• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura ILX commercial

Have you guys seen the commercials for the ILX?

I thought it was pretty cool, and hit the taget market on the mark. The more I look at ILX the more I like it. I think it's a pretty nice step up from the Civic, a nice car for new college grads or yuppies.

Of course I'm talking about the 6 speed manual version with 201 HP similar to the Civic Si.

Couple minor complaints: Car only comes with black interior and the MSRP is priced at couple grand too high imo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jAx7EEL-gv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Funny. One of our own is a spokesperson for the ILX.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gTuWt-oA84Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TemA-6OZeAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why does everything take 91 octane fuel these days?? My "fun" car is allowed to burn the premium petroleum but what ever happened to daily driver cars taking 87?

Yes, I know, it's because the nanny state is mandating thicker frames and more airbags, so things are getting heavier and needing high compression power plants just to move at all... I was a little disappointed that the FR-S took 91 but this is just embarrassing.

I'm sorry, but this car is just terrible. There is absolutely nothing about this car that interests me. NOTHING. I just can not see why anyone would purchase this car before the hundreds of other options available. And out of the Honda/Acura line up, I would likely place this car dead last on my desire list. Yes, even the out-going RL holds more pizzazz than the ILX does.

In Charlie Brown's own words, "Good grief."

I'm sorry, but this car is just terrible. There is absolutely nothing about this car that interests me. NOTHING. I just can not see why anyone would purchase this car before the hundreds of other options available. And out of the Honda/Acura line up, I would likely place this car dead last on my desire list. Yes, even the out-going RL holds more pizzazz than the ILX does.

In Charlie Brown's own words, "Good grief."

Just curious, did you drive the ILX?

We had the opportunity of test drive the Hybrid on a 40 mile cruise as well as autocross the ILX 6 speed before its release to the public courtesy of Acura. The speed is nimble and quite impressive in handling, turning radius, and brakes - albeit it is an entry level in the line up. Stay tuned to an aftermarket supercharger soon ........

I would buy it tomorrow if it was RWD. My current dd, 2004 TSX was purchased for 24 500 in summer 2003 and it's accord based.

lookwise its not that great i rather buy a used 1st gen tsx for much lesss

i don't understand the 91 octane. the ex honda accord as a 190hp 2.4L and take 87 but the extra 11hp in the ILX and Si require 91 octane???? Also if Cadillac can get over 300hp out of their v6 in the CTS then i would hope honda could get 200hp out of a 4 banger running on 87.

i don't understand the 91 octane. the ex honda accord as a 190hp 2.4L and take 87 but the extra 11hp in the ILX and Si require 91 octane???? Also if Cadillac can get over 300hp out of their v6 in the CTS then i would hope honda could get 200hp out of a 4 banger running on 87.

Sometimes I think they just pretend it requires 91 to maintain its "premium", "luxury" image. Throw some 87 in it and see what happens - probably nothing.

Is this a replacement for the TSX? Or is it slotted under the TSX?

The song in the commercial:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aQdmJ91_jCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is this a replacement for the TSX? Or is it slotted under the TSX?

The song in the commercial:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aQdmJ91_jCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for posting the song, the tune is real catchy and I like it a lot.

The ILX is slotted under the TSX as it is based on the Civic vs. TSX based on the European Accord.

Looks more like a squished TSX to me. Kind of like the 1 series BMW is to the 3 series. I do like the interior though. Wish they would put as much effort in the exterior design. I can imagine it'd be fun to drive but for that price point, I'd look elsewhere.

Its not bad, IMO. However I do prefer the TSX. Its definetly no Legend. :rolleyes: I wish Acura would seperate its self more from Honda though this ILX does look a lot like a rebadged Accord. I do think the "beak" is better. Still not a fan of it, just looks kind of cheap(beak). Its nothing I would go out and say I would really want to drive it. I am assuming this is an entry level car.

Thanks for the correction.

Why did they replace the TSX?

Acura still sells the TSX, you can either have it with 2.4L i4 or 3.5L V6 engine. It seems that all cars are "growing bigger" each yar.

I like the ILX, it's modest and elegant - just like the TSX. I wish Honda / Acura had something like Lexus is250/350, simple everyday car with RWD.

I'll be the contrarian and say that I like it. It'd be good daily transportation and the 25k entry price piont is way attractive.

That said, they'll have to offer an auto trans option with the 2.4L engine. Now to imagine if they offered the 3.5L V6 or turbo'd the 2.0 w/ SH-AWD.

C'mon Honda, give the fans what they want.

See post #7 - CT Engineering is supposedly working on one for SEMA!

As for the other comments, many of them (including the option for supercharger :biggrin:) - plus some that haven't been noted yet but will once you drive - were discussed with Acura in our focus group feedback :wink:

Can't go further as it may violate the confidentiality agreements that we signed.

Taking my cues from Brylek who aptly noted they are offering the looks of the IS250 but with entry level accessories. As entry level, one would "assume" the target would be the college bound or recently college grad generation of relatively well to do families or up and coming young adults - they pretty much say so in their ads. The three models appear to have three different market segmentation: Green-hip for the Hybrid tree hugging crowd (the power with the additional 50 whp is helpful when needed but it is not linear power, it is a flat curve on/off) - the Hybrid is consistent with Honda/Acura's pitch of being environmentally friendly company (plus they need it for overall mpg averages). The automatic daily driver (presumably more females) and for most who are not "car buffs" this is a pretty well packaged model with good power and NAV included. The sportier for presumably more testosterone males - though it may not have the same cache of Civic Si followers.

The inside is roomy in all models - even rear seat leg/headroom, and front seats hold your butt well. Upgraded sound system with some models, text messaging ....... but then agaian, sadly, some key amenity features are missing as standard accessories though they have improved on others (USB/ipod location; blind spot side view mirrors, ...), and some not available even as optional depending on which model one chooses such as there is no NAV option with the 2.4L! - at least for this year but it might change with feedback.

Yes, " .... the ILX, it's modest and elegant" and that has always been Acura's emphasis - subdued statement, nothing that screams at you for attention. But it is not in the same class as the new TSX, especially if you compare it to V6 offering.

Before making complete judgments, you have to see the ILX in person for you may not notice some of its subtle body lines and different front/rear lower valences. And you really need to drive the 2.4L to appreciate its car dynamics and potential. The very easy clutch (by design to maximize longevity for street/traffic driving) and the short gearbox shifts/throws were very fluid (a bit crispier would have been nicer IMO). The 2.4L comes with larger wheels and rotors (and yes they had to research that to confirm it to me when I suspected it must have different brakes :tongue:)

Now to imagine if they offered the 3.5L V6 or turbo'd the 2.0 w/ SH-AWD.

C'mon Honda, give the fans what they want.

I hope they won't put the 3.5L V6 into the ILX, every Acura Sedan already has/had that engine... I really hoped that at some point they will put the RDX drivetrain into the TSX but that will never happened.

Thanks for the post, Hrant. Yes, I saw the SC content but until it's done it's just dream. Plus, they'll have to add in a limited slip to make decent use of the added power. As I understand it, neither level of the ILX offer a limited slip.

I'm all for getting aftermarket support but something in me says, "why should we have to have the aftermarket?" Acura should offer a performance version of every model in their line up for enthusiasts. I'd much rather have a sport model of the ILX than re-engineer my e39 M5 to modern convenience standards.

Still do like it though and the idea behind it.

Hrant,

Do you think Acura will ever offer something RWD like Lexus is 250/350, Nissan 350/370Z or the new Scion?

Back