• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

85 octane rating = regular??

• Thread starter Thread starter ak
  • Start date Start date

ak

Legendary Member
I was in Denver this past weekend and I noticed that they advertise 85 octane gas as regular :mad: :mad: Is this common in all southwest states or just in Colorado? Good thing I was driving a rental Corolla which didn't seem to care :p I'm just curious as I have not seen octane rating lower than 87 in a long long time.

:smile:

ak said:
I was in Denver this past weekend and I noticed that they advertise 85 octane gas as regular :mad: :mad: Is this common in all southwest states or just in Colorado? Good thing I was driving a rental Corolla which didn't seem to care :p I'm just curious as I have not seen octane rating lower than 87 in a long long time.

:smile:
We have 87,89,93,(95 at some locations) at the pumps here in good ole Mississippi. and right now its only $1.85 per gallon :biggrin:

It's standard operating procedure for high altitude, Utah and Wyoming are also on the 85 program, with 91 being premium, as opposed to 92/93 found in many lower altitude areas. I'm no engineer or chemist, but I believe it has to do with the higher altitude effectively lowering an engine's compression ratio. I 'm sure someone out there can give a more detailed explanation. Colorado gas sucks, btw.

Will

Back