• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ZTek Headers test fitting (LA area) + Group Buy, Want to particpate?

Z'gut...

TURBO2GO said:
Wow thats 23... I hope the price is going to be really good.

D@mn str8
! :cool:

If the interest peaks 40, which I'm SURE it can... a kick-a$$ initial offering price would be grrreat! :wink:

$740-$825 shipped *IS* a "kick-a$$ initial offering price". How much cheaper would Lance's costs actually be if the shop made him 40 instead of 20 and he bought double the materials? I can't imagine all that much.

Look at the alternatives. The cheapest set of headers on SoS' website is $1300 before shipping. On Dali it's $1562 before shipping.

On ebay you have some unknown brand for $870 plus shipping or $938 plus shipping for DC Sports (flexpipe issues still?)

Why $740-$825 including shipping for a quality product with a lifetime warranty isn't making EVERYONE jump up and down instead of asking for it even cheaper is beyond me.

keep on keepin' on!

Well, for starters the "lifetime warranty" is nothing to do nekkid cartwheels about IMHO. Why? Removal/reinstallation, shipping to & 'fro, and downtime equal nearly 75% of the initial purchase costs.

If problem arises as'per warranty claim...

- removal of exhaust-manifolds/headers = $250'ish
- packing/shipping of exhaust-manifolds/headers to ZTek = $50 (?)
- return shipping of exhaust-manifolds/headers to customer = $50 (?)
- reinstallation of fixed/swapped exhaust-manifolds/headers = $250'ish
- downtime of NSX (possibly 1-2weeks) = relative

Not faulting ZTek, this is the case w/ just about any exhaust-manifold/header option available that involves shipping for warranty-claim.

robr, you're not going to negotiate the price of my next NSX ok!?! :tongue:

The Ebay offering linked presumably are same as what ZTek ultimately will provide. I can't/won't confirm 100%, but I'm quite sure. I'm not inferring it as a good/bad thing, just an insight.

A potential demand of over 20 units at $650-$750 (est.) for an initial offering of an unproven, newly designed/fabricated product by a relatively new-to-NSX-community vendor is excellent if you ask me. The prospect of even more would be gravy, the type w/ truffles & caviar... :biggrin:

I don't want to get into the price/brand comparison, it's not fair to anyone involved. One has to see pricing from the perspective of the eventual MSRP & discounted price in the future. Use those figures along w/ those of other group-buys/initial-offerings in a ratio to corelate what a newer offering's price may be. It's not randomness to be expecting $600-$700, there is some logic to the derivation of the particular price-point.

As aforementioned in previous posts/comments, if anyone is considering aftermarket exhaust-manifolds/headers for the NSX in the future, this might be the ideal time for a significant savings.

I can get a really good deal on the Comptech unit. But since the NA2 header seems to be damn good from the factory, I can't justify droppeing another $1200/1300 on one. At 700-800 or slightly over, I can somewhat justify the cost with the bit of extra performance and some weight savings.

Hopefully the product will be really well made and then everyone makes out. I am sure the last thing Ztek wants is units coming back and unhappy customers. At his tight margins that would be a disaster for him.

1. Yaynsx
2. shinny930
3. Osiris_x11
4. Oyagi
5. lightguy
6. Nihilation
7. 96GoldNSX
8. clr1024 (on price)
9. the0ne (awaiting pics, in the mkt.)
10. Veleno (QA/QC assurance)
11. CDX_NSX (price/quality/dyno) - '93
12. robr ('91) for original proprosed price of $740-$825.
13.Audiophile (04)
14. Wealthbuildr (1991)
15.TURBO2GO (2005)
16. iasports (1994)
17. bizman (price)
18. distance runner (edit: I am out.)
19. goldNSX (1991) (price)
20. nsxr097 (92)
21. Deylo (1991) (price)
22. dcam (1991) (price)
23. ibDursty (1995) Assuming most of the features that are listed above.. biggest is the O2 sensor harness

Last edited:
This thread seams to have hit a roadblock with little or no new info and no actual confirmation of pricing. Ztek what is the deal? (literally what is it?):confused: Is this a go and where do we stand money wise?

1. Yaynsx
2. shinny930
3. Osiris_x11
4. Oyagi
5. lightguy
6. Nihilation
7. 96GoldNSX
8. clr1024 (on price)
13.Audiophile (04)
14. Wealthbuildr (1991)
15.TURBO2GO (2005)
16. iasports (1994)
17. bizman (price)
20. nsxr097 (92)
21. Deylo (1991) (price)
22. dcam (1991) (price)
23. ibDursty (1995) Assuming most of the features that are listed above.. biggest is the O2 sensor harness

bizman said:
This thread seams to have hit a roadblock with little or no new info and no actual confirmation of pricing. Ztek what is the deal? (literally what is it?):confused: Is this a go and where do we stand money wise?

