• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

Just as a recommendation, since there are 17 pages to this thread, it would be a wise idea to update the 1st and second posts. 1st post with all the kit details/specs/options/prices, etc. Underneath that, every sound clip/video/photo/ etc showing various configurations.

I know a lot of that is there already, but maybe updating it so that it will remain a single reference point for anyone interested in more information, rather sifting through a bajillion posts. :)

Just as a recommendation, since there are 17 pages to this thread, it would be a wise idea to update the 1st and second posts. 1st post with all the kit details/specs/options/prices, etc. Underneath that, every sound clip/video/photo/ etc showing various configurations.

I know a lot of that is there already, but maybe updating it so that it will remain a single reference point for anyone interested in more information, rather sifting through a bajillion posts. :)

There are actually 34 pages!

If you read the first post, you will see that it does have the info updated.

As far as the videos, I need to find a way to post the videos in one spot, I can't edit the second post since it is way too old and, although you can see them all as related videos on youtube.

I was thinking of starting a new thread for videos / sound clips.

Thanks for the input, I need more of this to get an idea of what people need / want to see.

Im trying to make it sound like the Lovefab video they have posted up on youtube with the single straight exhaust during there durability testing.

Will both kits sound very similar with a straight exhaust?? My buddy has a love fab with a straight exhaust and I Love the way it sounds!!

thanks

Blaine

Im trying to make it sound like the Lovefab video they have posted up on youtube with the single straight exhaust during there durability testing.

Will both kits sound very similar with a straight exhaust?? My buddy has a love fab with a straight exhaust and I Love the way it sounds!!

thanks

Blaine

I would think that it would sound the same.

There are actually 34 pages!

If you read the first post, you will see that it does have the info updated.

As far as the videos, I need to find a way to post the videos in one spot, I can't edit the second post since it is way too old and, although you can see them all as related videos on youtube.

I was thinking of starting a new thread for videos / sound clips.

Thanks for the input, I need more of this to get an idea of what people need / want to see.

Ah, 17 for me as I changed the settings on the forum for more posts with less pages. :)

Glad the idea could help. Maybe another idea, you could establish your own website for photos, pricing, videos, customer reviews/testimonials, along with the option to order. :)

Ok Ill start to package all the accesories together with the kit and we can come to a final price.

thanks

Blaine

... watching all of these with interest. Just waiting on that manual transmission engine, still in the process hopefully sooner! :biggrin:.
Then I will start contacting again. Don't think A/T NSX be suitable for your AP-X.

Last edited:
... watching all of these with interest. Just waiting on that manual transmission engine, still in the process hopefully sooner! :biggrin:.
Then I will start contacting again. Don't think A/T NSX be suitable for your AP-X.

Unless you were going to run only 4psi it would probably be the worst ordeal of your life, I have been down that road and can say that it was a really bad idea. Even when you get the transmission upgrades it will never work as they say it will.

Unless you were going to run only 4psi it would probably be the worst ordeal of your life, I have been down that road and can say that it was a really bad idea. Even when you get the transmission upgrades it will never work as they say it will.

You said even with the transmission upgrades it will never work as they say it will. Why is that? Can you explain further...

Agreed! Reason why the hunt for the full engine and trans. Just playing waiting game now. Amount of effort and money, might as well get the manual transmission and you kit.

You said even with the transmission upgrades it will never work as they say it will. Why is that? Can you explain further...

Try to contact nsxinkl. I've been emailing him quite abit. He upgraded his A/T transmission when he got his SC. He then converted his NSX to manual and when turbocharged his NSX.
From what I gathered if you do want to go force induction might as well do it on a M/T NSX. Not saying that it won't work for A/T but better on an M/T.

IsR, go ahead and pull the trigger. You wont regret it. Going FI is the best thing that you could do to your nsx. Angus' kit has been tried and tested and he has excellent after sales service.

I had my torque convertor done when my nsx was auto and CTSC'ed. It handled the additional power really well and i didnt have any issue with my auto tranny for 2 years.

I decided to changed to manual tranny when i turbo charged my car because i wanted 500 rwhp which i dont think the auto tranny could handle. At 350rwhp or lower the beefed up auto tranny should be ok.

IsR, go ahead and pull the trigger. You wont regret it. Going FI is the best thing that you could do to your nsx. Angus' kit has been tried and tested and he has excellent after sales service.

I had my torque convertor done when my nsx was auto and CTSC'ed. It handled the additional power really well and i didnt have any issue with my auto tranny for 2 years.

