• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

17/17 and 17/18 Tire Choices - not much left.

I've been looking at these tires. @stuntman is testing them now. They weren't available yet when I needed tires a few weeks ago and the RT600 is just so cheap in comparison. While I agree with @Honcho that they might rub.. the extra stretch you'll put on the fronts from the 8.5" should be worth a try IMO. Worse case you remove the fender liner but I really don't think you'll have to. Depends how low you are and your camber settings. I would run these Contis in your size in a heartbeat but hard to justify the cost in my climate vs the Falkens. Try them and let us know!

Thanks Regan- it's been a long time, but I seem to recall members trying the 225s years ago and there were complaints of rubbing/noise on the fender liners near full-lock. I might be wrong and thinking instead of the 235s many track guys were running.

well, given the Tire Rack specs of the tire and not necessarily the manufactures, I was thinking these would work nicely on a 8.0/10.0 width wheel respectively without much "massaging". A review by a prime member would be great (which is what I was curious about), If I end up going this route I'll chime in for sure. :smile:

Last edited:
Before you pull the trigger, you might want to consider going with a 205/45/17 on the fronts. It's about 2% smaller than the OEM 215/40, but it might work. This opens you up to a lot of potential options, including the P Zero and Pilot Super Sport.

Also, I know it sounds crazy, but you may want to look at the General AS-05 all seasons. Several Colorado members run these year-round due to our extremely variable weather. They report great success. This tire (an all season!) pulls more lateral G's than the original Yokohama and Bridgestone NSX summer tires- a testament to how far tire technology has come in the last 30 years.

Thanks for the suggestion, this is the kind of help I am looking for! :) It's funny you mention that size, I was already plugging numbers into an online tire size calculator and had figured that I'd have to downsize to 205/45r17 or 205/40r17. Not only does the 205/45r17 size open me up to the Pilot Super Sport (which I have personal experience with on my CTS-V wagon in the recent past, it's amazing on both dry and wet), but also to the Conti ExtremeContact Sport (currently on the V wagon, I like them, they are about 90% of the PSS, for several hundred USD less).

I assume I can still pair the 205/45r17 fronts with 255/35r18 rears.

Thanks Regan- it's been a long time, but I seem to recall members trying the 225s years ago and there were complaints of rubbing/noise on the fender liners near full-lock. I might be wrong and thinking instead of the 235s many track guys were running.
Who cares if it's full lock?

It also depends on the wheel width and offset.

...and keep in mind that the nominal value on a tire is MEANINGLESS. Read:

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/

FYI

Size - Tire - Section Width - Tread Width - Outer Diameter

205/40-17 - Firestone Indy500 - 8.4" - 7.3" - 23.5"
215/40/17 - Yokohama A052 - 8.8" - 7.9" - 23.7"
225/40-17 - Conti FORCE - 9.3" - 7.5" - 24.1"
235/40-17 - Dunlop ZIII - 8.9" - 8.4" - 24.5"

So the Conti FORCE tire has the narrowest treadwidth of the above 215 and 235. It also has the widest section width, which is usually not the point where a tire rubs. I would think they're worth a try.

co_extremecontact_force_full.jpg

Last edited:
Weird. I guess that means the shoulders are super round?
The sidewalls are, not the shoulder (which typically refers to the tread profile and the edge of the tread itself). These tires have a fairly square profile, but not super square/blocky like an A052 or BFG rival or A7.

I thought that was weird too. I can't believe width sizing in 2021 is still a bit like the wild wild west
Width sizing has always been like that. You just now know about it because you're more educated ;)

Thanks for the assist during my tire overanalysis, folks. I ended up downsizing to 205/40r17 (not 205/45r17) for the fronts and buying a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, which are well-spoken for by other Prime members. With my slightly lowered setup, 205/45 would probably have rubbed, and 205/40 was almost identical in specs to stock 16's outside of less sidewall.

I almost went for the Pilot Sport AS4 or General Gmax05s, but since I put my car away before winter weather really begins, I wasn't ready to try all-seasons yet. We'll see in another 2-3 years when it's time to replace again.

Hopefully this helps you somewhat.

This is a Falken RT660 on 235/40-17 on a 17x9 front wheel. Keep in mind the RT660 runs wide. It's probably like an in-between size up. So in my experience a RT660 235 will be like a 235.5 on a standard tire. So just under a 245 in a standard tire. I hope that makes sense. Also note, and to confuse, I have slightly 5-10mm wider front fenders than stock. This tire will be pretty flat on a 8.5" IMO. For stock tire fitment purposes you'll want a 215 for a safe bet. Your average 215 tire on a 8.5 wheel will be a bit stretched but not too much.

This is a 265/35-18 RT660 on a 10" wheel. Again, this tire already runs wide and there's still a slight bit of stretch on a 10" wheel. A normal 245 tire on a 10.5" tire will be ridiculously stretched. I would have bought a 275 rear but no inventory for that size at the time.

These are both 215/40-17 "standard" width tires (Maxxis VR-1). The CE28 on the left (grey wheel) is a 8". The SE37 on the right (bronze wheel) is a 8.5". You can sort of make out the added stretch on the right side with the 0.5" wider wheel. It also shrinks down the height profile a tiny bit. Good luck!

