• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone own both an NA1 and an NA2 before?

Wow... Thanks for all the input guys. I think I really need to drive a NA2 myself and see. My biggest gripe is making K turns and when I want to perform a quick lane change while in traffic b/c of the no PS.
It will most likely be a 97-01 if I decide to pull the trigger. Can't afford the 02+ even though I love the new headlights.

Quick pic of my beautiful 91
IMG_1074.jpg

remember the electric steering turns OFF after 15mph. or close to that.

so the only time you will feel it is under that limit

ALL speeds after that its OFF so its the same thing as not having it.

My first experience with the NSX was with a pristine, all stock, 91 with 50k miles on it. Great car - a "drivers experience car". No problems, and loved it. The lack of power steering was not an issue for me whatsoever ( in fact, felt it gave a better feel for the road and driving experience). Having fell in love with the NSX automobile, I found my 01 with low mileage and purchased.

Just feels more "refined" and smoother (if that makes any sense) - and (for me) I love the T-top experience (always was a convertible guy) -- upgraded abs system, 6-speed, motor, passenger air-bag - all these are "plusses" in my mind. Worth the extra bucks? For me, yes.

Actually I love(ed) both - they are both fantastic automobiles that stir the soul - you can't go wrong with either one. For me, I'm happy to have gotten the 01 and plan on keeping it for a very long time.

Subtle differences between the two - can't go wrong with either one. Cheers, Jay

remember the electric steering turns OFF after 15mph. or close to that.

so the only time you will feel it is under that limit

ALL speeds after that its OFF so its the same thing as not having it.

that makes sense, i drove one and thought it had failed or something. worked fine at parking lot speeds, but when i tried taking a turn at street speeds it was gone and the effort felt relatively too high. i seriously almost crashed the car. lol. manual is the way to go for me. that heavy workout in the parking lot gets you ready when it counts.

I'm not sure if it is worth it. If you want more power the sc is a much better option, but if you want to stay na and enjoy the targa and 6-speed, then I think it is a good trade up. IMO there is no comparison driving a 97 nsx vs a 91. 97 feels more fun to drive around town and I notice the extra tq.

I have both NA1 (91) & NA2 (2000) & love em both.

Like said opinions,

91 has more of a raw feel to it due to no PS (which I like)
but it could use a 6 speed gearbox.

2000 is slightly quicker, with PS very easy to steer (maybe too easy), & the targa is nice to have for cruising on that beautiful sunny days.

Other than that, even though i like both earlier versions, i still want to soon go 02+ because of the modern look of the fixed headlights. just my .02...

95-96... Best/worst of both worlds. C30A 5spd, targa, and power steering... Perfect if you can't own one of each.

Newer cars have the lower rear body skirt that starts aft the rear wheel and goes under the back end. Looks better in my opinion.
Had a 91 Auto and just received a 03 manual. Later car much more refined. My later car also has a spoiler lip that the 91 did not have.
Both great cars, beautifully balanced to drive if the latter car feels sharper and has the advantage of 6 speed + more power. 03 sounds much nicer too.

There are a lot of opinions here and I'll have to add mine because there is one thing missing in all these responses. It's time.....time and miles on a car. You can't change that. Most of the posts here are apples to apples but they can't be. You see there is no substitute for a newer car. A car that is low mileage and built in 05 is just going to feel better and last longer without any major work than any early car - period end of story. If you were able to find an early coupe and even if you could I would absolutely tell you to go as late a model NA1 coupe that you could find because it will be a bit more refined and if you could also find one with low mileage as in 20 to 30k it will just feel better and be better than one with say 70k. At higher miles and the older the car is the more things will be aged in the suspension, and especially the shocks.

So if you consider the maintenance that you will most likely incur on an older car with 50k - 70k miles then you will surely have maintenance to attend to that you would most likely not have in say a 2001 - hell that's 10 years difference right there. I would say you must consider that what some have described as a more refined feel as just the sheer fact that their car is 10 years newer or so than the 91 they had. Then on top of the regular maintenance you will encounter on the older car (all that rubber in the suspension as well) you can start with the improvements to start ringing the cash register - hows about that list we just had for the newer ABS, CT or something headers (they do make a difference), JDM gears and ring & pinion drive gear upgrade, or how bout just adding the 6 speed - man you are talking some fairly serious coin.