Hey all, sorry for the delays, these headers are much more complicated than any other header system we have desinged, so its taking some time. I have been going back and forth, working hard to get these headers out. But not to worry, like is said I am hoping to be able to offer them at $740-$825, (I am trying to just get you guys all the lowest price without losing money =)... so my margins are gonna be very slim). I will have the exact price in 5 days and headers should be then availible at 40 days from then. Thanks for being all so patient! It'll pay off, I swear.

Last edited:
goldNSX said:
1. Yaynsx
2. shinny930
3. Osiris_x11
4. Oyagi
5. lightguy
6. Nihilation
7. 96GoldNSX
8. clr1024 (on price)
13.Audiophile (04)
14. Wealthbuildr (1991)
15.TURBO2GO (2005)
16. iasports (1994)
17. bizman (price)
19. fcs1965 (1992)
20. nsxr097 (92)
21. Deylo (1991) (price)
22. dcam (1991) (price)

1. Yaynsx
2. shinny930
3. Osiris_x11
4. Oyagi
5. lightguy
6. Nihilation
7. 96GoldNSX
8. clr1024 (on price)
13.Audiophile (04)
14. Wealthbuildr (1991)
15.TURBO2GO (2005)
16. iasports (1994)
17. bizman (price)
19. fcs1965 (1992)
20. nsxr097 (92)
21. Deylo (1991) (price)
22. dcam (1991) (price)
24. fcs1965
25 Splitz (quality, price, discount if exhaust is bought at same time?)

robr said:
40 days... i'm pretty much out. will remove my name once my car returns from the shop (next tuesday or wednesday).

Yea, sorry man, I wish I could do earlier. If you were in the LA area, i'd might be able to work something out with one of our prototypes. Maybe slap on the oem's for the inspection? but is there any way to weld up the damaged part just to hold up enough for your smog?

splitz said:
1. Yaynsx
2. shinny930
3. Osiris_x11
4. Oyagi
5. lightguy
6. Nihilation
7. 96GoldNSX
8. clr1024 (on price)
13.Audiophile (04)
14. Wealthbuildr (1991)
15.TURBO2GO (2005)
16. iasports (1994)
17. bizman (price)
19. fcs1965 (1992)
20. nsxr097 (92)
21. Deylo (1991) (price)
22. dcam (1991) (price)
24. fcs1965
25 Splitz (quality, price, discount if exhaust is bought at same time?)

Yes, there will be a special discount if you buy a exhaust at the same time. =) The ver.2 ZTek exhaust will be availible then as well (lighter and larger double walled tips).

Tuesday we're going to try lots of liquid wrench and see if we can get the test pipes off without destroying the flexpipes on the headers any worse than they already are.

I looked into repair but the downtime while the headers are sent out made it unrealistic (this is my only car). I don't have the stock pipes (and again paying for labor for temporarily putting them on, then removing them again wouldn't make sense).

If we do destroy the headers next week, I'll call you again to see if the prototype is no longer needed.

I'm very interested based on price/timing assuming features mentioned in this thread are true and fit solid. I didnt see the dyno results yet. any news there? I have a 91 and would also be interested in a local pickup and or fit. PM me for contact info if you would like to try a test fit. I have both the original stock as well as an aftermarket cat-back. cats and test pipes. So there are many combo's we could validate.

Re: make-it-happen...

Osiris_x11 said:
To reiterate myself, if it's $800/shipped for '91-'96 and obviously slightly more for NA2's...

Tell me Osiris_x11... Why would you expect to pay more for an NA2 header than a NA1 when it is the NA1 setup which involves the more complicated flex/ball joint setup? :confused: If there is a price difference for the different years then the 91-94 should be more expensive surely? :confused:

ZTekExhaust said:
Here you go! Also OEM quality hardware that in required to install will come too (gaskets, bolts, springs etc). Mind, our finished headers will be FULLY POLISHED and may have finished forged merge collectors on both banks :biggrin: if we can get it to fit (similar to our P 996 headers). Very good for flow, but not on our bottom line =( but hey, we're still gonna offer them at the same smoooookin prices.

91-94 - you get everything pictured
95+ - you get everything minus the adaptors

I don't see any mention of the O2 sensor wiring harness extension being included???

Re: make-it-happen...

AU_NSX said:
Tell me Osiris_x11... Why would you expect to pay more for an NA2 header than a NA1 when it is the NA1 setup which involves the more complicated flex/ball joint setup? :confused: If there is a price difference for the different years then the 91-94 should be more expensive surely? :confused:

I don't see any mention of the O2 sensor wiring harness extension being included???

The NA2 will be lower in price than the NA1, due to the need for much more hardware and the ball and socket adaptors with the NA1. I am hoping to be able to throw in the o2 sensor harnesses in if I can do it without losing money, otherwise the harnesses will be available at a discount, but it's very easy to just cut and extend the stock harnesses too (should only take 20 mins), I can give detailed support over the phone for anyone interested in doing it themselves before installing the headers. I do recommend that you have a shop do the header install though, as it is fairly complicated and there are some shop tools that would make the install much faster. But MOST importantly, soak the header bolts in liquid wrench or pb blaster a couple times at least 2 days in advance before trying to remove any of the bolts.