I decided to changed to manual tranny when i turbo charged my car because i wanted 500 rwhp which i dont think the auto tranny could handle. At 350rwhp or lower the beefed up auto tranny should be ok.

I did alot more than Nsxkl to my tranny I got Level Ten full service package ( $4500) and I plan on pushing little more than what Nsxkl on my auto tranny but I think it will be just fine. I say you do it as well. Angus has a great kit and Wil is really helpful. I love it right now they are so many great FI options for the NSX now that more affordable.

I received my Angus kit but was away on a business trip so my wife moved it into the garage. The packing job that Wil did was outstanding. Everything was well protected and there was not a scratch.

I begain removing my exhaust as I am upgrading my stock 1993 manifolds with a set of 2002 manifolds. These should flow better and the price was right. My NSX is currently in my garage on jackstands. I have pretty good tools and so far my best investment has been my air tool set. It made removing the muffler a breeze.

So far I have about 3 hours in the exhaust removal with pleanty of ice tea breaks. The muffler and cats came out with minimal problems and last night I removed the rear exhaust manifold in about 40 minutes.

The front header should be a little more of a challange but again, I am not rushing. For anyone attempting a header swap, read everything on this site and fully understand it because it will save you a ton of time and frustration.

Also I got a small piece of rust in my eye and had to flush it out at 2 in the morning......................Now I wear my shooting glasses. I'll update with pix when I have time.:rolleyes:

Tonight I started with a beer. Then I removed the rear sway bar. Thank heavens someone here posted the info on using a hex on it. I then began the process of removing the front support and engine mount bolt. You CANNOT do that bolt without an air impact wrench. That SOB was tight! It also took EVERY swivel and extension in my garage to get it to work.

I then removed the heat shields which was a piece of cake but they ARE sharp!
The 4 bolts from the AC compressor came out with my air wrench but I could not for the life of me disconnect the wire connector attached to the dipstick that runs down to the AC. Oops. I'll fix that later.

My 22mm wrench would not hold on the 02 sensor so I'll be at Sears tomorrow buying a 22mm 02 sensor remover. I may stop at a pawn shop just for the heck of it. Last time I bought a thin wall deep socket for my 1980 Cook bro's bmx for 50c vs. 7 bucks at Sears.

Final bit of advice. To anyone doing this install, take the time to spray engine degreaser all over the underside of the car and power wash it. Do this 2-3 times and you will thank me later.

When I was done, I washed up with goop and quietly came in the house. My wife saw me and asked me to "strip". I can honestly say this was not romantic at all as she held up the kitchen trash can where I promptly deposited my
t-shirt and shorts.:redface:

Tonight I started with a beer. Then I removed the rear sway bar. Thank heavens someone here posted the info on using a hex on it. I then began the process of removing the front support and engine mount bolt. You CANNOT do that bolt without an air impact wrench. That SOB was tight! It also took EVERY swivel and extension in my garage to get it to work.

I then removed the heat shields which was a piece of cake but they ARE sharp!
The 4 bolts from the AC compressor came out with my air wrench but I could not for the life of me disconnect the wire connector attached to the dipstick that runs down to the AC. Oops. I'll fix that later.

My 22mm wrench would not hold on the 02 sensor so I'll be at Sears tomorrow buying a 22mm 02 sensor remover. I may stop at a pawn shop just for the heck of it. Last time I bought a thin wall deep socket for my 1980 Cook bro's bmx for 50c vs. 7 bucks at Sears.

Final bit of advice. To anyone doing this install, take the time to spray engine degreaser all over the underside of the car and power wash it. Do this 2-3 times and you will thank me later.

When I was done, I washed up with goop and quietly came in the house. My wife saw me and asked me to "strip". I can honestly say this was not romantic at all as she held up the kitchen trash can where I promptly deposited my
t-shirt and shorts.:redface:

I love stories like this, it is one of the big reasons I decided to do this kit - it makes me think of when I was 16 doing engine swaps in the back yard.

It certainly sounds like you are on the right track - one bit of advice - if your O2 sensors are so seized that they won't easily come out then just buy new ones.

You also need to invest in some disposable painters' coveralls, and nitrile gloves!

Does this kit come with instructions?

I do have some instructions for tapping the pan, but that is really all you will need, as the rest is very simple.

If I got another NSX I would go with the AP-X turbo system again! :) great customer service.

Just thought a quick update was due. My 1st tuner (Mase) was unable to complete the tuning.

