• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura RL vs. Hyundai Genesis 3.8

If price is similar, which one will you bring home?

• 2012 Acura RL

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • 2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8

Votes: 44 52.4%

• Total voters
Out of all the cars I've had, these two had the best butts by far :tongue:

DSCN4776.jpg

(The NSX is like an asian girl, no butt....haha ~ the R8 on the other hand DAMN!)

Do you honestly think a Hynndai can make such a leap as you have described, in five years?

If they peaked in the 1990's, how do explain S2000, Civic Si, TL, and even the Pilot is a great seller.

RL was not created with the US market in mind, but Asia. It was also the first JDM car to officially break the 280PS rule. It also won the Japanese domestic car of the year in 2005.

There will be one day the exchange rate will hurt Korea as it have to Honda, when that day come, I'm sure Automaker of China and India will be doing something similar, but I will still buy Honda.

Sorry BD, but I'd have to disagree with the statement that the RL was created with the Asia market in mind. Or if it was, it was an abject failure. Having lived in Hong Kong for the past 2.5 years and traveling multiple times per quarter to China, Japan and Korea, I have not come across an RL. Zip. Zero. None. If they were counting on Asia to be the market for the RL, especially China, now the biggest car market in the world, then it would be an astonishing failure.

I dont believe that exchange rates will hurt as much in the auto industry, as say in tech, where Samsung and Sony will get killed, since much of the manufacturing occurs here in the US.

I have been a lifelong Honda fan, having owned multiple Accords, a TL and of course an NSX, but I'm afraid I've moved on to a 996tt for the fun car, as the NSX was just plain neglected for updates.

I'm not as pessimistic about the rest of Honda's line as I think the MDX, Pilot and the Fit are best in class. I actually cross-shopped the RDX, which came close 2nd to the X3, and the new one appears great. However, the truth is that technology and styling-wise Honda's current models are terrible.

That being said, my answer to the poll is slightly more nuanced. The winner for me would be a used RL, as they are just depreciation disasters. Hyundai doesn't have the depth in attractive 4-6 year old used cars, as their cars back then just sucked, full stop.

Even the new Sonatas and Elantras, while great, will probably require one more generation to truly be dominant. I rented a Sonata recently and I really wanted to like the car, and overall, it was okay, but it had stupid stuff go wrong, like the A/C fan speed increasing and decreasing with engine speed. Probably a bug with my car, but at 14K miles, it just shouldn't happen. But make no mistake about it, they will get there, and they will be dominant.

is it just me or does this TL look like it has a standard lip in the front yet a step lip in the rear?

due to the double staggered nature of nsx wheels; ive always wondered how the nsx would look if the front wheels had a standard lip while are rears are step up.

Last edited:
those hyundai velocter's look beautiful to me. and they are selling like hotcakes where i live. currently in Aus right now and hyundai seems to be doing very well here as well!

I'm Chinese but we do go to a Korean church sometimes and they recently have the latest Hyundai cars for us to check out.

I never drove the Genesis but it sure does look sharp! I would say S-class size and look for 1/3 the price! :biggrin:

Not in the market for any of these cars but I do have to admit both Kia's Optima and Hyundai has made me do double takes on the road. Very well built cars and looks sharp too. No other Honda besides the s2000/NSX makes me look twice.

Caustic: WOW I was not aware a TL can look so nice, thanks for the pictures! What was done to that car cosmetically?

I had an 05 RL for some years, loved it.

DSC07074-copy.jpg

I am rocking a Grand Cherokee as daily now, but next year I will get an 07 RL, fantastic cars for the money (Used, buying new is CRAZY) .. :)

All (I think) the RL needs is: suspension, wheels, better tires, exhaust, and not to be from the years that they switched to the STUPID razor front (05-09 I think)

Oscar

Back