• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ask Prime

I was watching tennis the other day and was wondering how the ball tracking technology works when a player challenges if a ball was in/out.

I think it's called instant replay.:wink::biggrin:

Refrigerator is spelled as such. However, when we shorten refrigerator, we call it a fridge. If fridge is just short for refrigerator, where does the “d” come from in fridge?

What are the winning numbers for tonight's California Lotto?

Refrigerator is spelled as such. However, when we shorten refrigerator, we call it a fridge. If fridge is just short for refrigerator, where does the “d” come from in fridge?

One of those peculiarities of English. English has so many variances and exceptions, it's hard to think that it has any rules at all. But in this case -- shortening the name to "frige" would induce a long i sound. Dropping the final e would turn the g into a hard g sound (as in "egg"). You could change the g to a j to achieve the proper effect --- but "frij" does not look like an English word (looks rather Dutch to me).

So, the only recourse to keep the desired sound and still appear English-esque is to add a d. This puts sufficient separation between the i and final e as to not induce it to go long, and instead change the hard g to a soft g sound.

Last edited:
One of those peculiarities of English. English has so many variances and exceptions, it's hard to think that it has any rules at all. But in this case -- shortening the name to "frige" would induce a long i sound. Dropping the final e would turn the g into a hard g sound (as in "egg"). You could change the g to a j to achieve the proper effect --- but "frij" does not look like an English word (looks rather Dutch to me).

So, the only recourse to keep the desired sound and still appear English-esque is to add a d. This induces sufficient separation between the i and final e as to not induce it to go long, and instead change the hard g to a soft g sound.

Oh Bob, you are so learned! Great answer. :smile:

Then perhaps can you tell me what causes some people to shiver when they pee? Are you one of the few, the proud, pee shiverers? :biggrin:

Thinking caps time, now. I’ve thought of writing Ask Marilyn with this one.
Have you ever noticed what happens when there is a puddle of water or spot of grease lying in a one-way lane? Cars will roll over the spot and pick up some of it, carry it around on the tire, and then “print” another spot about 6 ft away.
Or, at least, that’s what should happen. What actually does happen is that the spot gets printed, after many cars have passed, about one foot away. And then, after another foot, another print. And so on. I don’t have any pictures of this phenomenon but I see it all the time.
Next time you cross the road, look at the tar spots that have been picked up, and you’ll see. Note the distance from the first print to the source.
The obvious answer is that smaller tires will do that. But one-foot-in-circumference tires? How many tiny-tired things are rolling down the street?
There could be some sort of sophisticated transference between vehicles of varying tire sizes, picking up transferred spots and then laying them down in odd patterns. But it doesn’t explain how the initial print gets made a foot (or so) away.
Think I’m kidding? Check for yourself. You’ll never look at an expansion joint or a road kill the same way again.

How can we have the word "nonchalant" when there is no such word as "chalant?":confused:

How do they get deer to crosss the road at those yellow signs?:confused:

Why do we drive on the Parkway and park in the Driveway?

What is the real reason Ken Sax left Prime? And how could he stay away?

If George W Bush said he was the "decider" was Dick Chaney the President?

Last edited:
Back