So I got in contact with Tracy from Speedfab. He has gone out of his way to accommodate my sometimes crazy schedule. First session was a hot (95F) afternoon and it was clear there were two issues. First the TurboXS MBC was not holding boost steady. It would climb to peak boost (I set it for 7psi) then taper off between .75 and .5 psi at redline, also peak boost would vary from run to run. It was about +- 1 psi but that’s a lot when you’re only running 7 psi.

Second was heat soak on the intercooler. I am running methanol and could feel the intake pipe after the nozzle was much cooler but still hot. There was no effective way to get a fan on the intercooler behind the wheel. After a few runs the power would drop by up to 20 hp. Clearly not a good situation to tune anything. So Tracy asked me to fix those two things and we could try again. Best run was a 370rwhp at 6.8psi peak then taper.

I ordered a spal 8” fan to mount on the intercooler (It has an 8’ by 10’ frontal area) and a Greddy Profec B Spec to EBC. Neither had arrived by the next weekend but it was 15degs cooler out. I called Tracy on the day before and set up a Saturday morning appt at 10 before it would warm up.

I arrived and Tracy asked what kind of fan I had ordered. I told him a spal 8’ but it had not arrived. He told me to hang on a second goes into his shop and comes back with a new spal 8’ he had and started fabing up a custom mount for it on my intercooler. Awesome! He tells me just to give him mine when it shows up! I pulled the intercooler for him and he cut, bent and welded a custom shroud to my intercooler in a few minutes. I wish I could weld like that…..

I reinstalled it and we went to the dyno. 3rd pull hitting 7.37 at peak then taper to 6.5 at redline resulted in 410rwhp and 334rwtq. Next pull the boost only peaked at 6.8psi then tapered down to 6.2 for 399rwhp. Damn MBC. Anyway we decided to pack it in until I install the Greddy Profec.

I installed my Greddy Profec B Spec 2 yesterday and plan on wrapping up next weekend for a final session at 8 psi. The plan is to have a lo setting of 6psi and a hi of 8.

I am curious as to why your boost goes up and then fades? Why would an electronic boost controller do any better than a manual boost controller. Perhaps there is a leak somewhere in the piping or BOV??????:confused:

I am curious as to why your boost goes up and then fades? Why would an electronic boost controller do any better than a manual boost controller. Perhaps there is a leak somewhere in the piping or BOV??????:confused:

Some manual boost controllers are better than others, especially at low boost, my car does exactly what Gary describes sometimes (it is only a 1psi fluctuation) but it does not bother me.

Electronic boost controllers are able to (sometimes) compensate for this by adjusting the boost on the fly by way of stepper motor or continually variable solenoid.

The heat soak problem is a symptom that I have found to be isolated to running on the dyno in very hot conditions - on the street you should not need the fan although it can't hurt - I have run on the street on the hottest days and the charge temps never get excessively hot.

I use a fan to blow at an angle through the intercooler and spray it down with water on the dyno.

If you really wanted to add a kick to the intercooler you could add a second meth jet before the I/C.

Got a ride in an AP-X turbo today. All I can say is WOW! That thing is awesome! Feels totally different than a competch. CTSC feels like a V8, AP-X feels like a V6 turbo. TQ comes on hard and keeps coming. Very sweet. Felt stronger than my BBSC -- same HP, 40 more TQ.

The only downside I found was the smell. With Cats it would be perfect.

Last edited:
The AP-X turbo project is going pretty well. Over the weekend I removed and replaced the front stock header. What a crap job that was. I am really GLAD I did it because it helped me learn more about my car. Was it worth 12 hours of my time? I think so however next time someone else can do it. The 2002 stock exhaust bolted up perfectly and since it was taken off the car in only 4k miles it was nearly new.

Today I removed the heat shield under the trunk, cleaned it, marked it and cut it with my air tool. Piece of cake. Then I cut off the exhaust hanger and drilled the hole for the Turbo mounting bracket. I worked at a slow pace since my 5 1/2 year old wanted to help and my wife kept asking me to do stuff. She did remark that I was not as dirty.

I watched some youtube videos on clocking a turbo. I loosely connected the y pipe with 2 bolts and a heavy zip tie. I then proceeded to hold up the turbo and mark it with a pen as to which end pointed up and roughly where the oil inlet had to point and where the dump tube had to be. This was pretty strait forward and I clocked the turbo about 90% correct. There will be minor adjustments made before the final mount.

My final work was removing the stock air filter and box. No brainer there.

This project can be a bit confounding and frustrating. I cut my big toe pretty bad while trying to remove an o2 sensor and my forearms feel like leather. Since I have never done a project like this, others with more experience would have probably avoided these minor pitfalls.

The dentist in the house next door is pretty much like WTF are you doing to your car??????????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Back