

Run the test procedure and if there is a problem with the sensor it will show up.

Hi Brian,

I will have the unit removed by my friend the next few days. I found the instruction off your site already. Do you have instruction to remove the card from the unit? Thanks in advance.

hello,

sorry to interrupt but my ac is not working too. So, the drivers side is not cold but the passenger side is good? how can i fix this? I want to learn how to do it.

Hi Brian,

Finally I got the control board off. Please see the attached picture. Please advise how we should proceed to the next step.. Thanks in advance.

2m62x6r.jpg

Back