• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3.6L ScienceofSpeed Engine (NA Stroker)

Sure...here's a pic from the other day:

ITB_install2.jpg

I won't be picking the car up for another month or so...so I won't be able to give any impressions until then. Maybe I can get Chris to chime in with his impressions once the car is dyno'd and tuned.

Looks sweet Shawn...can't wait to see the results.

update: dyno'd yesterday...

nsx-dyno.JPG

close up of itbs and airbox:

nsx-itb.JPG

Final result on 91 octane, 369rwhp and 296rwftlbs. Estatic with the outcome - especially with the peak torque number. Haven't seen the dyno graph yet though. Chris says that throttle response is incredible.

NA sweetness...can you give us an idea of the SOS airfilter solution.I see an "inlet" on the driver side of the box ,so how is the air getting from outside the car to the engine?

Sure...keeping it as stock appearing as possible was very important to me. So Chris came up with a solution that incorporates the carbon fiber airbox with a big inlet tube that feeds from the stock "airbox/filter." That, in turn, feeds from the stock location: the air vent on the drivers side.

Hope that makes sense.

Sure...keeping it as stock appearing as possible was very important to me. So Chris came up with a solution that incorporates the carbon fiber airbox with a big inlet tube that feeds from the stock "airbox/filter." That, in turn, feeds from the stock location: the air vent on the drivers side.

Hope that makes sense.

Makes sense..I'm sure you are sad, not to have to use the "snorkel":wink: It will be interesting to hear this setup when its all buttoned up.Best of luck.

update: dyno'd yesterday...

nsx-dyno.JPG

close up of itbs and airbox:

nsx-itb.JPG

Final result on 91 octane, 369rwhp and 296rwftlbs. Estatic with the outcome - especially with the peak torque number. Haven't seen the dyno graph yet though. Chris says that throttle response is incredible.

Curious.

Since ur in CA, can u talk about if and how u would smog test with this new format?

Will it pass the sniffer?

Makes sense..I'm sure you are sad, not to have to use the "snorkel":wink: It will be interesting to hear this setup when its all buttoned up.Best of luck.

Yes, indeed. Very sad that I can't use the shark fin snorkel. Great minds think alike. ;)

That cool very nice man. The all motor power must be fun to drive.

Rahim

Haven't driven yet but definitely look forward to it. It was fun to drive beforehand but I'm sure the ITBs will make it even more so.

Can't wait for the dyno sheets! This is exciting.

btw.. what clutch are you running? how's the traction (even with your pre-ITB setup) on street, on track?

Running an Exedy twin disc. Traction? Well, even w/o the ITBs I could peel out in third gear. Not that I did that much, but I could whenever I wanted. :)

Curious.

Since ur in CA, can u talk about if and how u would smog test with this new format?

Will it pass the sniffer?

The car resides in Oklahoma and won't see CA streets unless it's on a trailer or at the track. That said, this obviously won't pass the Cali visual test and it's anyone's guess on if it'll pass the sniffer.

Sorry, I couldn't answer that one conclusively. :shrug:

I would really like to know where SoS's development of the airbox is at. The ITB's are advertised as available on their website but no mention of airbox yet.

I reckon there's a better solution, one that doesn't hide the trumpets. It would require development of an engine cover that seals at the edges so the under-window area becomes a huge transparent sealed airbox, fed from underneath with filtered air (filter would be in stock position). True sealing the edges is a bit of a challenge, but it would be well worth it IMO. All the benefits of the ITB's plus the eye candy of the trumpets sitting proud on top of the engine.

Why not try to use the old school Weber low profile air horn filters?

16401_99217_250.jpg

I think I need a bigger pic.

Evidently, these have a negative effect on the stack venturi. It would be nice to see some dyno sheets comparing w/ or w/o these pod filters.

I think i'll happy trade a little bit of HP/TQ for added safety on a built $10-15k motor.

5267566223_f15aa20f53.jpg

16401_99217_250.jpg

16401_99217_250.jpg

About a decade ago I was at a Dyno-day event and some guy had similar ITB on his '65 Mustang.

Just for shits and giggles he pulled them off and dyno'd the Mustang and saw an increase of 30RWHP~.

it might pass the sniffer if tuned and setup properly.

what's ur compression ratios?

I think most any conservative tune tuned especially to pass a sniffer could have a good chance. However, I could very well be wrong.

Compression ratio: 11.2:1

I reckon there's a better solution, one that doesn't hide the trumpets. It would require development of an engine cover that seals at the edges so the under-window area becomes a huge transparent sealed airbox, fed from underneath with filtered air (filter would be in stock position). True sealing the edges is a bit of a challenge, but it would be well worth it IMO. All the benefits of the ITB's plus the eye candy of the trumpets sitting proud on top of the engine.

I'm sure one could fab a clear lexan airbox cover that protrudes through a cutout in the engine cover.

16401_99217_250.jpg

One could use those but the negative effect on flow is outrageous. That said, I know that people do use them.

Last edited:
About a decade ago I was at a Dyno-day event and some guy had similar ITB on his '65 Mustang.

Just for shits and giggles he pulled them off and dyno'd the Mustang and saw an increase of 30RWHP~.

Evidently, these have a negative effect on the stack venturi. It would be nice to see some dyno sheets comparing w/ or w/o these pod filters.

I think i'll happy trade a little bit of HP/TQ for added safety on a built $10-15k motor.

One could use those but the negative effect on flow is outrageous. That said, I know that people do use them.

:eek: Hmm, didn't think about a venturi effect. I can see it how it would be highly negative. Seeing dyno differences between the two would be cool though.

:eek: Hmm, didn't think about a venturi effect. I can see it how it would be highly negative. Seeing dyno differences between the two would be cool though.

I'm curious that once the box is sealed and the main intake pipe/duct is routed to the driver side port, will there be turbulence that could harm the performance.

but, but but....you can make 2x the power with 1/2 the money with FI! :p Now go drive that thing, will ya! :cool:

Congratulations, Shawn! I know you've been waiting a LONG time to get everything ready to go. Now go out and enjoy it!

I'm curious that once the box is sealed and the main intake pipe/duct is routed to the driver side port, will there be turbulence that could harm the performance.

The biggest impediment is inhibiting airflow from the lip on down the intake runner. That said, I think within any ITB airbox/plenum, there's going to be some turbulence. The trick is to minimize it as much as possible w/i the design constraints (see M5, GTR, etc).

but, but but....you can make 2x the power with 1/2 the money with FI! :p Now go drive that thing, will ya! :cool:

See below:

Robert Frost said:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both...I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Congratulations, Shawn! I know you've been waiting a LONG time to get everything ready to go. Now go out and enjoy it!

Thanks Kenneth! I'll be up in Chicago late July, we'll have to get together. Maybe you can sell me your ivory interior. ;)

power isn't everything :wink:

Akio is just busting my chops. He's still pissed he didn't get to attend NSX Fiesta 2010.

Back