• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alpine amp going into self-protect mode! Help!

Now that my door panels are back together and wired correctly, I’ve moved on to hooking up my stereo and have an amplifier problem that I just can’t figure out. My current system is:

- Kenwood KDC-MP208 Head Umit w/ 2.0V RCA pre-outs

- Pyle PLG6C 6” / 0.5” Component system with 2-way passive crossovers. The 6” speakers are 400W Peak @ 4ohms and 200W RMS @ 4ohms. The 0.5” Tweeters are 100W Peak @ 4ohms and 50W RMS @ 4ohms.

- Pyle PL8 8” subwoofer in a custom box in the passenger footwell. The sub is 400W Peak @ 4ohms and 200W RMS @ 4ohms.

The car came with an 8-channel A/D/S 840.2 amplifier that was WAY overkill for my simple 3-channel system (the PO had it wired to include the center speaker). I sold the amp and replaced it with my trusty old Alpine 3527S 4-channel amp that has been in 4 of my previous cars. It has always been rock solid and reliable. The amp specs in 3-channel mode are:

25W x 2 @ 4ohms
75W x 1 @ 4ohms (bridged)
Input sensitivity = 100mV to 2000mV (500mV at center detent)

I wired the two 25W channels (1 & 2) to the component speakers using the passive crossovers. I bridged channels 3 and 4 to create a single 75W channel for the sub. I double-checked all wires to ensure correct connections. The amp is grounded directly to the battery negative terminal. After checking all connections, I switched the HU on and tried to set the amp gain. I turned both gains down to minimum (100mV) and the HU volume to 30, which is 75% of max. I put in a good rock CD and before I even touched the gains, the amp started to get really hot to the touch. Suddenly, the music cut out and I noticed the amp status LED turned from green to red, indicating the self-protection mode was engaged. I turned the HU volume down to 20 and the green light came back on and the music came back fine with no distortion. The amp was VERY hot though, which is unusual, as this amp has never gotten more than lukewarm in my past installs, even with the tunes cranking.

I hopped online and googled the issue and found several possible explanations. One was a speaker wire short, but it didn’t fit my problem since the amp runs in the green at lower HU volume levels. Some suggested a ground issue, but again it doesn’t fit my problem, since the amp runs fine at low volume. The issue that seemed to fit my symptoms best was a gain problem, in that the input voltage (2.0V or 2000mV) was not the same as the amp gain (currently 100mV). They suggested to set my gain with a multimeter on the speaker terminals to ensure that the input values matched.

I started with the sub channel. I set the HU back to 30 volume and put in a 100hz test tone. According to the chart supplied by the audio forum, 75W @ 4ohms should read about 18.5V on the multimeter at 75% of max volume. I gradually turned up the gain on the sub channel until it was reading 18 volts. At this point the amp was staying in the green, but was pretty hot. I then moved onto the component channels. At 100mV gain, the multimeter didn’t even twitch. As I turned the gain up to max, I got about 6V on the meter at each channel. Still, there was no clipping and the amp was in the green. The 100hz test tone was so loud in the car however that I got worried I was going to blow out the speakers. I took the test tone out and inserted my rock CD and turned the HU volume down to 20 again. The music was clear. As I turned it up past 25, bam it went back into self-protection mode.

I went back inside puzzled and googled for further answers. The best I could find suggests that I’m asking my little Alpine to do too much. I have 2 tweeters at 50W RMS, 2 woofers at 200W and a sub at 200W, which is 450W total @ 4ohms. At the higher volume levels, it seems the Alpine just can’t feed enough watts to drive the speakers. I am confused however because I always thought the RMS and Peak ratings told you the maximum level the speaker could tolerate and did NOT reflect the amount of power required to drive the speaker. I thought that by using my low-power Alpine, I would protect my speakers by staying under the max watt limits. But, given my issue, do I need a more powerful amp? Is that why the Alpine does fine at lower volumes but cuts out and overheats when it gets loud? Do the RMS power ratings really tell you the amount of power you need to drive a speaker?

My confusion is enhanced based on my earlier systems. There, I used an Alpine HU to drive the front speakers and the amp bridged into two 75W channels to drive two 6x9 Boston rear speakers rated at 140W RMS. The amp never cut out even at extreme volume and never got more than lukewarm in that config, with gains set to nominal (500mV). That system could shake the car and not even blip. But, I was only using the amp to feed 150W into two channels totaling 280W.

