• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

02+ Side Skirts vs. Stacy's Skirts? Please help me choose!

You want to consider that if Stacy's is made out of fiberglass, it will get rock chips like crazy compared to OEM. Ask me how I know.:cool:

OEM front with OEM lip? You can probably pull it off with Stacys easier since it's a black car and hide lines better. If it was any other color, the front lip would at need to be color matched at a minimum to match up with sideskirt. Although you're looking for a clean look, not a lower, bulging, extra vented, more agressive look. Clean = no rock chips = doesn't scream aftermarket = perfect fit.

Here's a pic of one showing how much lower the Stacys' is compared to the OEM lip height (even though its not a OEM bumper). Notice the lower door gap compared to the gap between the door and rear quarter. If thats the look you want, go for it!

The OEM lower door caps peeling away on the ends when it's hot can be solved by screwing them down from inside the door or glue.

Oooor you can do this: my opinion of "clean look"
Untitled-1_copy3.jpg

Last edited:
You want to consider that if Stacy's is made out of fiberglass, it will get rock chips like crazy compared to OEM. Ask me how I know.:cool:

OEM front with OEM lip? You can probably pull it off with Stacys easier since it's a black car and hide lines better. If it was any other color, the front lip would at need to be color matched at a minimum to match up with sideskirt. Although you're looking for a clean look, not a lower, bulging, extra vented, more agressive look. Clean = no rock chips = doesn't scream aftermarket = perfect fit.

Here's a pic of one showing how much lower the Stacys' is compared to the OEM lip height (even though its not a OEM bumper). Notice the lower door gap compared to the gap between the door and rear quarter. If thats the look you want, go for it!

The OEM lower door caps peeling away on the ends when it's hot can be solved by screwing them down from inside the door or glue.

Untitled-1_copy3.jpg
wow AdvansCPAP.com, thank u for ur help. 02 it is. that silver X looks good! very flush and clean. yeah, that is the look i'm going for. unless i'm gonna go all out and get the complete car done like the other cars with stacys, i should def go for clean look.

synth, i'm gonna get these things done at Downforce. i heard they go good work.

for me... and ignoring the functional attributes of the decision (too low i'll scrape, air vent to cool, etc...) i have my $0.02 from a design perspective. in looking at your car two things stand out quickly...You have very edgy wheels and you have a Black car.

With that said, I would go with the Stacy's. If you had say a white car and had the 02 full conversion then i'd go with the 02 sides just to keep everything smooth, round, and flowing. A lot standouts with a lighter color and for me it's too much most of the time. I don't like cars that look like a transformer. You have the popups (like me :)) and have black and have super edgy wheels also so you want more angles and design breaks which the vents in the stacy's provide for you yet still be at a good balance. The black paint also hides a lot of edginess so the balance should work out.

ok.. i don't know if i'm making any sense here.

for me... and ignoring the functional attributes of the decision (too low i'll scrape, air vent to cool, etc...) i have my $0.02 from a design perspective. in looking at your car two things stand out quickly...You have very edgy wheels and you have a Black car.

With that said, I would go with the Stacy's. If you had say a white car and had the 02 full conversion then i'd go with the 02 sides just to keep everything smooth, round, and flowing. A lot standouts with a lighter color and for me it's too much most of the time. I don't like cars that look like a transformer. You have the popups (like me :)) and have black and have super edgy wheels also so you want more angles and design breaks which the vents in the stacy's provide for you yet still be at a good balance. The black paint also hides a lot of edginess so the balance should work out.

long time ryu. and yes, u are absolutely making sense. fml... damn this indecisiveness. but after all, it is an NSX. haha. i'm going in on friday just for consultation and to see how much everything will cost. man, u made some good points... thanks for ur opinion. damn this thread is helpful, yet making me really indecisive. haha

ryu, but don't you think if i just get stacys and rear valence, it'll look belly heavy? since i want to really really keep my front original?

ryu, but don't you think if i just get stacys and rear valence, it'll look belly heavy? since i want to really really keep my front original?

justdoit.jpg

I love the Stacy's SS with my oem nose. I don't think it affects the flow of the lines at all. I do agree though that the door inserts don't fit like oem.

Here's a professional pic...scroll down for my NSX

http://andrewmanley.info/

Jeff

your car looks sweet!!! i shoulda made it more clear. it's the stacy's signature from downforce that i was looking at. and it's only at the direct sideview shot of the car that makes the middle part look a bit lower than the rest

IMHO the Stacys are close enough to stock and the black will hide enough so I agree with everyone on here in that the front should still flow decently. It's not like you wanted Marga Hills sides w/ the stock front or something.

but you know how it is... different strokes for different folks!

so sorry for the OT but i want to see mooooar of the middle car!!! wow.. i like.
lol thats the pic that sorta sold me on the 02. the silver one as well. haha thanks again for your input ryu. hope to see u soon at a meet.

I have factory OEM sideskirts..but I used the Downforce door pieces and haven't had a problem so far.. *knocks on wood* :wink:

side4.jpg

I like the idea of the Stacy's Side skirts. What I don't like is the "hump" that is created where the shirt meets the bottom part of the intake scoop on the NSX. The line is disrupted in my opinion, and can clearly been seen in this picture. (follow the line of the inside of the wheel well).

cooley1.jpg

MikeC_587 fixed that problem by having MVDesigns rework the sideskirt to make it more flush. I prefer this look a lot better. (note that the "hump" has disappeared)
mc.jpg

That pic of the white car you posted has a black front lip which makes the skirts look much lower than the front......I believe they are the same height!

And as far as rock chips.....where are you getting rock ships on the fiberglass ones that you won't on the factory ones?
Easily solved with clear bra..maybe?

Stacy

Last edited:
done researching and haggling costs. i'm finally set on the 02+ side skirts and rear valence sport, all from Downforce. still going to leave the front all oem since i love the look. just the sides and rear will get an "updated" look. i think this looks the cleanest without looking like i went overboard with the mods. but, as most of you know, will not be the final final mod. ha. when i get bored of the look, the very next thing i'll get are the R wing and a CF nsx-r hood. i'l getting a great deal on the side skirts, so i can always get the GT-One or Stacys later on if i decide to get a front facelift. if things go well, i'll be dropping the car off this weekend or next...

thank you all for your inputs! much obliged! and is it just me or do u all get compliments about your cars everytime you guys drive it out? haha. mostly guys tho.. =P girls just say, "oh, it's an acura right?" cute..."

I went with the Stacy's side skirts and door cap and Seibon rear valence from Mark Johnson at Dali. FYI, the passenger doorcap may have come from a bad mold because the body shop had to use more doublestick tape at the end because it wasn't flush with the door.

mail

mail

That pic of the white car you posted has a black front lip which makes the skirts look much lower than the front......I believe they are the same height!

And as far as rock chips.....where are you getting rock ships on the fiberglass ones that you won't on the factory ones?
Easily solved with clear bra..maybe?

Stacy

Nice of you to chime in here, you don't even have an NSX , what would you know about them???

Back