• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA

You are sort of mistaken. T-Mobile's 4g network is basically the same as ATT's 3g network. Both are now using HSPA+. T-mobile does not have any LTE networks that verizon has launched. AT&T is getting ready to roll out LTE as well.

4g is a mess of marketing garbage right now. It makes no sense. ATT started marketing their phones as 4g just because T-mobile was saying they were now 4g using basically the same technology they already had.

IMO, LTE is the next gen.. though according to the officials, it is still not fast enough to be called 4g.

Good to know. I figured the 4G BS was just a marketing scheme to charge more.

You are sort of mistaken. T-Mobile's 4g network is basically the same as ATT's 3g network. Both are now using HSPA+. T-mobile does not have any LTE networks that verizon has launched. AT&T is getting ready to roll out LTE as well.

4g is a mess of marketing garbage right now. It makes no sense. ATT started marketing their phones as 4g just because T-mobile was saying they were now 4g using basically the same technology they already had.

IMO, LTE is the next gen.. though according to the officials, it is still not fast enough to be called 4g.

That is not true. After speaking with my cousin who is a design engineer at Sierra Wireless, HSP+ is one of the fastest networks available. It can run 42mbs (as fast as a cable modem). That's one of the reasons I use the T-Mobile HSP+ network on the G2 and get 3 to 4 mbs regularly, way better than any other network I can find in my area. This to me is one of the main reasons why ATT wants TM. Bad for TM users, good for ATT users.

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/03/t-mobile-lights-up-hspa-42-mbps-in-las-vegas-new-york-and-orlando/

Last edited:
That is not true. After speaking with my cousin who is a design engineer at Sierra Wireless, HSP+ is one of the fastest networks available. It can run 42mbs (as fast as a cable modem). That's one of the reasons I use the T-Mobile HSP+ network on the G2 and get 3 to 4 mbs regularly, way better than any other network I can find in my area. This to me is one of the main reasons why ATT wants TM. Bad for TM users, good for ATT users.

http://www.dailytech.com/TMobiles+4G+Claims+Infuriate+ATT/article18508.htm

HSPA+ is an advanced wireless technology designed to deliver faster download speeds over traditional 3G. It's not quite a 4G technology -- WiMAX, UMB, and LTE are the "true" 4G options -- but it's more advanced than traditional 3G. It does however work on existing 3G networks, and only requires a relatively simple firmware update to towers, in many cases.

So what's AT&T's problem? T-Mobile, the nation's fourth largest carrier has been busy spreading HSPA+ coverage across the Northeastern United States. Now it claims that it is delivering "4G" speeds. Neville Ray, senior vice president of Engineering and Operations for T-Mobile writes in a release, "Our competitors are asking consumers to pay more for faster wireless service with limited coverage and very few capable devices. In contrast, T-Mobile is already delivering 4G speeds today to customers and we continue to make major leaps in expanding our HSPA+ mobile broadband footprint."

AT&T believes T-Mobile's statements are misinformation intended to fool news writers and consumers. AT&T Mobility spokesperson Seth Bloom comments, "I think that companies need to be careful that they're not misleading customers by labeling HSPA+ as a 4G technology. We aren't labeling those technologies as 4G."

The wireless standard community seems to side with AT&T on this issue. They typically refer to LTE as 4G successor to GSM (3G) while referring to HSPA+ with stop-gap terms like 3.5G or "advanced 3G." AT&T is working on coming up with a plan to deploy LTE, but is first focusing on beefing up its 3G network. Once those infrastructure improvements are complete it too will complete a quick HSPA+ update to improve the experience while customers await true 4G.

However, it won't be calling HSPA+ “4G” -- it will be calling it HSPA+.

T-Mobile's HSPA+ service is currently available in New York City metropolitan area, including New Jersey and Long Island, as well as Upstate New York (Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse); Connecticut (Hartford, New Haven, Milford and Stamford); Providence, R.I.; Memphis, Tenn.; Las Vegas; Philadelphia and the Washington, D.C. suburbs. It has no publicly discussed plans to deploy WiMAX or LTE, as of yet.

