• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone order from Tire Rack

I need a new set of rears and used the Tire Rack website to see what was available in my size and how they rated. Once I got a couple options I started calling around to check out prices. OMG! Local prices are more then double what Tire Rack is quoting. :confused: Has anyone ordered tires from Tire Rack recently and how was your experience?

The two tires I am looking at in 245/40/17 are

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position at $144 each
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 at $107 each

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

Dan

I do all the time. Tiresrack has one of the best lowest price and fast ship too. I am ordering two set of tires right now from them. :wink:

I will ordering a pair for the rear of the S2000 once we get back into town (July 3). Ordering Bridgestone potenza RE011A

Maybe we can share duty and shipping and order 4 tires at once.

It has been the only way I have acquired tires for the past 6-7 years.

I usually order from tirerack.com

Sometimes discounttire.com but tirerack usually edges them out a bit. Discount tire I think advertises for free shipping and sometimes they have different sales on tires. Just be cautious of discount tires sales because you need to buy 4 of the same tire most the time to get the discount in your shopping cart.

I sometimes order from the Tire Rack, sometimes from Discount Tire Direct. About 80 percent of the time, the total price from Discount Tire Direct is less than the Tire Rack. (DTD's prices are more but they give free shipping, so the bottom line turns out a bit less than Tire Rack.) I've had positive experiences ordering from both of them, never had a single problem from either.

I almost always receive my tires from the Tire Rack next day, even when only paying for ground shipping. They accomplish next-day receipt for something like 75 percent of the country. Ever wonder how they do that? They transport most of the shipping miles themselves, in their own trucks. Instead of having UPS pick up tires at their own warehouse, they send their own trucks every day to the local UPS facility in almost every big city in the country. So if you live in Philadelphia, or Tulsa, or Edmonton, a Tire Rack truck delivers your tires from one of Tire Rack's four warehouses to the UPS facility in your city, from which the UPS truck is sent out directly to your address. That means more direct transportation, fewer handoffs, and quicker deliveries.

Last edited:
I buy from Tire Rack all the time. Their customer service is awesome and shipping is fast. I usually just have them ship directly to their recommended installer and it works flawlessly every time.

I will ordering a pair for the rear of the S2000 once we get back into town (July 3). Ordering Bridgestone potenza RE011A

Maybe we can share duty and shipping and order 4 tires at once.

Warren, call me when you are back in town. Do you know an installer?

Dan

Tire Rack is cheaper on most but not all tires - such as they are not the lowest on Toyo RA1s. When you add the cost of a local shop to install etc., it will vary - my local America's Tire (Discount Tire Direct is a sister company), matches any price and the convenience is great.

Tire Rack appreciates feedback from which forum/car club the interest is coming. When ordering you may want to give a plug to NSX Prime.

Been ordering tires from TireRack since 2003 and have been nothing but flawless. Between my buddy and I, we go thru about 10 sets a year. We then became a wholesale customer of TR. =D

I just bought my Advans from Tire Rack, Dan. Wouldn't worry about it at all, they're super pro.

I'm jealous of your tire prices though. The 295/30/18 tires for my car were not cheap! And Warren, talking about Eddie? He mounted my stuff up for a very nice price (read: free), so no complaints!

I buy from Tire Rack all the time. Their customer service is awesome and shipping is fast. I usually just have them ship directly to their recommended installer and it works flawlessly every time.
I do the same

I've ordered and also shipped to a shop in the US, drove over and had them installed. Saved even more on shipping, customs, brokerage... if you have the time and are close enough...

Been ordering from Tire Rack as long as I've been driving. My dad and I used to autocross the same car, which we used Hoosiers on. We chewed through those pretty quickly so generated lots of orders. It's the only way I've procured tires since '99. Never had an issue! In fact, I'm usually surprised just how fast they show up. Got some tires in the garage waiting to go on that I ordered from them.