So, I’m stuck and the trunk of my NSX is littered with wires and components until I figure this out. :( Is my amp broken, or am I asking it to do too much? Should I just buy a more powerful 4-channel amp? Why does it get so hot and clip/cut out at low gain levels- I would think that it should do the opposite, since it is a low-power amp. Is it trying to overdrive itself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

just because it runs fine @ low volume doesn't mean its not a ground issue. it will work with a bad ground but higher volume=more current draw. that amp isn't regulated.

make the ground as short as possible to the chassis. meter the 3 speaker wires @ the amp for proper resistance.

Thanks spider, I already metered all 3 channels at the terminals. They are all steady 4 ohms. How do I test the ground? I thought grounding directly to the neg battery terminal was the best way to do it?

Power and ground wires are either 8 or 6. It's all monster cable stuff from the prior install. Nice stuff.

Replace your in-line fuse. Its a cheap replacement and if it doesn't end up being the fuse you'll have one lying around in the future. REMEMBER just because the fuse "looks" OK that doesn't mean it is. The last time I replaced my fuse it looked perfect but was broken at the very bottom of the fuse which is concealed.

If the AMP is in the trunk and you are running a ground from the amp all the way to the battery in the front of the car that is a very long ground. I understand that it worked before and long grounds can work but they are not recommended. Buy a shorter ground wire and ground in the trunk. There are two good places that I have found that work as excellent grounds in the trunk. One is on the left side and one is on the right.

Last edited:
Try running only two channels at a time , these old alpines go into protection pretty easy.

I'll look at the in-line fuse and run a ground to the chassis in the trunk to see if it makes a difference. But would a fuse or ground issue explain the overheating? The input gain issue seemed much a more likely suspect. Should I turn the gains to max (2.0V) to match the RCA input voltage?

Edit: found this helpful tutorial- http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t35875.html

So it seems I was right in that lower gain (input sensitivity) will prevent the amp from delivering max power. Therefore, my amp should not be overheating at the lowest gain settings...but it is. Spider and trainingrevolution might be right...would a bad ground cause an overheat?

Last edited:
I would move the amp out of the trunk... the inside of the trunk gets very hot since the exhaust is directly underneath the trunk pan... and there is no ventilation in the trunk at all.

Move the amp to behind the seats... this will also shorten the wires needed to run to your speakers etc.

Thanks enkrypt3d, I might try that too but for now, I'm going to test the ground theory. There is a ground point in the trunk very close to the amp that should provide a good test for why the amp is overheating at high volume. The more I think about it, the more I think it is a ground problem. I'm also going to check my battery chassis ground.

I am going to test the volts at the + and ground terminals on the amp. If at high volume there is a drop, that suggests a bad ground. Then, I either have to run a new good ground to the trunk, or test along the battery ground wire to try and find where the resistance is. I also might replace the in-line fuse as recommended.

Thanks enkrypt3d, I might try that too but for now, I'm going to test the ground theory. There is a ground point in the trunk very close to the amp that should provide a good test for why the amp is overheating at high volume. The more I think about it, the more I think it is a ground problem. I'm also going to check my battery chassis ground.

I am going to test the volts at the + and ground terminals on the amp. If at high volume there is a drop, that suggests a bad ground. Then, I either have to run a new good ground to the trunk, or test along the battery ground wire to try and find where the resistance is. I also might replace the in-line fuse as recommended.

How hot does the amp get? is it too hot to touch after it goes into safe mode? If so then yea its not getting enough air.. and yea the amp should definitely have a fat ground cable if u are pushing lots of watts... good luck!

In less than 2 minutes it got hot enough where it almost was too hot to touch. The trunk was open and the car was not running, so basically the amp was in 72 degree open air. That makes me think it is an electrical issue and not a ventilation issue.

In less than 2 minutes it got hot enough where it almost was too hot to touch. The trunk was open and the car was not running, so basically the amp was in 72 degree open air. That makes me think it is an electrical issue and not a ventilation issue.

yea thats not right... there either a short internally on the amp itself since its not a new amp or like you said its a wiring issue. Hopefully you get it worked out! :) Heat is always bad for electronics.

