• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

30 years of car design

0carphoto.jpg

30 years ago, if you had $100k and wanted a fun car, you bought this! And you dreamed, about how much MORE cool the cars would look by 2010. What the hell happened? 30 years of advanced technology and design and this is what we get? WTF? Face-it! no one spends $100k on a sports car toy ....and can't be disappointed, with the total lack of any cool design progress in the last 30 years. :mad: At best, to be confused with the next gen. IS250 or at worst- the next $20k Hyundai Tiburaon ?
0car_photo_268302_25.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's just a rant, but I think it's unfair to compare a Countach and a Honda.

Because what did a Honda look like 30 years ago (Were Honda's around 30 years ago?).

In fairness, compare it to a Murcielago or even a Gallardo...although it doesn't seem like 30 years, it's still a bigger improvement on what we had then.

What you're comparing is no different than comparing a 1070 Corvette and saying how it doesn't look as cool as a 2007 Corolla. It's completely different.

And although that difference might be more, put it this way then, you're comparing two different companies who's style was different to begin with, you're comparing a mid-engined exotic to a front engined grand tourer?

I understand your point, but you can't use the Honda as a basis for comparing it.

True if you had 100k, you don't have much choices in terms of exotic, but that's due to inflation, but if you have 400k, say the equivalent to having 100k back then, you'd be able to go for a Murcielago.

But i might be being a bit of an ass..but my two cents...

Last edited:
$100,000 doesn't get you too much these days. The Lambo would cost well over $300,000 in today's money. Porsche's were like $30,000 30 years ago. So actually, for $300,000 you could get a bunch of cool looking cars.

For $100,000, you can always get an R8. That's a cool car. Or a fully loaded 911. That's a cool car.

Last edited:
$100,000 doesn't get you too much these days..

Sorry guys.... I was tossing up the $100,000 figure just as a starting point of cars that people don't buy for a "grocery getter". I was trying to imply that if you're going to buy something more than a Lexus IS350 and get into the "pure toy" range.... $100k is a starting point. (plus, I buy your inflation argument and counter with the cost and efficiencies of better production methods by a company like Honda compared to our Italian friends with hair on their knuckles). PS- I'm Italian, so I can make that joke LOL

Back on point.... Did anyone dear to dream, back in the 70's that this IS350 copy would be the ultimate halo car in 2010?

Or, better yet...did anyone in 1991 after seeing the NSX....really think that Honda would follow 15 years later with a design that looks like a basic 1980 Porsche 944.?

Car design over the last 30 years has been.... {fill in the blank}

.... I would say peaked in the 90's or, I'd say the trend with Lexus, Ferrari, Nissan, and Honda (limping in late) is big motor in a understated back-to-the-basics looking car. Why?

Maybe its like NASA (they're trading in their cool space shuttle, to go back to basic rockets that look like the old Apollo program)...its cheaper.

Last edited:
.... I would say peaked in the 90's

I disagree; the 90's designs were some of the best, but certainly not the peak. I think today's designs are just as good as the '90s, if not better.

Just a few examples:
GallardoNero_DPES20.jpg

ferrari-430-scuderia-2008-768208.jpg

2008-audi-s5.jpg

I'll agree with the Gallardo..... they have a silver one at my local Porsche dealer that is calling my name. Or for half the price, a new Cayman looks like fun (never been a P-car guy) but with the death of the NSX, at least its not another car that looks like a square box.

I will miss Honda! But I need some Exotic in my weekend car.... not just a big engine in a box.

0nissan-gt-r-2.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• lambobaby.JPG
    lambobaby.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 92
If you look at it purely from a design standpoint, and not just the price. Don't forget that somewhere between those 30 years. This was also created. So the debate of moving forward, backward, or wandering around aimlessly regarding design is up for grabs.

pontiac_aztek_2001_001.jpg

If you look at it purely from a design standpoint, and not just the price. Don't forget that somewhere between those 30 years. This was also created. So the debate of moving forward, backward, or wandering around aimlessly regarding design is up for grabs.

pontiac_aztek_2001_001.jpg

Lets remember- no matter what the car looks like from the factory, it can always be modified in the aftermarket...

even the Aztek can be improved upon to become acceptable...

normal_Aztek%20Race%20Car%203.JPG

100K 30 years ago means 200+K now .... and yes, there's some good amazing looking cars over 200K right now ...

OScar

There you, a futuristic super car:biggrin:

spinner3.jpg

Lets remember- no matter what the car looks like from the factory, it can always be modified in the aftermarket...

even the Aztek can be improved upon to become acceptable...

normal_Aztek%20Race%20Car%203.JPG

wow that is the best looking ASS-tek that i've ever seen. I always wanted to walk up to the owners of those vehicle and just ask "why?"

0carphoto.jpg

30 years ago, if you had $100k and wanted a fun car, you bought this! And you dreamed, about how much MORE cool the cars would look by 2010. What the hell happened? 30 years of advanced technology and design and this is what we get? WTF? Face-it! no one spends $100k on a sports car toy ....and can't be disappointed, with the total lack of any cool design progress in the last 30 years. :mad: At best, to be confused with the next gen. IS250 or at worst- the next $20k Hyundai Tiburaon ?
0car_photo_268302_25.jpg

Inflation happened, my friend, now you need at least $300,000. hehe

yay... 80's and 90's designs + today's gadgets, interiors and reliability. You'd have some winners!!!

I like a lot of today's designs too though. The 5 series looks sweet. The Lexus IS....

You have no clue how hard you just made me laugh.

I prefer the 1980-90s cars over the futuristic versions that are coming out. You have to understand that the companies are trying to not only compete with each other, but just give what the consumers want.

Yea. When I thought about that idea, I was thinking about how everybody calls the GT-R souless and how the design really sucks and then I thought about how the Borg had that really plain square ship that could out run every other ship in the solar system... even when they did Mach 5 the Borg would just catch up. The Borg were also more advanced and very technical, which was cool, but they lacked any type of soul or feelings.

So I just thought about the comparison and started laughing last night while I was out on a date. But I couldn't tell the girl I was with because then she would know that I am really a geek for thinking about Star Trek while I'm out in Atlanta in a posh lounge eating sushi. So I just waited to post it on here.

View attachment 44288

with that $100k. I would spend a little more for this one

I saw that on Sunset cruising and it was very nice.....looks awesome in white and that was the one I saw. I have also seen the silver one but that one did not look as nice in person as the white one.

nastinupe1- That was funny, I was also a old star trek fan up to the next generation....anything after that sucked.

Wow what a surprise Nsxbat contributes yet another ...rant, bash ,dislike. He's got no use for the old NSX and hates the replacement. Yet he's a fan:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I like the new Honda. I just hope it doesn't get the name "NSX". I'm sure it won't though. I also like GT cars as I would give up my nsx for a Aston DB9 or Ferrari 575/550 or LFA because if I could afford any of those GT cars, I can definitely add another nsx again some day. The new honda is a awesome GT car. I'd Definitely go for that before the GTR.

Call me a traitor if you want, but I call it being realistic.

Last edited:
Back