• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone hear of opti coat?

I really don't follow this section at all but anyone hear of opti coat ceramic coating?

I heard good things about it. Expensive but durable apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyo_-UA8yM4

Product Description
If you want truly permanent protection for your paint that leaves an incredibly glossy and shinny appearance the Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is your answer. This product is like nothing you have ever used before do don't even compare it to a sealant or wax you may have used in the past, this is a truly permanent coating applied to your clear coat or paint for serious protection. It utilizes a special resin based coating similar to what your clear coat is made from so you can expect it to last for years just like you would your clear coat. It's actually harder than most clear coats so it should resist scratches better than the clear coat. The protection is truly unique and best of all you don't have to keep re-applying it. It is actually a versatile product as well that can be used on your clear coat, painted surfaces, smooth plastic trim, bumpers, head lights, tail lights, wheels, chrome, aluminum, etc., but do not use it on glass.

Version 1.0 (aka Opti-Guard) was originally only available for professional detailers, but version 2.0 was designed to be more user friendly so it's now available to the public. While available to all the product should be reserved for those with lots of high quality detailing experience and those comfortable executing the directions listed below. It's critical that you work on a clean surface that is free of surface imperfections. If dirt and swirls are left behind you will be locking them in beneath the Opti-Coat. To remove them you'll have to clay and polish the paint just like you would your clear coat. After you have applied the Opti-Coat you generally don't have to clay or polish but you can if desired. The formula is designed to help release contaminants better than the clear coat so a clay bar should be needed less. If you want to remove the Opti-Coat in the future you'll need to polish the paint. Sealing and waxing is no longer needed but you can add a coat if desired.

Directions
1.) Wash and clay the paint so it has been thoroughly cleaned
2.) Polish the vehicle to remove all surface imperfections
3.) Wipe down the paint with 15% mix of Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water to removes oils, etc. from polishes
4.) We recommend putting a rubber glove on now so you don't get any product on your hands. Put about 7 to 10 drops on various parts of your foam applicator to help prime the pad, but you only need to do this once in the beginning.
5.) Apply several drops to the foam applicator and buff it on nice and thin up and down and then side to side.
6.) Within five minutes inspect your work and make sure no areas look too thick, as they should look clear after they flash. If it looks too thick use a foam applicator or a microfiber towel to buff out imperfections. The surface may feel a bit tacky so only do this as needed. Generally the less you touch it after the application the more likely it is to cure perfect, although it is a self leveling formula that will help with minor imperfections. Work on one panel at a time before repeating this steps 5 and 6.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with it? Having a black car, I would love the have a finish that is more durable and less prone to swirl marks. Dose it help hold the shine?

What are the cons? Seems like a lot of pros.

I am not an expert but I did look into it briefly for my BRZ. I decided I wanted a traditional clear bra instead.

It's like a super thick clearcoat. It is not as impact resistant as a clear bra. I don't know how it is removed though.

Perhaps someone like Brian @ Sourceone can comment better than I.

Last edited:
It's a very expensive sealant. Good stuff, but provides very little protection against rocks and debris. It's not a substitution for a clear bra.

Dave the con is cost. It's really just a sealant that lasts 6 months. They will tell you that it protects and it's like a hard shield. All it really does is cause water to bead up to 6 months. Don't get me wrong, it's a really good sealant. But it's just a sealant There are cheaper similar products. Like Cquartz. But it's also just an expensive sealant

Last edited:
You do the whole car, I think it's supposed to replace a wax not a clear bra applied to the front only?

Well mine needs a wax. Should I just do this or a regular wax? I can get opti coat done fairly cheap here.

You still need to bring up the shine. This is supposed to keep the shine, Not create it. You have a silver car Im surprised you wash it any way.

Very interesting, I've never heard of this product before and almost thought it was like a layer of lacquer but sounds like it's not quite that durable.

how would this compare to Klasse AIO and Klasse sealant?

how would this compare to Klasse AIO and Klasse sealant?

Tthe word sealant usually implies a chemical coating. This is a chemical that forms a rigid structire and has shape and form as it fills in gaps and forms a layer of protection. There are a few products like this out there and they are normally applied after a full protective service is done to the car. i.e. 2,3, 4 step corection

Klasse products are chemical based sealants. They are not the same product as the application process is quite different. Mileage does vary but genrally speaking the nano coating usually last longer and make miantenance easier.

I hope this helps

I really don't see how this is great stuff. It's ok :rolleyes:. If you ask me i think its more like rain-x. Any wax out there can do the same thing this thing do. Actually, wax is better. Opti coat just makes water run off the car, any wax out there will make you car shine "AND" makes water run off your car :wink:.

- - - Updated - - -

Might as well use RAIN-X.

I have a ton of experience with Opti 2.0. First off, it is not expensive at all! $65 at AutoGeek. This bottle (syringe) will do two NSX's easy!

Nobody is fussier about their cars then me! I have put Opti on my Expedition,Hummer, C6 Corvette and Ferrari 360. It is a clear acrylic coat that goes onand becomes permanent. It seals the paint and replaces wax since nothing canget to the paint once you seal it.

