• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura can't duplicate key

I've got a similar issue with my key. I bought an early unobtainium metal key uncut, brought it to the dealership to have it cut according to my vin and they royally fucked it up. For some reason it works for the trunk only. Not sure if I can go back to them since they cut it for free but the key was damn expensive. :mad:

I was in the same boat. The dealer was WORTHLESS for getting me a new key. I too got a T5 key and was able to get another without the red key. Check around. It can be done. Some dealers probably have never had to deal with this problem.

They gave me the same run around story that you got. No red key, no duplicate. They said I need to buy a new immobilizer for like seven or eight hundred dollars.

Do people understand that part of the effectiveness of the immobilizer is based on the fact that it is very expensive and a pain in the butt to get duplicate keys? If you really could get a new key made with your vin number or an old key, then you are taking away the deterrent aspect.

That is what the red key is for--for the legitimate owner to easily make copies of the key and get them programmed. The core problem seems to be that people buy and sell used cars without taking custody of the red key. If the seller cannot give you the red key, you should make him deduct the price of a new immobilizer from the car so you can get a new one and a new matching red key. The methods to program keys without the red ones are probably hacked without Honda's support, I would think.

I'm not wholly sure that this particular key CAN be duped. If anyone has a spare key to send me, I'll try, and if it works, you get one free key. If it doesn't, you get your key back.

If it works, the difference with the Acura key is that it is an original with a unique electronic signature that the vehicle has to be programmed to recognize. The duplicate cloned keys have an EPROM ship in them that is programmed to mirror that electronic signature. We have a Silca machine here that does the duplication.

On the subject of keys and cutting keys.
Does anyone understand what the difference is from a valet key to a regular key? I know the valet key will start the car and unlock the doors. It will NOT unlock the trunk or glove box.,
But I have compared the regular keys to my valet key. They appear to be cut identical, yet it doesn't work the trunk.
I have looked at these keys over and over again.

I can't tell the difference.

anyone?

I need some help on how to get a replacement key for my 2000 NSX. Here's the story. I Went to the dealership to get a duplicate because I lost one of the keys. They take my money $$ to order a blank. Two days later the key arrive and I go to pick it up. To my amazement they want another $120 for programming when I was told by the parts guy $60 total before. That's $180 total for the key and programming. I'm pissed, but agree just to get the hell out of there. While waiting in the lobby I hear them reving my car and quickly go outside to look. Seems like the techs were just having fun (I wasn't happy :mad:). Then a hour later the service guy come to me and says they can't program the key to the imbolizer, because they need the red key.... :confused: What the fxxxx... I don't have the red key because I bought my car used. Now, I'm stuck with a key that doesn't work. Any ideas, you guys have been very helpful here. Thanks.

have you seen their stock prices?

sales down 33%.... they gota make up for lost sales some where.

i got one word for you. SHORT :biggrin:

I just has a dealer not able to cut a key for a '91!!
I ordered in the blank. (NSX black plastic)

They cut it using the 4 digit code on my original key.

The guy cutting it screwed it up. blamed the cutter!

The key worked one way, flipped it over, didn't work. If you looked at the key you could tell why.

I returned the key, He said they only can cut a key once. no shit.. I asked him to order in another blank because he messed it up. He wanted to charge me for the second key order!
I could have had it cut at a lock smith for $2.00! (and it would have worked)
After talking to someone else at the dealership, they are ordering me another key blank. Not sure how am going to get it cut the next time.

This should be simple!

I'm glad my 94 doesn't have this immobilizer stuff. I had to pay $300 to get a key for my Range Rover and had to wait 2 weeks to get it from the UK!!

It seems silly the "dealers" at the very least can't reorder you a new red key. I can understand the manufacturers reasoning to make these difficult to duplicate. If it was simple to duplicate your "high security" goes out the window. But you shouldn't have to replace the entire system to fix a missing key.

If you are not particular about the key go to a Honda dealership. They can use the 98-02 Accord key blank. Or take your Acura key in and get it programmed. Most can cut the key and program it with only the original key. I say most because a few do not have the key duplicater for programming the key. The red key is only for if you do not have any of your keys. If you have one working one then they can copy it for you.
As for cutting from a vin: They cannot program it due to the Immobi in the car and the keys to it have the code info. A lot of times a key cut from vin will have trouble working some locks(generally drivers door and ignition) This is because the lock cylinders have worn some to the old keys and get hung up on the fresh edges of the vin cut key. I have seen this several times.
Good luck and sorry that the dealer is being a pain.

I just has a dealer not able to cut a key for a '91!!
I ordered in the blank. (NSX black plastic)

They cut it using the 4 digit code on my original key.

The guy cutting it screwed it up. blamed the cutter!

The key worked one way, flipped it over, didn't work. If you looked at the key you could tell why.

I returned the key, He said they only can cut a key once. no shit.. I asked him to order in another blank because he messed it up. He wanted to charge me for the second key order!
I could have had it cut at a lock smith for $2.00! (and it would have worked)
After talking to someone else at the dealership, they are ordering me another key blank. Not sure how am going to get it cut the next time.

