• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

Having a shop of your own makes things a lot easier, plus when you got two other guys working for ya makes it a lot easier too!

For next time though, I'll take the oil pan off first to get it welded, versus doing everything else. I would've saved an hour if I had taken off the pan first and kept wrenching at everything else ha ha

Wil,
Do you have any pics of this set up? and how much?
Thanks,
Gary

I don't have pics since the car is not here, I will try getting some. All I did was add cats to the out outlet of magnaflow, since I can do this in the jig it is not too hard. I will try to come up with a price.

Wow, this must be some kind of record. Turbo shows up in the box at 11:45am and the car is running by dark!

I would love to see some pics of your install Brian.

Wow long, but very good blog.
I am a chiropractor and acupuncturist; I have no mechnical skills what so ever and I dont own the specialized tools my-self (I do have mechanical friends with tools). Due to the fact that I refused a breathalizer it seems as though I will not driving for a while (1 year)-so I am thinking about doing this project myself.
I just sold a 91 NSX and I now have a 2005 NSX-T. A SOS clutch should be here tuesday- i cant believe it went out with 22,000 miles. It is a manual that is basically stock.
Is there a contact in Colorado that has the Ap-X system? What is the current kit price? and finally do you guys feel like baby sitting a total newbie?

I am a chiropractor and acupuncturist; I have no mechnical skills what so ever and I dont own the specialized tools my-self (I do have mechanical friends with tools). Due to the fact that I refused a breathalizer it seems as though I will not driving for a while (1 year)-so I am thinking about doing this project myself.
I just sold a 91 NSX and I now have a 2005 NSX-T. A SOS clutch should be here tuesday- i cant believe it went out with 22,000 miles. It is a manual that is basically stock.
Is there a contact in Colorado that has the Ap-X system? What is the current kit price? and finally do you guys feel like baby sitting a total newbie?

Doc, my kit is specifically designed to be installed by DIY'ers with basic tools - an install was just successfully completed by kookoo4nsx, he has previously never attempted more than an oil change!!!

Current kit pricing is $6795 comlplete and I am always available for tech support.

Last edited:
Doc,

I just completed my install. I usually pay professionals to do things like this however I also enjoy a challange. My garage is messy, most of my tools are just a mish mosh of brands. Everything from Craftsman to harbor frieght.

If you take your time it's just like a big puzzle. Everything fit perfect. There were a couple of head scratching moments but nothing someone with street smarts and an 8th grade education couldn't tackle. Various photos, emails and pm's from other AP-X'ers kept me from getting frustrated. I did have a mechanic friend on standby but I never called him. My buddies that came over were all like "WTF" are you doing to your car?!?!?!

I double checked everything and she fired right up and drives fine. I am just putting a few miles on before the tune to make sure there are no issues. Of course without a tune I have to stay completely out of boost.

I've been in contact with a few tuners and will put something together soon. The only issue is I have business trip to the Florida Key's next week so the tune may happen after that.

I'm a mechanic, and I own a shop, I did this install in a matter of hours. The way that angus/Wil does the oil pan would have made my install faster, but I had never done that way, so I had to add an hour for taking the oil pan off to get a fitting welded.

Though I am 100% sure I could've done it Wil's way. I just got the email after the oil pan was already off lol.

Had I done it Wil's way, then it definitely would've been faster. Also as kookoo4nsx/Brian who gave me some pictures from Gary did help a lot.

The kit is very easy to install, I don't know about a person without ANY mechanically abilities, but for me, it was only a matter of hours. I think for any DIY'er, I would maybe a weekend, at most.

Ha ha but is this good for someone who refused a breathalizer (sp??)? jk jk

:tongue:

-Steve

Last edited:
Hey Wil, I understand your kit is complete with everything for just under
$7k. Is there a way to get it safely tuned for a 95 manual before you ship it out. By safe, I mean stock motor without having to make any modifications.

By tuning, we mean having the kit fully installed and taking it to a "tuner" The tuner will put your car on a dyno and run it through a series of tests and then adjust your fuel and timing.

Do a youtube search on NSX Turbo and you will see what I mean.

Hey Wil, I understand your kit is complete with everything for just under
$7k. Is there a way to get it safely tuned for a 95 manual before you ship it out. By safe, I mean stock motor without having to make any modifications.

It is necessary to tune the car on the dyno, no matter what people will tell you to sell their stuff, this is the best way to do it, and the safest, each car is slightly different.

Tuning is $350 if you bring it to me.

Actually I just realized there is another owner in Colorado that has the kit, I know that he has a auto service shop so he could possibly do the install, at least he could offer you advice. I'll get you his info.

I think Wil is referring to me. I have a shop in southern Colorado and would be happy to give any advice and or do the install.

Well, Just wanted to give props to Will for the costumer service so far.

He has been very helpfull, We are trying to work around the Taitec diffuser so it can have the center exit exhaust, just like when the car was N/A.
We end up deciding that the borla exhaust will be better suited for it, Also decided for the SS line, and the 4" intake, and I will be running my 4088R turbo with the kit and I will be using AEM EMS and AEM water/meth.

My kit wont be installed for a couple months since there is a few more stuff I have to do to the car underneath, plus is down for the winter anyways.

But, I will take tons of pics of the install.

Thansk again Will.

-MSR

For those that wonder what difference a turbo can make, well here's the proof. I babied the car off the line so my times could probably be closer to 12 flat if I let it rip. My car is nearly 100% stock and those that know me can attest. I am really pleased with the timeslips.

scan0008.jpg

My last trap times done the month before the turbo install were roughly 13.80sec @99-101 in Florida heat.

After the turbo I can now "Hang" with V10 M5's, AMG Mercedes, Shelby 500 gt's etc's. The car is serious fast on boost but is TOTALLY streetable around town. I have the FI/C with no issues at startup through redline. Anyone on the fence about using this kit can PM me.

Brian

Last edited:
For those that wonder what difference a turbo can make, well here's the proof. I babied the car off the line so my times could probably be closer to 12 flat if I let it rip. My car is nearly 100% stock and those that know me can attest. I am really pleased with the timeslips.

scan0008.jpg

My last trap times done the month before the turbo install were roughly 13.80sec @99-101 in Florida heat.

After the turbo I can now "Hang" with V10 M5's, AMG Mercedes, Shelby 500 gt's etc's. The car is serious fast on boost but is TOTALLY streetable around town. I have the FI/C with no issues at startup through redline. Anyone on the fence about using this kit can PM me.

Brian

Wow Brian, I just noticed your 60' times, if you had better traction, you could go a lot quicker.

Back