• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is your watch of choice?

Good to see all the Breitling fans! I'm one too... nice watches, great quality, look awesome, and while they're high end, they don't say Rolex, so most people don't think much when you wear them -- only people who appreciate watches. Just like sports cars, I don't drive them for status or to look cool -- I drive 'em hard because I love the performance. Same with a watch -- not trying to show off, etc.

After owning several Breitlings, I have to say the Aerospace is my favorite by far. I know, it's quartz and lower end... but it's Ti and thin and is a cool combination of analog and digital and I just find myself wearing it the most, by far.

I suppose if I had stupid money I'd have a Lange & Sohne Datograph or Grande Complication. In the meantime, Breitling Aerospace for me.

Z18 said:
Good to see all the Breitling fans! I'm one too... nice watches, great quality, look awesome, and while they're high end, they don't say Rolex, so most people don't think much when you wear them -- only people who appreciate watches. Just like sports cars, I don't drive them for status or to look cool -- I drive 'em hard because I love the performance. Same with a watch -- not trying to show off, etc.

After owning several Breitlings, I have to say the Aerospace is my favorite by far. I know, it's quartz and lower end... but it's Ti and thin and is a cool combination of analog and digital and I just find myself wearing it the most, by far.

I suppose if I had stupid money I'd have a Lange & Sohne Datograph or Grande Complication. In the meantime, Breitling Aerospace for me.

Excellent points! Nice watch selections.
Grande Complication, really "stupid money". I would be right with you on that choice.

hey Z18..my navitimer is just like your aerospace before they changed the name to aerospace..titanium analog/digital..sweet!

had a Breitling chronograph black w/ 18k accents but had to sell it due to divorce! Arrrggghhhh!!!!

love those watches! nothing but sheer perfection.

I find the Breitling to be fine watches, but sometime they are a little too busy with all those small digits/writings on the face. Am I alone on this?

cosmo04.jpg

A142B03NP.jpg

gheba_nsx said:
I find the Breitling to be fine watches, but sometime they are a little too busy with all those small digits/writings on the face. Am I alone on this?

No, not alone: far too busy on some models - mostly the ones that Breitling is famous for! Give me a Speedmaster Professional or Seamaster any day! Real men wear Omegas!
PS: the one and only time that I handled a new Breitling in the shop the movement was loose in the case - turned me off completely!

lemansnsx, yes Omega are fine. The only thing I do not like about them is Pierce Brosnan using them as 007 watch.

I really liked he Submariner instead because it was a TRUE Bond watch (Pierce is ... I do not know... gayish :p ;) ) ... and so I bought one three years ago. I sold it last year because I was getting the "Is it fake?" question way too many times for a 3500$ watch... :(

The Submariner, like early model NSX, can be used for "free" since the depreciation is almost none existent! :D

gheba_nsx said:
lemansnsx, yes Omega are fine. The only thing I do not like about them is Pierce Brosnan using them as 007 watch.

I really liked he Submariner instead because it was a TRUE Bond watch (Pierce is ... I do not know... gayish :p ;) ) ... and so I bought one three years ago. I sold it last year because I was getting the "Is it fake?" question way too many times for a 3500$ watch... :(

The Submariner, like early model NSX, can be used for "free" since the depreciation is almost none existent! :D

1. Pierce Brosnan is a pooftah.
2. My liking Omega pre-dates poof-boy's involvement by over 20 years.
3. In 20+ years of wearing my Rolex Sea Dweller I have never ever been asked if it is fake, nor have I overheard any comments to that effect.
4. Did I mention that Brosnan is a poof? What do you expect from an actor who had his first starring role in a series where a woman wore the pants?
5. You are dead on about the appreciation. A Rolex Sea Dweller retailed for $995 in the year that I bought mine. Retail today is, I think, $4300.

>3. In 20+ years of wearing my Rolex Sea Dweller I have never
>ever been asked if it is fake, nor have I overheard any
>comments to that effect.

Maybe it has to do with me being only 25 at that time and the fact that most rolexes you see around are fakes (lately there has been an invasion of fakes coming from China to Switzerland/Italy/Germany).

Maybe it has to do with me being only 25 at that time and the fact that most rolexes you see around are fakes (lately there has been an invasion of fakes coming from China to Switzerland/Italy/Germany).

I was 22 when I got mine.:)
Probably has most to do with the fact that fakes are so prevalent today and so well done. Twenty years ago the only fake Rolex that you saw regularly were the 2-tone datejust.
I've been watching some Ebay auctions for Omega Seamaster chronographs. There are some really really good fakes on there!:eek:

I would never buy a >500$ watch on ebay! Never! The fakes are so well done that even an authorized watch shop has problem recognizing them...

A friend was about to buy from an unknown seller a IWC Portughese for 5000$ and the jeweler that examined it said it was true. That model is normally sold for 10000$.

It turned out to be an Italian hi-end replica (retailing at 1000$ and using many real IWC parts). Good thing that he could rollback the credit card payment...

Beware on-line buyers, many people think to have the real thing and they then find out the truth only after the first service at a authorized center. In Switzerland this is already a big issue since here 95% of the nice luxury watches are produced...

gheba_nsx said:
I would never buy a >500$ watch on ebay! Never! The fakes are so well done that even an authorized watch shop has problem recognizing them...

Beware on-line buyers, many people think to have the real thing and they then find out the truth only after the first service at a authorized center. In Switzerland this is already a big issue since here 95% of the nice luxury watches are produced...

