• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bad luck or what

Just had my car towed again because my throttle cable snapped. This the second time my throttle cable snapped on the road. The first time I was on the express lane during rush hour in Chicago, that was a nightmare. I've also been stranded because of an electrical short, and another time my clutch pedal stopper disintegrated. Funny thing about that time was I was on the way back from the dealer after purchasing a new stopper, but decided to stop at the dry cleaners before going home. So 4 times in 4 years of ownership, only 7k miles driven. Never been stranded with any other of my cars in 20 years of driving. Just sucks because I really like the car, but really not sure if I can deal with another issue. The car is just too freaking old.

IMG_0090.JPG

That sucks to hear. From what I have experienced and from what i've heard from others, these car are extremely reliable. I've owned mine for almost 5 years and 20K miles, never broke down once.

That being said, I i'm diligent about preventative maintenance and addressing any items that could cause a stranded situation. I have replaced many components that were still functional because they are documented failure points.

In your particular case, you should look into why the cable has snapped twice. I would not consider this a "common" problem, and the fact that it has happened to you twice in 7K means that there is another problem.

Things happen, it’s expected of a car that is 28 years old. That’s why I have AAA, $99/year 1-200 mile tow and 2-100 mile rows a year. Also other discounts that come with being a member

I have had three early model NSX's over the last 16 years and never had one of them break down on the road on me.

Raced on the track in Palm Springs during NSXPO in 110° heat and never even had the temp gauge go up past halfway on my 128k mile 1992 after running it hard all day at Thermal ....these cars are bulletproof as long as they're kept up usually

Sucks, but sounds like the previous owner might have ran the thing into the ground or maybe the guy doing the work on the car doesn't know what he's doing.... Throttle cables snapping twice in 7k miles???

how many miles do you have on the car?

Last edited:
In your particular case, you should look into why the cable has snapped twice. I would not consider this a "common" problem, and the fact that it has happened to you twice in 7K means that there is another problem.

I was thinking the same thing. A throttle cable failure on a 28 year old vehicle is reasonable. The second failure within 7000 miles strikes me as an assembly error or defective cable. The clutch interlock switch button is a bit like the Main FI relay. Its a known problem. As an aside, with about 100 cm of wire there is an easy work around to starting the car if the button does drop out.

But, it is a 28 year old vehicle and failures will likely only increase. Selling prices are probably as good as they have ever been so perhaps time to move on to something newer.

The black cars are cursed...

Something is wrong. Request the old throttle cable, post pictures. They should never break.

Do you have more information on the following incidents?

> electrical short,

>and another time my clutch pedal stopper disintegrated.

That sounds like more than bad luck.... it sounds like bad servicing.
My $0.02.

H-

The first failure happened at 91k miles. Given the age and miles of the car, that's understandable. But the other issue is the OEM throttle cable is discountinued from Honda. WTF.

So after the first failure I towed my car to the closest Acura dealer in Chicago. I ordered a new reproduction throttle cable from A.S. motorsports and figure it was a easy fix. Well the Chicago dealer messed up the install, lost the clip that clips the cable to the pedal and tried to blame it on my non-OEM cable as not fitting. Well long story short I ended up towing my car from the dealer in Chicago to Acura of Brookfield in WI; sourced a replacement clip and used oem throttle cable with 70k miles on it to avoid any issues.

I can 100% say it was not an install issue, the guys at Brookfield are pro's at servicing NSX's. It's just because I chose to use a used cable. It's just a shame because there so many cars with 100k+ mile still on the original cable. Lesson learned, this time around, I'm going to use a new non-OEM cable.

The throttle cable should not break under normal circumstances. Something is wrong.

Part is still available new, as are all the clips and everything else. You, yourself, will have to start supplying parts and knowlege to the people working on your car.
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/17910sl0013

The problem with older cars is that you need to take a super active approach to maintenance and parts supply. Anybody can use a new car, which is why they are so common. It takes time/ability/skill to keep older cars going, which is why they get rare.

I have found only one non-cosmetic/essential part to be out of production (the oil cooler), everything else has not been a problem.

Part is still available new, as are all the clips and everything else. You, yourself, will have to start supplying parts and knowlege to the people working on your car.
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/17910sl0013

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted. New OEM cable. Damn didn't think of searching amayama. Would have saved me alot of headache.

Yea I'm gonna have them look into, to see if it's something that's causing the cables to break.

Sorry that you're having trouble. You may want to conduct a "Health Check" to figure out what parts should be replaced now, which ones should be checked frequently, and which ones should be scheduled for a service at a future date. This is the list that I used when I bought my car-3rd post down by mwagner.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/199683-Good-maintenance-fix-recommendations

If you can do any maintenance yourself-do so! The NSX is as rewarding to work on as it is to drive.

Sorry to hear about your NSX dude. Hope you can get the car on the road soon for some meet ups this year.

If you can do any maintenance yourself-do so! The NSX is as rewarding to work on as it is to drive.

Mmmm, rewarding is not necessarily the adjective that comes to my mind; but, I am old and increasingly inflexible and anything under the dash causes knots in my neck muscles just thinking about it (really hate the clutch interlock switch button). I would expect that given its length and routing, throttle cable replacement on the NA1 cars would be a non trivial exercise.

I hope you replace it with a new one, then take some time to look at common failures. A few that come to mind are main relay, ignition switch, brake/clutch switch stoppers, etc... Most of these are fairly inexpensive, still available new from Honda, and easy to replace. Well worth the time and money upfront to make sure you have a reliable car moving forward.

I was under the impression that the cable from AS Motorsports was OEM? I bought one a few years back as a spare.

I ordered a new reproduction throttle cable from A.S. motorsports and figure it was a easy fix. Well the Chicago dealer messed up the install, lost the clip that clips the cable to the pedal and tried to blame it on my non-OEM cable as not fitting. Well long story short I ended up towing my car from the dealer in Chicago to Acura of Brookfield in WI; sourced a replacement clip and used oem throttle cable with 70k miles on it to avoid any issues.

Throttle cable you can also get from Adnan, AS Motorsports in NL. It's not OEM, it's exact replica.

Definitely inspect old cable and routing, someone messed it up and it eats your cable.

Last edited:
Finally got my car up and running. So apparently the throttle cable was rubbing against the supercharger housing cause it to break. Glad it's fixed now and I don't have to worry about it again. Also glad to report the A.S. motorsports cable fits fine.

So apparently the throttle cable was rubbing against the supercharger housing cause it to break.

Had to be something, these don't break. Glad it's been figured out for you. Now enjoy it more!

So apparently the throttle cable was rubbing against the supercharger housing cause it to break.
Do you recognize my solution in the pic? I was expecting that there could be a problem in the future. Also, the cable is not in line due to the not ideal mounting position. It's rubbing within the cable in the area under the boot. If it breaks it will break there first. I used grease but I'm certainly not happy with it. This affects ALL CTSC setups. So watch out!

IMG_2962.JPG

Last edited:
Back