The best part about it is dust, dirt, bird droppings, pollen, etc., does notadhere to the car...ever! If you get any of this on your car, it hoses rightoff. It is amazing!

I was sold onit after a local detailer showed me a glass bottle that he let Opti dryin. After sitting in the open bottle, the liquid turned into a small acrylic rock.

Super easy to put the stuff on. Just prep the finish with rubbing alcohol, rubon sealant, wiper off excess. Search "Opt-Coat) on You Tube and you willsee tons of private videos about it. It is not a scam, some BS product or a waste...it is the real deal! Again, I am a detail fanatic! No more since I have been using Opti Coat!

Note.....Opti does not act like a clear bra. It seals the paint. It does not take the place of clear bra. However, I did put it on over the clear bras on all of my cars as both the Clear Bra Companies (Xpel) and Opti recommend it!

One more thing.....if you have any black plastic trim that is fading, put Opti on it. Brings back the color/texture when it came off the showroom. Stuff will not wash off. It lasts for years. I did my Hummer over one year ago and it still looks perfect....and I am in the Phoenix, AZ, heat, dust, etc.

I am in no way connected to Opti. I just want to share the word on it as I have gotten rid of all my Zaino, Adams, etc. etc. I absolutely love this stuff! Again, Google and You Tube Search it. You can also go to Corvette Forum - CarCare Discussion, as well as Autotopia.org and read what everyone is saying nowthat Opti has become mainstream. Everyone raves about it!

Last edited:
I was quoted $650 to get this on with a lifetime warranty, $550 without the warranty. You're saying you can just buy it retail for $65?

You can buy it at AutoGeek, etc., for around $65. Don't pay anyone to put it on....it is so easy and so quick! Anyone can do it. Just be sure to wipe each section down with a Microfiber right after you apply it. You want to even out the high spots. Very light pressure. Throw away the microfiber once the car is done. You cannot wash the product out of the towel since it hardens when dry. They key is surface prep before application. Watch the You Tube videos to see exactly how to apply!

- - - Updated - - -

Rain X and Opti Coat 2.0 have absolutely not one thing in common chemically, molecularly, or anything else! It is like saying distilled water and Zaino are the same thing. They are not!

You can buy it at AutoGeek, etc., for around $65. Don't pay anyone to put it on....it is so easy and so quick! Anyone can do it. Just be sure to wipe each section down with a Microfiber right after you apply it. You want to even out the high spots. Very light pressure. Throw away the microfiber once the car is done. You cannot wash the product out of the towel since it hardens when dry. They key is surface prep before application. Watch the You Tube videos to see exactly how to apply!

- - - Updated - - -

Rain X and Opti Coat 2.0 have absolutely not one thing in common chemically, molecularly, or anything else! It is like saying distilled water and Zaino are the same thing. They are not!

Hehehehe :biggrin:

Thanks for the info Rob, you saved me a bunch of money.

I am wanting to get Clear Bra and maybe Opti-coat done for my 91 DD. Lots of trucks throwing up debris, etc in my area. To Clear most exposed parts will be like $1500, prep (various stages of decontaminating(?)) / detail $400, and Opti for $400. The finish on my 91 is Excellent and I plan on putting some mileage on my car. I bought my Sebring Silver from the Manager (his Dad owned the dealership) of an Acura dealer who kept it in the showroom. Am I Crazy for spending $2300 to get all this done?

i have it on my m3,and it's great on a dd,you don't have to wax the car,you can't actually,the wax won't adhere.the main downside is the car doesn't shine up quite as much as one done with a traditional paint sealer followed by wax,so i don't have it on my nsx.i've had it on the m3 for a year,and it's still in good shape.

I just had opti-coat 2.0 done. It is not like a sealant/wax because this product cannot wash off, it can only be removed through abrasives (compound/polish). You can powerwash and not worry about removing it. Bugs, tar, road grim does not stick to it.
You can apply wax on top before showing your car off (for extra deep shine) but the was will remove probably after 1 rain or wash because it cannot properly adhere to the opti-coat. It does shine very well, just not as much as wax. I like it because if I accidently put swirl marks in my car, I know it's just in the opti-coat layer and NOT on my actual paint (or if I accidentally let rain dry on my car). It definitely lasts a year or more, possibly indefinitely, if applied correctly and cared for correctly. I plan to wait until I notice that water stops beading off of it until I run over my car with a light polish and re-apply the opti.

DO NOT pay someone hundreds of dollars to apply it... it's $70 and anyone can apply it (just watch a few vids on youtube and you'll see how easy it is)... and you get enough for 2 cars, so pitch in with a buddy and do both of your cars.

But it's true, it's not like a clear bra where it will protect against rock chips... yes this IS a "thicker clear coat" (actually dries as a ceramic coat), so it WILL help against very small/fine debris (road rash), but will not protect against larger rock chips like a clear bra would.

I paid $70 for this protection.... rather than $1000+ for clear bra (Xpel).

Last edited:
Back