• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Audi quote on future manual transmission offering

Heinz Hollerweger, managing director of Quattro GmbH said the new R8, unlike the current car, is unlikely to feature the option of a manual gearbox. "There is almost no desire from our customers to have a manual gearbox," Heinz told TG. "In the R8, the take-up of manual gearboxes is currently less than five per cent."

I thought this interesting as we see a lot of posts that rue Honda's choice of a DSG in the new NSX.
Audi has been offering both types of transmission in the R8 but only sees 5 % of R8 owners opting for a true manual.
It's no wonder the industry is leaving it behind.

We all Ferrari has already done this eliminated manual gearbox on its cars

Last edited:
Yes, and try and find a good price on a manual R8! If you have one, they are up in value. Even the V8 Manuals are up in value. The aftermarket value on a manual R8 has created a demand that gets a big price.

but only sees 5 % of R8 owners opting for a true manual.

except it's not owners opting but factory/dealers pushing more expensive option, they have to charge for R&D of that DSG

if it was really owners opting you wouldn't have MT used cars going UP in price, being those Ferrari/Porsche/BMW doesn't matter

except it's not owners opting but factory/dealers pushing more expensive option, they have to charge for R&D of that DSG
if it was really owners opting you wouldn't have MT used cars going UP in price, being those Ferrari/Porsche/BMW doesn't matter

It's interesting that you can go to the Audi website today , spec out a 6 speed manual R8, and presumably order it.
Doesn't sound like the 6 speed is not being made available.

With only 5 % of the R8's available with a MT I'm not surprised they are appreciating.
They are the lowest cost R8's in the used car market so wouldn't you expect the demand for them would be strong?

Audi (or Honda, or Ferrari, etc.) aren't concerned with who buys their cars second hand. only when they're bought new. if Audi is selling less than 5% manual motorcars, it really isn't worth their time or money. Ferrari sold less than 2% manual 430's, and hence the 458 was never offered with it.

the difference is the current transmission in the R8 isn't amazing, I'd probably go for the manual if given the choice? probably? in the 458, I'd choose the DCT box even if they offered a manual...

Manual lovers are a dying breed not only in the US but Europe as well, and the sales and Ferrari and Porsches decision to not equip the 458 and GT3 with manuals (arguably THE benchmark for driver cars) says a lot.

We can kick and scream our displeasure but the reality is younger people don't know how to drive stick, no one teaches them, and manuals are antiquated compared to DCT and modern automatics.

Unfortunately manual transmissions will go the path of the carburetor...

Unfortunately manual transmissions will go the path of the carburetor...

For those who mourn the passing of the manual consider us old guys.
We had to mourn the passing of the column shifter (3 or 4 on the tree), ignition points, carburetors, drum brakes, and so on.

With the shifter moving to the floor from the steering column there were those who complained about having to reach further and shift slower.
This despite with a worn column linkage there was so much play that you missed shifts all the time.
I wonder how many of those complaining about the demise of the manual shifter would like to go back to filing ignition points and tuning carburetors.

Today's complainers have always had company over the years as technology progressed.

Last edited:
A manual shifter goes away, lap times drop and MPGs rise. I love driving a manual, but don't think I will ever purchase another car that has one. Keep an old car around for the nastlgia, but face reality and stop bitching about progress. It makes you sound like a bitter old fart.

Keep an old car around for the nastlgia, but face reality and stop bitching about progress. It makes you sound like a bitter old fart.

Wow what a harsh comment
I started the thread to point out to those critical of Honda's choice to go DCT, that no one is buying manuals anymore.
I further commented tongue in cheek how ridiculous some of the complaints have been about technological gains

Perhaps you didn't understand my comment but judging by your spelling you may be have a literacy issue.

A manual shifter goes away, lap times drop and MPGs rise. I love driving a manual, but don't think I will ever purchase another car that has one. Keep an old car around for the nastlgia, but face reality and stop bitching about progress. It makes you sound like a bitter old fart.
Well said. Which is why i'm happy with my NSX and (NSX-antithesis) for manual cars, and have a DCT E90 M3 for a daily.

albeit not always, and sometimes at a significant weight(and even aero since it protrudes more under the car) penalty (e.g. 40 kg as with BMW F80 M3), not to mention reliability issues
Almost always at a significant weight gain due to its complexity and additional gears, however i'm not sure about your statement that they protrude further under the car than a standard manual since every DCT car ive seen is flush with the bottom of the car with no aero impact. I'm also not aware of significant reliability issues either.

It's interesting that you can go to the Audi website today , spec out a 6 speed manual R8, and presumably order it.
Doesn't sound like the 6 speed is not being made available.

Yes, but they're moving to a new platform next year which is when it's expected that the only option will be the S-Tronic.

Manual made a lot of sense with the older R8's that had the R-Tronic because it was such a terrible transmission. The new S-Tronic has had rave reviews … but also adds a significant premium to the price of the car.

My understanding is manuals are still vastly more popular in Europe than autos.

I think this was due to MT's getting better MPG's. Fuel is bloody expensive in Europe. CVT's, DCT's etc are putting up higher MPG's, and even lap times, I'm sure the European's are taking note.

And with all of the major European MFRs ditching the MT in their sports cars, not even the "fun factor" seems to be enough to keep them around.

As mentioned above, the only thing that will keep the MT around are paying customers. Anyone wishing the MT wouldn't die but then go ahead and buy anything but a MT aren't really practicing what they preach.

I'll be buying 3 pedal cars as long as I have 2 legs and 2 arms.

Lucas

Last edited:
Given how good the DCTs are now, they are the only choice for those seeking fastest lap times or quarter mile bragging rights.

But for the enthusiast, who enjoys squeezing out a good lap in a manual, the joy of thinking "that was all me!" trumps the question "was that me or the car?"

Given how good the DCTs are now, they are the only choice for those seeking fastest lap times or quarter mile bragging rights.

But for the enthusiast, who enjoys squeezing out a good lap in a manual, the joy of thinking "that was all me!" trumps the question "was that me or the car?"

You still turned the wheel, modulated the brakes and gas, and told the DCT when to shift right? So it's a clutchless shift versus a left foot action.

You still turned the wheel, modulated the brakes and gas, and told the DCT when to shift right? So it's a clutchless shift versus a left foot action.

exactly... there's just something about a perfect heel toe downshift revmatch modulate the gas that you lose with the DCT... the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself! My DCT car has 200hp more than the NSX but isn't as satisfying to drive. Exhilarating yes, but sterile.

Last edited:
Has not been in a long time. I'd agree that relative to the states, Europe has more manuals, but look at the statistics and autos well outsell manuals (by over 5:1 iirc)

Very interesting. My wife is French and whenever we are over there all I see is manuals- probably just perception error. Also the car we keep at our Paris apartment is a manual- a little Renault diesel lol.

Has not been in a long time. I'd agree that relative to the states, Europe has more manuals, but look at the statistics and autos well outsell manuals (by over 5:1 iirc)

Used to be manual trans got better fuel economy (+performance) vs auto....now, it's a toss up or the edge going to the auto esp dual clutch.

Back