So if all things are equal yeah the 91 vs the 97 - 2001 - not that big a deal of difference once you do the upgrades but things are never equal when you are talking a 2001 car vs a 91 - no way. Then if you can go the extra for the 2002+ well now were getting on in years more right - I mean you could be talking the difference between a car that is 22 years old vs one that is that is only 8 years old - let me tell you - big difference.

So the advice has been and always will be in my opinion is to buy the best example, latest model you can afford and enjoy driving it. You can't go wrong wtih that advice. Now if you are looking for a car you can track - a dedicated toy - and have the bucks to get it in great shape maintenance wise or buy one that is completely up to date, which is so rare, and do the jdm gears, headers, ring and pinion - sure go for it cause a 36k car, which is what it will be after you get thru the all the upgrades will be a better deal than a 45k car.

Now I won't even go into the what if I had 55k - should I buy a 2004 NSX or should I buy a 2009 Carrera S with 400hp? mmmmm - but I'm not gonna go there.

Peace Out,

I echo much of what TBromley says. I have a pretty pristine /94 with approx 38,000 miles. Its 98% stock (the 2% is a complete header to muffler system off a low mileage /04 courtesy of Brylek) right down to the Bridgestone RE010 tires. For what is now an almost 19 year old car it is incredibly tight, solid and an amazing ride. I have had the car for about 3.5 years and it has been a joy to own -- very little has gone wrong and whatever has gone wrong has been very minor. However, I'm sure that a low mileage /02-05 is going to feel much fresher (combination of the bigger engine, power steering, drive by wire throttle and certain other refinements Acura made over the years, not to mention that we're talking about a car that is some 8-11 years newer). I am told by my tech that if I were to move into an /02-05 car I would find that the engine will feel much smoother and the power delivery will be not unlike my /06 daily driver TL -- a function of the engine control system. The NA1 is a little raw (not necessarily a bad thing). My tech says that the new car feels much more refined. I do agree that newer can be better. Its not just the miles that age the vehicle, its the passage of time as well.

Tim, as for the 55k comment in your post, PM me -- we need to have an offline discussion.

Best,
Jeff

I've driven newer NSXs.

The targa tops makes them feel older thanks to more noise from chassis flex which I'm very cognizant of

steering makes the NSX feel "old" and more "worn" to me since it's a much more muted experience than the non-power steering version that feels more immediate and precise

drive by wire.... it just feels weird and like an afterthought.

The ONLY thing that makes the newer NSX feels "newer" or better are those updated seats.

The lack of Power steering never mattered to me - after you built up your muscles for a week or two there was nothing to it. I'll tell you after driving that Ferrari F430 - my 91 sure felt a lot like it - actually and I know ya'll will think I'm crazy but I think the NSX feels better - lighter and more tausible - even with less power - it's hard to use 530hp on the street and even on the track. I bet you that it would be hard to lose an NSX in a 430 on a tight track with both cars in the hands of a pro.

I digress - there is really nothing at all wrong with the early cars - there is a lot right about em and they are coupes, tighter, stiffer, etc. Still they are older - you can do a lot to the early ones that will make them just as fast as the later models but you'll spend a lot of money doing it. If you can afford the later models then I'd have a hard time rationalizing the an early one but it depends on what you're going to do with. If it has low mileage it is hard not to consider any of them as daily drivers - even if they don't have low mileage.

When it gets right down to it - all NSXs are great cars - period - they are all amazing and all have pluses and minuses as far as ownership is concerned but any of them are great cars to own and there is not another sports car in the world ever made that gives on the trouble free experience that the NSX gives you and it is a solid performer. The new one they keep talking about building is going to have to really be something else to compete with the old ones.

I don't mean to hijack but just as a side bar - some are saying the new car is going to cost 170k - all I have to say is that if it doesn't out perform the 911 Turbo - they are going to have a hard time selling it. I don't care how cool it looks. It may be the Japanese version of the 918 - but then the 918 is going to have a helluva lot of hp and hybrid motors - we'll see - but I think they'll have to really come up with a reason to fork over that kind of money for one and if it is that costly - then all these older cars are going to be more valuable.

Adios...

Back