Thanks RYU

I was going to get a set of Z3 to replace my worn out Z1, but America’s/discount tire wouldn’t install them because the front load rating wasn’t good enough for our car!? It’s the same 83W as my Z1 but they said it needs to be 87.

Oh and they offered two alternatives, AD08 or a Nexen nfera-su1. Sizes 215/40R17 and 265/35R18

Thinking about getting the Direzza ZIIIs, but this comment caught my attention. I just went out to my 03 to check inside the driver door jamb and the front calls for an 83 load rating, so it appears they will work on 02-05 cars with stock wheels. I can't say for other years/wheel sizes.

PS 5 coming soon

I have AD08Rs on my car that need replacing, and the only comparable option that is affordable and currently in stock at Tire Rack is the RT660. My car is strictly street driven on the backroads, so I was able to get over 10k miles out of my current set.

I'm trying to figure out how the RT660s compare to the AD08Rs in terms of widths. My current set up is 215/40/17 (17x7.5) and 255/35/18 (18x9), but based on RYU's feedback the RT660s run wide - should I consider downsizing to 205/40/17 up front?

Also, has anyone considered buying a second set to keep for later? Options in the sizes I need are getting so thin, I'm worried there won't be any options at all when I will need tires again 5-6 years down the road.

I have AD08Rs on my car that need replacing, and the only comparable option that is affordable and currently in stock at Tire Rack is the RT660. My car is strictly street driven on the backroads, so I was able to get over 10k miles out of my current set.

I'm trying to figure out how the RT660s compare to the AD08Rs in terms of widths. My current set up is 215/40/17 (17x7.5) and 255/35/18 (18x9), but based on RYU's feedback the RT660s run wide - should I consider downsizing to 205/40/17 up front?

Also, has anyone considered buying a second set to keep for later? Options in the sizes I need are getting so thin, I'm worried there won't be any options at all when I will need tires again 5-6 years down the road.
AD08Rs are a good all around summer tire. Probably less finicky in the cold than the RT660s. The RT660s are pretty much a sticky track day tire IMO but capable of street driving if you approach with care. For a street car i'd much rather do the Falken 615K which run narrow so you can go up to 265's in your rears. I'd also try the Maxxis VR1 for street. It's what I run on most days.

EDIT: I just checked and Maxxis has 215/40/17, 255/35/18 & 265/35/18 available https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/victra-vr-1/

I have RT660s on a 17x7.5 wheel, and they're perfect IMO. Here's a quick pic. There are more pics in this post, this post, and this post on my build thread FWIW

cef605653eb1533fcd4a900cc9962717.jpg

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses!

AD08Rs are a good all around summer tire. Probably less finicky in the cold than the RT660s. The RT660s are pretty much a sticky track day tire IMO but capable of street driving if you approach with care. For a street car i'd much rather do the Falken 615K which run narrow so you can go up to 265's in your rears. I'd also try the Maxxis VR1 for street. It's what I run on most days.

EDIT: I just checked and Maxxis has 215/40/17, 255/35/18 & 265/35/18 available https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/victra-vr-1/

I've never heard of Maxxis, but why would you recommend the 615Ks over the 660s for a street car? All 3 tires have 200 UTQG ratings so not sure what would make the biggest difference other than outright grip on the street.

For further reference, my car is never driven in cold or wet weather. 90-95% of my driving is done on smooth backroads and only when it's warm out...

I have RT660s on a 17x7.5 wheel, and they're perfect IMO. Here's a quick pic. There are more pics in this post, this post, and this post on my build thread FWIW

Thanks for the photo references!

How do the 660s work on the street? I've only seen feedback from people who track and/or autox...

I really like them, but the caveat is that i have really no experience with anything else on the car. My only reference was a set of old hard direzzas that the 660s are far and away better than. That is sort of an apples to oranges deal though, cause the 660s are new. I have also not yet had the car at the track, but that was part of the plan in choosing these tires.

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses!
All 3 tires have 200 UTQG ratings so not sure what would make the biggest difference other than outright grip on the street.

For further reference, my car is never driven in cold or wet weather. 90-95% of my driving is done on smooth backroads and only when it's warm out...

The treadwear rating is kind of meaningless for comparision because the manufactures give their tires the treadwear rating. There is no standardization. When the autocross street class set 200 treadwear as the limit, 140 treadwear tires magically became 200 treadwear overnight.
http://automotivethinker.com/tires/fixing-the-200-treadwear-rule/

For your use case (no cold or wet driving) it sounds like you can run the most extreme tire you want.

Last edited:
Treadwear ratings have been overly abused to a point it really no longer means anything.. maybe it never really did.

I like a summer tire to be progressive and "let's go" predictably. My RT660s are so grippy that when they do let go (on the street) it's almost at the point of no return... You're pulling so much Gs before they give. It's more fun as a track tire for my use case... Or when I know I'm driving canyons with supercars I want to embarrass!

Appreciate the feedback from everyone!

I decided to move forward with the RT660s which were shipped today. I'm sure I'll never come close to using all of the available grip (in 7+ years of ownership, I've only seen the TC light come on once), but it'll be nice to know I won't have to worry about running out. Just hope the grit/gravel that gets kicked up from the tires doesn't turn my side skirts/fenders into swiss cheese...

The front of my side skirts are lacy swiss....

Back