• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is your watch of choice?

My current collection

I've been "away" from watches for a long time but started buying a couple of months ago when my daily driver Rolex needed to go to the spa for the summer. Too lazy to post pictures and many of you will know these watches already but here is the current list.

1. Rolex Sea Dweller vintage 1981. Recently fully restored and now too pretty to wear. :rolleyes:
2. Seiko automatic diver circa 1975.
3. Seiko automatic diver circa 1981
4. Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark II circa 1970.
5. Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch display back circa 1998.
6. Elysee automatic date complication.
7. Elysee automatic.
8. Panerai 1000m submersible.
9. Gold Bulova, circa 1930s

I have a Movado, a Tag Heuer,a Seiko and my best watch has
been my $13 Timex which I got while in Monterey over 2 years ago. We went down there for the races and I forgot to bring any watches. That watch keeps on going, my Movado has been in the shop many times, the Tag is OK, the Seiko is OK too.

Kinan said:
Anyone remember these?
Yep -- the original Pulsar LED watches...
My Dad had one of these. You didn't even need to press the buttons to show the time -- just shake your wrist.

Current watches (all two-tone with white/ivory faces):
- TAG Heuer S-el chrono (daily driver when "away")
- TAG Heuer GT1500 (daily driver when "home")
- Omega dress watch

Occasional beaters:
- a thin Skagen
- an old Seiko

Wish List:
- Breitling Crosswind or Bentley

nsx1164 said:
Yep -- the original Pulsar LED watches...
My Dad had one of these. You didn't even need to press the buttons to show the time -- just shake your wrist.

Hey, I remember those - some of them had some kind of a magnet that had to be placed in a certain spot or something when you were setting the time. They are probably highly collectable now!

I still have a Seiko that I got in 1976. It was the world's first LCD chronograph and the hot watch to have in racing circles - George Bignotti the Indy car guy had one along with some other big names. Retailed for $325, big bucks for a Seiko in those days!

Movado

While in High School, I had a very nice calculator watch made by Csio. It had an extra row on top of the display so it made me look even more geeky. In college, I went through a bunch of crappy ones (the calculator that i got however, was decidely more advanced but needless to say could no longer fit on my wrist). Then in 1996, before I got married I got a vette and a movado. The first was sold 2 years later the second given to may father who is "old school" and thinks that a 99cent watch will show the same time as a $999 watch (he is right btw). As for wife I am still on the original set! ;) ;) ;) :D As for the current watch ... :( I am in the process of buying a house so, Fossil will do for now.

O-Ace said:
LOL...same here! Only watch I wear is the Movado but thanks to this thread, I'm thinking of picking up another one. Checked Movado's website today and they have some pretty slick new watches I hadn't seen before :D

-Awais

I love Movado(s.) They look so sophisticated, and many people recognize them; in fact, a woman approached me today to talk about my watch.

I wear an Omega Speedmaster official watch worn on the moon. I like it because it is simple without being too flashy yet it's quite complex and has a special history/story about it. I really should not be wearing it as it is the exact watch the astronauts wore to the moon which I don't think they were using saffire crystal faces back then (or the thick bulbous face must be normal glass/plastic) so it will scratch. I've had to send it back to Omega once already.

My next watch will be an IWC.

http://www.omegawatches.com/omega/wo_space_history1

Rolax Submariner. I got this deal of a lifetime when I traveled to Hong Kong. I bought a brand new authentic Rolax, at least that was what the guy told me, for $300 usd!!!! Can you beat that?? Only now it is starting to fade a little bit. I thought 18k gold does not fade. Apparently Rolax is not as good as what people say it is.
Steve

Steve,
you got a ROLAX for $300 bucks in HK and it is fading? heheheeh next time, get a ROLEX :D

whiteNSXs said:
Rolax Submariner. I got this deal of a lifetime when I traveled to Hong Kong. I bought a brand new authentic Rolax, at least that was what the guy told me, for $300 usd!!!! Can you beat that?? Only now it is starting to fade a little bit. I thought 18k gold does not fade. Apparently Rolax is not as good as what people say it is.
Steve

I do not wear watches, just use my cell to tell time. I recently got a Waveceptor casio watch though, pretty cool watch in the sense that it adjusts the time automatically based on the radio signal that the main colorado clock tower emits a few times a day.

I do have a Patek Phillipe watch though, passed down from my father that should be worth more than 6 figures present day.

I switch between the Rolex Sea-Dweller (Fall/Winter) and the Omega SeaMaster (Spring/Summer)

Attachments

• mywatches.jpg
    mywatches.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 501
yellowpad said:
Steve,
you got a ROLAX for $300 bucks in HK and it is fading? heheheeh next time, get a ROLEX :D
Hahahaha, Calvin! I could not believe that out of so many people here, you are the only one that took the bait! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rolax. Rolex. What's the difference? :D
Steve

sapphire crystal not official moon watch

Evoking said:
I don't think they were using saffire crystal faces back then (or the thick bulbous face must be normal glass/plastic) so it will scratch. I've had to send it back to Omega once already.

Just a minor point of order: the reason that the moon watch did not have a sapphire crystal is that it would not pass NASA's testing in that form. The sapphire crystal shatters into tiny sharp fragments which were considered too much of a hazard. The Hesalite crystals used on the moon watch do not suffer from this same breakage.
As for the scratches - once a sapphire crystal is scratched - that's it - it needs replacement. The Hesalite (acrylic?) on the other hand can be polished many times and restored to perfect condition. You can even do this yourself quite easily and very inexpensively. I own both Rolex and Omega watches with "plastic" crystals and strongly prefer them over the sapphire. YMMV.

why the seasonal distinction???

Griffen said:
I switch between the Rolex Sea-Dweller (Fall/Winter) and the Omega SeaMaster (Spring/Summer)

I'm just curious why you tie the watch to the season?
I too have a Sea Dweller and I have a couple of Speedmasters, hope to add a Seamaster Chronograph next. I wear whichever I am in the mood for. Never occured to me to tie the watch to the season.

Here is my oldest Speedy after a crystal and bracelet change:

markII_gerber.jpg

(the bracelet is non-Omega but it is safer than the original vintage bracelet)

Most of the time no watch, I work on high voltage equipment so the less metal around the less chance of a bad day. (boom)

When I am SCUBA diving I wear my Citizen Pro-master dive watch. When I am thinking about diving my Rolex Submariner it is in black like my NSX.

Briank said:
Most of the time no watch, I work on high voltage equipment so the less metal around the less chance of a bad day. (boom)

When I am SCUBA diving I wear my Citizen Pro-master dive watch. When I am thinking about diving my Rolex Submariner it is in black like my NSX.
When you SCUBA dive, you wear the Citizen. When you are THINKING about diving, you wear the Rolex. Is that Rolex that special that you have to wear it while fantasizing underwater?
Steve

Back