HSPA+ isn't just a firmware update in some cases, though. Sometimes it requires more fiber to be laid to the tower to support the higher transmission rates. T-Mobile is working on this to add more HSPA+ -- a spokesperson says, "Over the next few weeks, we'll continue to put the necessary .
backhaul in place in these locations to complete the upgrade. T-Mobile expects to have fiber backhaul in place in more than 100 metropolitan areas by the end of the year."

The funny thing is now ATT is calling their HSPA 4g..:biggrin:

Last edited:
Good to know. I figured the 4G BS was just a marketing scheme to charge more.

Sort of. They are offering higher performance in the areas they have it. It can be faster than other networks in the area, so you are getting faster speeds... but LTE has been long looked at as the true 4g technology.

So basically Tmobile is offering fast speeds... but it is still based on 3G technology.

Show me where it says we'll be paying more for it. :rolleyes:

Do you really think they are going to say up front they are going to raise your rates?? It happens every time there is a buyout like this. Less competition means higher rates.

Do you really think they are going to say up front they are going to raise your rates?? It happens every time there is a buyout like this. Less competition means higher rates.

True but thats for new customers. You can keep your current plan. I pay $42 a month by splitting my family plan. I have unlimited tex/internet and role over min that I have never gone over.

True but thats for new customers. You can keep your current plan. I pay $42 a month by splitting my family plan. I have unlimited tex/internet and role over min that I have never gone over.

They may not raise your rates at the beginning but it will happen.

Will you adopt me?

And me too:biggrin:

Simple economics, really. Any economic class teaches that the fewer competition there are, the more the consumers will pay. Demand versus supply, fundamental principles.

Thank You.:smile: Someone else who paid attention in their economics class. What I learned 30 years ago still applies today and will continue in the future.

disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

What sucks is that when you're an AT&T customer everytime you change your sim card for any reason you have to change your plan to one they are offering at the time. If 2 years from now an ex T-mobile customer, that was gradfathered into AT&T with his/her current T-mobile plan rate/unlimited data usage, will lose his phone he will have to go on one of the current AT&T plans just because he needs a new sim card.

What sucks is that when you're an AT&T customer everytime you change your sim card for any reason you have to change your plan to one they are offering at the time. If 2 years from now an ex T-mobile customer, that was gradfathered into AT&T with his/her current T-mobile plan rate/unlimited data usage, will lose his phone he will have to go on one of the current AT&T plans just because he needs a new sim card.

That wasn't my experience at all. When I lost my Cingular Razor, it was replaced by an AT&T Razor. AT&T just sent me my new phone with the sim card programed for my number. I didn't have to resign anything, and my Cingular plan (free nights and weekends with a pile of features) stayed in tact until I decided to toss the ancient Razor and upgrade to a smartphone.

P

That wasn't my experience at all. When I lost my Cingular Razor, it was replaced by an AT&T Razor. AT&T just sent me my new phone with the sim card programed for my number. I didn't have to resign anything, and my Cingular plan (free nights and weekends with a pile of features) stayed in tact until I decided to toss the ancient Razor and upgrade to a smartphone.

P

Same with me I have had the same plan for the past 6-7 years? (From Cingular) I have changed providers (AT&T buying out Cingular), sim cards, got new phone every 1-2 years (broke a few razors LOL) You don't have to sign a new contract if you pay full price for your phone. I have been able to get a new phone at discounted rate without signing a new contract by just renewing the old contract for another two years.

Thank You.:smile: Someone else who paid attention in their economics class. What I learned 30 years ago still applies today and will continue in the future.

But even simple economics seems to be up for debate as well.

Just look at the Gas Prices/National Debt/Political threads of the past. :biggrin:

Same with me I have had the same plan for the past 6-7 years? (From Cingular) I have changed providers (AT&T buying out Cingular), sim cards, got new phone every 1-2 years (broke a few razors LOL) You don't have to sign a new contract if you pay full price for your phone. I have been able to get a new phone at discounted rate without signing a new contract by just renewing the old contract for another two years.

Maybe it only applies very outdated plans...

But even simple economics seems to be up for debate as well.

Just look at the Gas Prices/National Debt/Political threads of the past. :biggrin:

I wouldn't say the National Debt or maybe even Gas Prices are simple economics. There are MANY factors to those problems. As stated by NsXMas and myself, less competition means higher prices. That is simple economics and that will never change.

Back