• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3.6L ScienceofSpeed Engine (NA Stroker)

Glad you're happy and have kept at it despite the major setback, congrats.

So this is without ITBs? That is majorly impressive to get that power, do you think you will go with ITBs down the road, and what power do you think you will obtain then? :biggrin:

The "Bitch" is a high G corner. No where at Hallett do you pull more or do you change in more elevation.

FWIW, the engine busted from a spun con rod bearing which was attributed to oil starvation. The NSXs oil starvation issue is fairly well known among the engine builders I've spoken to. I don't really feel the need to justify any further or get into a potential argument.

Thanks for the well wishing though.

Granny on a scooter creates more G's than Ponyboy so it couldnt' have been oil starvation! :tongue:
But with this new motor, even Ponyboy can go fast! :D (This is a congrats in bustachop language)

Glad you're happy and have kept at it despite the major setback, congrats.

So this is without ITBs? That is majorly impressive to get that power, do you think you will go with ITBs down the road, and what power do you think you will obtain then? :biggrin:

Thanks - yep, w/o ITBs and it's highly likely that ITBs are the next step. But, really, for now, I just want to drive my car again. So ITBs maybe late this year or early next. It's just speculation about expected power but my best guess is maybe another 40-50 peak.

ak said:
Granny on a scooter creates more G's than Ponyboy so it couldnt' have been oil starvation!
But with this new motor, even Ponyboy can go fast! (This is a congrats in bustachop language)

Thanks ak. Your unwavering support is like a fresh breeze off a pile of manure. You sell your rice bucket yet? Pretty sure Ojas has a dreamsportz wing he'd sell ya.

Last edited:
The "Bitch" is a high G corner. No where at Hallett do you pull more or do you change in more elevation.

FWIW, the engine busted from a spun con rod bearing which was attributed to oil starvation. The NSXs oil starvation issue is fairly well known among the engine builders I've spoken to. I don't really feel the need to justify any further or get into a potential argument.

What was the final price of the build? Or horsepower per dollar spent?

I have the official "potential argument" Thread :biggrin:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=794083#post794083

Well, I got the car back about two weeks ago but have been out of town on business for most of that time. I've only driven it about 200 miles but I have to say...

WHAT A FRIGGIN' BLAST!

I'm amazed at the engine's responsiveness and bottom end torque. First through third gears pull like crazy, provided I can maintain traction, and the engine sound even turns the V8 guys around.

One of my best buddies is about 6'2" and 250lb, big stocky black dude, barely fits in the passenger Recaro. Took him for a ride around the block. Buried it in 2nd and he actually yelped and covered his face....hahaha.

Here are some pics:

Homecoming1.jpg

^ Being unloaded. I went with open b/c of the relatively short distance and comfort level with the broker I used, Auto Driveway. My car didn't leave the trailer, came straight home, and a day early to boot. We picked a drop-off location at a school (he would have had trouble fitting into our subdivision) and my drive home consisted of a short run through 1st thru 2nd...all I could do was laugh. I was literally giddy.

Homecoming4.jpg

^ Quick wash after church. After being w/o the car for quite some time, I thought it'd be a good idea to become reacquainted and see how many dents ScienceofSpeed put into it. ;) As expected, there were none and the car came back in better shape than when they received it.

Homecoming5.jpg

^ The family. We're all happy to have the NSX back and running stronger than ever. IMHO, this is what the NSX should have evolved into.

Vids and more pics to come...:biggrin:

Last edited:
Wow, you're so lucky! More pics! We need videos!

Man it's about time Shawn your finally driving the car again....Have fun !!

Teaser video here. Enjoy!

I have some more general vids that I took today but realize that I don't have the right cable to DL from my vid camera. Which requires a trip to Best Buy...yay.

Anything specific you guys want me to record?

Teaser video here. Enjoy!

I have some more general vids that I took today but realize that I don't have the right cable to DL from my vid camera. Which requires a trip to Best Buy...yay.

Anything specific you guys want me to record?

WOW Dude it sounds amazing! What other mods do you have other than the 3.6L?

I am glad to hear you finally have her back. Enjoy it! The dyno graph looks strong. I can't imagine a NA NSX with the power of the CTSC (non autorotor). It must be a blast.

WOW Dude it sounds amazing! What other mods do you have other than the 3.6L?

IIRC, the build sheet is linked on the first page. For exhaust though, the car has Comptech headers and straight pipes followed by a Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust. It certainly sounds different than in 3.0 form.

I am glad to hear you finally have her back. Enjoy it! The dyno graph looks strong. I can't imagine a NA NSX with the power of the CTSC (non autorotor). It must be a blast.

It is! The autorotors have me on power but it looks like the 3.6L has them on torque.

subscribing for more updates!! do you have any exterior videos? such as you driving by?

I can certainly do that this week. ;) I did a vid of the exhaust note up close but the vid cam mic couldn't really get the sound down. I guess I'd have to pick up an external microphone.

Last edited:
How about a vid of you rowing through gears 1-3, shifting at redline each time, followed by sounds of a grown man giggling like a schoolgirl?

Pony,,,,,,,Man I LOVE THAT SOUND :biggrin:

Something about the strokers lope and TQ ANYTIME.

YOUR THE MAN

How about a vid of you rowing through gears 1-3, shifting at redline each time, followed by sounds of a grown man giggling like a schoolgirl?

So you're saying you want me to take vid of you driving? ;) Seriously, I've tried uploading some vid and MS Moviemaker isn't the best video editing software. Youtube says my vids are too large and I stopped trying after that.

Pony,,,,,,,Man I LOVE THAT SOUND :biggrin:

Something about the strokers lope and TQ ANYTIME.

YOUR THE MAN

Jeff!! Dude, it sounds better in person. $10 says your stroker will sound as good. When are you getting that thing done?

Some pics:

This...
nsx1021.jpg

Plus this...
2006_0715Image0117.jpg

And this...
under_400.jpg

= 11 quarts of oil capacity. Oil cooling and starvation shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Props to CL65 Captain for the vimeo recommendation. Vid of startup, idle, and reving:

<object width="400" height="300"> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /> <param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2117911&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /> <embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2117911&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/2117911?pg=embed&sec=2117911">3.6L NSX - startup, idle, and reving</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user890669?pg=embed&sec=2117911">Ponyboy F1</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com?pg=embed&sec=2117911">Vimeo</a>.

I'll get more uploaded once I can figure out how to get Windows Moviemaker to import sound correctly.

So you're saying you want me to take vid of you driving? ;)

I won't deny it. That's probably exactly how I'd sound if I were to drive it. :smile:

Unfortunately, vimeo can't be embeded in the Prime BBS software. I have tried everything to get it to work but it won't so you have to just post a link to the page. Jim

Props to CL65 Captain for the vimeo recommendation. Vid of startup, idle, and reving:

<EMBED src=http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2117911&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1 width=400 height=300 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>
3.6L NSX - startup, idle, and reving from Ponyboy F1 on Vimeo.

I'll get more uploaded once I can figure out how to get Windows Moviemaker to import sound correctly.

i need a new pair of underwear

I'm very impressed. Great sound, although I would probably grow tired of that much noise on a long drive and would probably keep the cats, but that's just me. You can practically feel the torque in the in-car vid. Nice job on the track too: short shifting, quiet hands, decent line. What track is that?

Back