Hi

This thread have made me realise that I need a nice watch..arg :)

Are the Tag Heuer's any cheaper in Switzerland than in the rest of Europe then?

I have not checked prices on current models here in Norway, but I am afraid that I will have to :)

Regards

Re: why the seasonal distinction???

lemansnsx said:
I'm just curious why you tie the watch to the season?
I too have a Sea Dweller and I have a couple of Speedmasters, hope to add a Seamaster Chronograph next. I wear whichever I am in the mood for. Never occured to me to tie the watch to the season.

Good question... I've never really thought about it much but I guess its because the Sea-Dweller matches my winter wardrobe and the SeaMaster matches my summer attire. :D

Have you seen the new Tag commercial with Tiger Woods? Very well done with a race car theme. Rolex use to use golfers as there lead promotion, times change (pun intended!)

rmani said:
I like Tags personally

Although Tag Heuer make some pretty sharp looking watches I feel compelled to point out that they are not very well regarded in watch enthusiast circles. I think that they are perceived as being more about style than any real quality or lasting value. No flames please, I'm simply posting another point of view to consider.

lemansnsx said:
Although Tag Heuer make some pretty sharp looking watches I feel compelled to point out that they are not very well regarded in watch enthusiast circles. I think that they are perceived as being more about style than any real quality or lasting value. No flames please, I'm simply posting another point of view to consider.

Not Flaming. JAO
I think it depends on what that circle is looking for in a watch.
Being a collector, The tags have always been regarded as durable and a great value for the money. The vintage Heuers are very much sought after.

You get so many different perspectives on what a true Horologist's dream time piece. As Z18 wished for, the Grand Complication, depending on which one, is at the extreme end of wrist watches. Rolex's are regarded as entry level in some circles.
Cartiers are regarded as designer watches. People regard Movados as entry level to junk. (I do not) In fact I have a 60 year old Movado dress watch that is a much better watch than any Rolex made. Movement and case materials.

Anyone with the thought of quartz being more accurate, are pretty much dead on. Many watch collectors look to the vintage pieces or Old companies such as Vacheron, Audemar, LeCoultre,
IWC, Universal, Patek, I could go on. The vintage watches have stood the test of time. (Pun intended) They for the most part were not mass produced. They were made by watchmakers, installing intricate movements, etchings, metal weaves, ect. ect.

Myself it can be a $5 piece or a $1million+ piece, if it is unique I can get into it. If I were looking for a watch to buy in the 1k-10k price range I would find a very nice vintage piece and wear it knowing that it is holding it's value.
The movements are the important parts of the watch. That is what I would concentrate on.

Nicest watch I have ever owned was bought at a flea market.
I bought a bag of old watches. In that bag was 2 ladies Ebels, 1 Jaeger Lecoultre, 1 IWC, and some other no names.
One of the no names, turned out to have a $40k movement in it.
The whole bag contained about $80k in watches. (Anyone that really knows me, knows I am not lying) I bought the bag of watches for $2. Not really knowing what was in the bag. I bought it for parts.

Sorry to go all over the place, just crazy about watches.
Breitlings are my absolute favorite for all around use. You can beat the heck out of them and they just keep going. Just like the old Hamiltons.

Just like anything else, it is a matter of what you are getting the watch for. I never buy mine to tell time. I buy them for the features, uniqueness, and simply because it is the only jewelry that I will wear. The only other Jewelry that I wear is my simple gold wedding band. (Sometimes)

I find the Breitling to be fine watches, but sometime they are a little too busy with all those small digits/writings on the face.

While they may appear "busy" to you, they are functional in the hands of a pilot. Yes, those little lines and numbers are there for a reason. The design you are referring to is designed for use by pilots for navigational purposes; not simply to be an expensive adornment by clueless consumers with far more money than functional intelligence or knowledge. (this is not directed at anyone in particular)

brickdds, I was the one saying that they look busy. And it seems you agree. :)

Exactely my point, not needing all that stuff on the face I prefer to buy something that better suit my needs (visually and functionally).

But I do not agree with your "clueless consumer"... maybe they do not need the functions this watch offers but they like it for sure from a visual point of view or they would not have bought it.

And another thing: pilots and navigators have today usually better tools to achieve their job than the Breitling.

This is my watch of choice... Calvin Klein

This is my watch of choice... Calvin Klein! I bought this watch back in 1998, and it was the most expensive item that I've ever purchased! I was 19 years old. I can't believe now that I own a NSX! :D

Attachments

• calvinkleinwatch.jpg
    calvinkleinwatch.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 656
Breitling, IWC, and Rolex

Rolex Air King (no date) for semi dressy
IWC (not sure of model) for dressy
Breitling Aerospace full titanium with professional band for everyday...(SOOO LIGHT! and clean looking ;)

Im a big fan of Breitling... Mine has not had any troubles being bashed around (not on purpose) for 4 years now at college I feel alone without it on my wrist I just need a few more is all;)

attachment.php

OK I bought this watch...

I have this watch that cost a lot, for me (relative on this thread, tho) and is solid gold (I hope) or solid lead. It is quite heavy for a thin watch (not thick like Rolex). The only name on it is "Geneve" and "Swiss Made." Sorry no picture. What does this mean? Is Geneve like saying "generic Swiss?" It is about 5-7 yrs old and is quartz. I bought it at a large store in the Atlanta jewelry mart. At the same time we bought my wife a gold watch at the mart, but from a different store. It is ringed with diamonds, but also says nothing but Geneve and Swiss Made. Any thoughts???

Bill

Back