The key, I think, to getting the most from them is to make sure not to just load up your tires in the car (assuming you didn't have them shipped directly to the installer) and take them to any old shop. TR has already worked out prix fixe pricing with installers, so I recommend you take advantage of it. I used to sell tires, and mount them before that, and let me tell you - many shops hate TR because of what they can do and will rape you on mounting and balancing if they haven't already worked out a deal with them.

Discount tire direct dot com for me. Free shipping and is cheaper then tire rack.

My family has been ordering from them for almost 30 years. They have good prices on ultra high performance tires for cars like the NSX, however I have found that for regular DD tires Costco is hard to beat. I just purchased a set of Michelin's for my SUV and the cost at Costco including mounting, balancing, Nitrogen fill, and road hazard warranty was $150 cheaper than buying from Tire Rack and then having them installed. Costco also does free rotations and Nitrogen fill.

My family has been ordering from them for almost 30 years. They have good prices on ultra high performance tires for cars like the NSX, however I have found that for regular DD tires Costco is hard to beat. I just purchased a set of Michelin's for my SUV and the cost at Costco including mounting, balancing, Nitrogen fill, and road hazard warranty was $150 cheaper than buying from Tire Rack and then having them installed. Costco also does free rotations and Nitrogen fill.
You can check prices on the websites of Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, and Costco. Make sure to compare the bottom-line total; you'll usually pay sales tax at Costco but not at internet dealers, you'll usually pay shipping at Tire Rack but not at Discount Tire Direct or Costco, and you need to consider any charges for mounting and balancing. Also, Costco only carries three brands of tires (Michelin, Bridgestone, and BFGoodrich).

Whenever I've compared the bottom line, Discount Tire Direct comes out cheapest about 80 percent of the time, Tire Rack about 10 percent of the time, and the other 10 percent of the time, the tire I want is only available at one of the three places so there's no choice. But you don't have to dispute that statement or take my word for it! Just go to their three websites (or those of any other dealer) and look up their prices for the tire you want, then take into account any sales tax, shipping, and mounting/balancing charges, and see for yourself which has the best bottom line. Also consider that sometimes your local tire dealer is willing to price-match website prices, or at least to come close.

I order from Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, and Costco all the time never had any issues. Most tire places will match prices or come close and throw in mounting and balancing for free. Some times its cheeper to buy the tires locally if they will match prices because you can get them installed for free. Some places charge big dollars to install a low profile tire.

Im lucky my brother is a mechanic, so I have access to one of the best tire mounting systems in the industry and I do them myself so the wheels don't get messed up.

Last edited:
You can check prices on the websites of Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, and Costco. Make sure to compare the bottom-line total; you'll usually pay sales tax at Costco but not at internet dealers, you'll usually pay shipping at Tire Rack but not at Discount Tire Direct or Costco, and you need to consider any charges for mounting and balancing. Also, Costco only carries three brands of tires (Michelin, Bridgestone, and BFGoodrich).

I wholeheartedly agree with you, however this time Costco came out ahead. I also liked that Costco applied the $70 rebate at the time of installation and I didn't have to wait 6-8wks for the rebate Visa card. Before the rebate, the tires I bought came out to $663. The same tires were $660 from Tire Rack, not including installation. I just happened to need the right tires at the right time.

I'm in Ontario and have used http://www.tiretrends.com with good results. They are located in Canada in Langley, BC so no brokerage or duty charges that you would otherwise have to pay with tirerack even if you drive across the border you'll still have to pay duty brokerage etc. For most tires I found when compared they were the same as tirerack if not a bit less than tirerack at least for my Continental DWS's I just got they were. Tires arrived quickly from Tiretrends couldn't be happier about the experience.

I need a new set of rears and used the Tire Rack website to see what was available in my size and how they rated. Once I got a couple options I started calling around to check out prices. OMG! Local prices are more then double what Tire Rack is quoting. :confused: Has anyone ordered tires from Tire Rack recently and how was your experience?

Dan

That is literally the only place I will buy tires. They are awesome.

Dan

Tire rack is awesome

Back