Well the ground test came up normal. The amp is getting full power at the terminals, but the volts at the speakers are low and fluctuating. My neighbor who is an electrical engineer came over and tested with his multimeter and we're pretty sure there is a short in the amp. It is getting ridiculously hot and shutting itself off within a couple minutes even at moderate volume levels. The amp itself is almost 20 years old and I guess I can't expect better than the three cars over 15 years it gave to me. I'm going to pick up a new Alpine MRP-F300, which is basically the same design with more power and call it a day. Thanks to everyone who helped.

the v power are great little amps for the $$. if your budget doesnt allow for a pdx its a great substitute.

ive installed many of these lately and they work great.

I would move the amp out of the trunk... the inside of the trunk gets very hot since the exhaust is directly underneath the trunk pan... and there is no ventilation in the trunk at all.

Move the amp to behind the seats... this will also shorten the wires needed to run to your speakers etc.

If you move the amp behind the seats you lose legroom and you make the amp visible for theft. I'm not discouraging the location because a lot of folks prefer to put it behind the seat (especially to keep the cable runs short), but its something you should consider.

I live in Austin, TX I have a Black/Black NSX I have my Alpine amp in the trunk and I've never had a heat problem with my amp. Its 100 degrees out here and I drove the car for 3 hours two weeks ago from Dallas to Austin without a single problem.

Well the ground test came up normal. The amp is getting full power at the terminals, but the volts at the speakers are low and fluctuating. My neighbor who is an electrical engineer came over and tested with his multimeter and we're pretty sure there is a short in the amp. It is getting ridiculously hot and shutting itself off within a couple minutes even at moderate volume levels. The amp itself is almost 20 years old and I guess I can't expect better than the three cars over 15 years it gave to me. I'm going to pick up a new Alpine MRP-F300, which is basically the same design with more power and call it a day. Thanks to everyone who helped.

I have the MRP-F300, I actually replaced my Alpine PDX4.150 amp with the MRP-F300 and I have been pleasantly surprised with the excellent performance. My amp powers a set of Focal Components and will someday power a sub....I mounted the amp in the trunk on an SOS panel and it looks/works great!

I know you said it was not the heat but I had the same problem with my Alpine amps...it turns out it was the heat. I moved the inside the cabin and it stopped.

I know you said it was not the heat but I had the same problem with my Alpine amps...it turns out it was the heat. I moved the inside the cabin and it stopped.

yea no air flow = bad news for electronics...

And there are ways to mount the amp so its stealthy.... and you only lose maybe 1-2" of leg room... which is negligible at best. I dont drive with my seat all the way back and i'm 6'4" so yea it would probably go best behind the drivers seat since the passenger seat already has minimum leg room as it is.

Yeah but in my case it was an open trunk on a cold car, so it definitely was not the trunk heat causing the issue. One final test I'm going to do before buying the new amp is to test my + line from the battery back across each connection point (fuse, switch, etc) to see if there are any bad connections. I doubt it, but it's worth checking out before dropping the $ on the amp.

Yeah but in my case it was an open trunk on a cold car, so it definitely was not the trunk heat causing the issue. One final test I'm going to do before buying the new amp is to test my + line from the battery back across each connection point (fuse, switch, etc) to see if there are any bad connections. I doubt it, but it's worth checking out before dropping the $ on the amp.

Yes, I read that and I am confused on this subject.

Let me ask you this...Is this the same amp you had in 3-4 of your other cars? Do you think its time is done? This is the only think I can think what might be going on.

yea no air flow = bad news for electronics...

And there are ways to mount the amp so its stealthy.... and you only lose maybe 1-2" of leg room... which is negligible at best. I dont drive with my seat all the way back and i'm 6'4" so yea it would probably go best behind the drivers seat since the passenger seat already has minimum leg room as it is.

thats what I ended up doing. I am short so I can lose 4 inches of space. I also switched from Alpine to Premier (Pioneer Top-line)

NSXSystem.jpg

IMG_alex4303.jpg

Seat removed to show audio.

Yes, I read that and I am confused on this subject.

Let me ask you this...Is this the same amp you had in 3-4 of your other cars? Do you think its time is done? This is the only think I can think what might be going on.

Yes, it's the same amp. It's the same age as my NSX, actually. The real issue is probably a bad output transistor or power supply transistor inside the amp. If one or more of those are bad, it would force the rest to work overtime and heat up really fast. We tested the transistors and there was some bad volt fluctuation on a few of them. Just an old amp, I'm afraid...

Back