ZTekExhaust said:
Here you go! Also OEM quality hardware that in required to install will come too (gaskets, bolts, springs etc). Mind, our finished headers will be FULLY POLISHED and may have finished forged merge collectors on both banks :biggrin: if we can get it to fit (similar to our P 996 headers). Very good for flow, but not on our bottom line =( but hey, we're still gonna offer them at the same smoooookin prices.

attachment.php

91-94 - you get everything pictured
95+ - you get everything minus the adaptors

Is it really possible to make the headers identical? It seems so logical so why hasn't anyone else done this?

I am looking at extractors for my '98... However I want the extractors for the 91-94 NA1 model... Reason is I will be putting on an Gruppe M NA1 exhaust that also removes the cats. Thus having a complete NA1 system on an NA2!

Now if for some reason I need to get the car emissions tested, then in theory I would be able to unbolt the extractors at the ball joint extensions and directly bolt the OEM cats and exhaust up to your extractors...

Is that what would be possible with the extractors that you are designing and manufacturing???

If so... Then I'm in!

AU_NSX said:
Is it really possible to make the headers identical? It seems so logical so why hasn't anyone else done this?

I am looking at extractors for my '98... However I want the extractors for the 91-94 NA1 model... Reason is I will be putting on an Gruppe M NA1 exhaust that also removes the cats. Thus having a complete NA1 system on an NA2!

Now if for some reason I need to get the car emissions tested, then in theory I would be able to unbolt the extractors at the ball joint extensions and directly bolt the OEM cats and exhaust up to your extractors...

Is that what would be possible with the extractors that you are designing and manufacturing???

If so... Then I'm in!
Yes, exactly! This way we use the NA2 OEM type ball and socket connections and hardware that will last a lifetime, unlike the other systems on the market. The actual header portion is the same for the NA1 and NA2 =).

I would recommend pairing our ZTek exhaust with these headers, if you love the Gruppe M you'll love the combo, sounds just like the Ferrari F355 screaming down the straightaway and much meaner during idle and reving, and we'll have resonated cat delete pipes availble soon as well for an even meaner note.

Last edited:
ZTekExhaust said:
Yes, exactly! This way we use the NA2 OEM type ball and socket connections and hardware that will last a lifetime, unlike the other systems on the market. The actual header portion is the same for the NA1 and NA2 =).

I would recommend pairing our exhaust with these headers, if you love the Gruppe M you'll love the combo, sounds just like the Ferrari F355 screaming down the straightaway and much meaner during idle and reving, and we'll have resonated cat delete pipes availble soon as well for an even meaner note.

Which exhaust are you recommending?

i like da cars that go boom...

AU_NSX said:

I was moreso going by market-forecasting than actual fabrication/manufacturing... meaning many more NA1 units will be sold vs. NA2 units. Less of something particular that you sell, the more you need to charge per unit to recoup costs and earn a margin worth the effort. That's really all! :smile:

Interesting point you brought up regarding NA2 -> NA1 exhaust system. I was considering the opposite awhile back w/ the DC-Sport exhaust-manifolds/headers... using the DC NA2 headers that are w/o the problematic flex-joint, mated w/ the SOS adapters for NA1 NSX's.
No flex-joint, and still competitive price for both parts (since the NA2 headers are less in cost than the NA1 headers). :cool:

Anyways, that was then... this is now! Plug-n-play baby RE: 02 sensor/wires, I don't wanna be fiddlin' w/ bung's and holes... :biggrin:

ZTek, any plans of producing sports/performance oriented 'less-restrictive' cats' for the NSX (priced above generic no-name universal units, but below Random Technology & Comptech-USA)?

Re: i like da cars that go boom...

Osiris_x11 said:
I was moreso going by market-forecasting than actual fabrication/manufacturing... meaning many more NA1 units will be sold vs. NA2 units. Less of something particular that you sell, the more you need to charge per unit to recoup costs and earn a margin worth the effort. That's really all! :smile:

Interesting point you brought up regarding NA2 -> NA1 exhaust system. I was considering the opposite awhile back w/ the DC-Sport exhaust-manifolds/headers... using the DC NA2 headers that are w/o the problematic flex-joint, mated w/ the SOS adapters for NA1 NSX's.
No flex-joint, and still competitive price for both parts (since the NA2 headers are less in cost than the NA1 headers). :cool:

Anyways, that was then... this is now! Plug-n-play baby RE: 02 sensor/wires, I don't wanna be fiddlin' w/ bung's and holes... :biggrin:

ZTek, any plans of producing sports/performance oriented 'less-restrictive' cats' for the NSX (priced above generic no-name universal units, but below Random Technology & Comptech-USA)?

We will be having hi-flow cats, and resonated cat bypasses soon! (about the same time when the headers are shipped). Interested? PM me for more info.

Back