This should be simple!

Yep, it should be.

I just heard back from a Prime member that I cut a Titanium key for. Works perfectly, of course :D

I don't know why dealers ever went to trace cutters. They suck.

Yep, it should be.

I just heard back from a Prime member that I cut a Titanium key for. Works perfectly, of course :D

I don't know why dealers ever went to trace cutters. They suck.

What type of cutter are you using? Is it the type where it stamps the key from the Honda key code (and doesn't leave burrs)? I may need a few keys cut.

Last edited:
Exactly. It's a 20 year old manual punch cutter. I think I'm the only person here that still uses it, but it cuts a 100% perfect key, every time.

I can obtain the key code on the Acura Interactive network with a secure login with my DPTS ID, then cut the key using the specific punch cuts from a book.

At one time I was so good that I could cut a perfect key by just looking at the blank and writing the codes down as I saw them laid out on the key, but that was long ago :tongue:

All Acuras and Hondas, with the exception of Legends, from 1990 up use a 6 cut 8 position setup, up until they went to the sidewinder keys. Acuras and Hondas pre-1990 use a 3 cut 8 position die. I even used to do all the lock cylinder recoding for the body shop here.

Last edited:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I think I've lost my 35113-SL0-A11 key while travelling overseas. How can I get a replacement?

Call the guy in the post above yours.

If you have a operable (one that starts the car) master key ask another dealer for a T5 key. It is much cheaper and they can copy the program from your original master key instead of programming it to the car. Just bypass the Service Dept and go straight to the parts department.

My experience with key duplication is simple. Even though I do have the "red" key, I did NOT need it. I took my ignition key to the local locksmith. I handed him my ignition key and $35. He grabbed a T5 key from the rack and inserted it and my key into a machine. A few button pushes and voila, I had two keys. He did not need a "red" key, he did not need a VIN, and he did not need $180. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. It's no wonder they call them stealerships! My recommendation is to find a reputable locksmith.

Gary

When I got mine there was only one key, so I purchased extra keys at 25 a piece from one of the vendors here on prime. I took them to my acura dealership and they said they couldn't cut the key. I got a little peeved. They told me to take it to a locksmith. I asked them if it didnt work if I would be out the money for the key, or if they would reimburse me... I mean, how ridiculous, its an acura key in an acura car at an acura service!

So I called Acura corporate and not only did they get the keys cut for me, but apologized for the inconvenience. I got a free oil change, hand car wash, and 50 percent off the service I had done!

I don't know why they make such a big deal about it... So I cut a bunch of keys so that I don't have to deal with it again!

When I got mine there was only one key, so I purchased extra keys at 25 a piece from one of the vendors here on prime. I took them to my acura dealership and they said they couldn't cut the key. I got a little peeved. They told me to take it to a locksmith. I asked them if it didnt work if I would be out the money for the key, or if they would reimburse me... I mean, how ridiculous, its an acura key in an acura car at an acura service!

So I called Acura corporate and not only did they get the keys cut for me, but apologized for the inconvenience. I got a free oil change, hand car wash, and 50 percent off the service I had done!

I don't know why they make such a big deal about it... So I cut a bunch of keys so that I don't have to deal with it again!

Weird! I went to Mullers in Hoffman Estates. I didn't provide them anything, but they cut me a spare for under $25 IIRC.

Weird! I went to Mullers in Hoffman Estates. I didn't provide them anything, but they cut me a spare for under $25 IIRC.

This was at McGrath in Morton Grove on Waukegan. I have to say that overall my experience has been really great over there.. this was my first problem with them EVER.. but still it happened.

Other than this key issue they have really been great. I purchased 5-6 cars from them but they really treat you differently with the NSX. Definitely white glove service! Their NSX guy is really great to work with.

J

Resurrecting this thread gives me an idea.

I know that you're referring to the PROM keys, but I'm almost wondering if it would be worthwhile to try to purchase a new punch cutter like I had at my old dealership, IF there's a market for those needing the titanium keys cut. Has anyone had much success getting them done?

well took mine to lowes, had the key that came with the car, took the new Titanum NSX key, they cut it but it only starts the car if the key is in a certain way. and def will not open the doors from the outside, so the key is basiclly useless to me. so I asked the guy why wouldnt this work? he goes i dont know you put the original key in this hole, and the new blank key in this hole and press that big red button. I was so mad I was gonna snap. had to leave.

so I bought 2 more 130 dollars keys.

have not cut them yet. scared to. dont wanna EAT another key.

was going to take to dealer but after reading this I am not sure they could do it.

and the locksmiths around me look like run down shacks in the hills of Montana LOL

Last edited:
Try this. On the NSX key, there are a total of 8 cuts. Measure up the keys exactly to one another. You may be able to get the key to work by carefully filing the tip, and/or some of the tips of the cut.

I don't trust trace cutters with Titanium keys, they're just way too expensive to risk something misaligned. As well, keys with usage wear down after time, and while a blank may work in this state, a blank traced from a worn copy is a roll of the dice with such an expensive key. I myself cut only from the key code, thereby creating an original.

Back