• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Been thinking about a Ferrari

Fun to read this thread. As someone who is coming from high school working hard to eventually getting an NSX, my dreams changed a few years after college. I wanted to have a Ferrari and my own plane.

Fast forward, I bought my first real car and modded the thing to no end, an RSX-S with anything I could possibly do to the thing. I then started to look for my next car, an NSX. Well I soon realized I am too tall to sit in one. =( I mean many =(!!!! So I decided to get what I thought was the next best thing in the price range, a perfect 993. Oh my what a fun car. I had also heard all the horror stories about Porsches. I was able to find a local mechanic who could do an oil change cheaper than me and all was great. Then after putting over $10k in modding that toy, the thing was stolen. I figure now I want a car I don't feel like modding and something reliable that I can do all the maintenance on for cheap.

So I am driving an S2000. I want to say its like an NSX in a few ways as it's not exactly a practical car and excels in what it was made to do, and nothing more. But what will my next car be? An F355! I keep reading all of these horror stories about these cars, and I guess maybe that just delays my purchase of one for a few more years as I get my second business off the ground. It's not like you can just mod a Civic to be like a Ferrari and have no problems either, that stupid thing might even be more expensive to maintain. So I don't get the argument.

Like others have said in here, life is way too short, and if you can afford the car, go for it!

I think if Ferrari owners are being real and true to themselves, at heart they want to be seen driving a Ferrari because it is a sign of success that most people perceive they can't afford (second hand modern Ferraris like the 360 are approaching 02+ NSX prices) and an irrational 'dream' to put a Ferrari car in their garage because of an undeserving reputation for a race car company. If you are a true gear head there are much more rewarding driving experiences from companys that respect their customers much more. I would whole-heatedly recommend Lamborghini over Ferrari for 'super car' ownership (if you desire a relatively flamboyant symbol of your success).

I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's how people will perceive it.

I think the same could be said about the NSX. There are far better performing cars out there for the same price that even a '91 NSX will cost you. I didn't buy the NSX b/c I care about a sucessful image, no I bought the NSX, because I have always loved the car. I think it is the same with some Ferrari owners. They bought the car cause of pure enjoyment.

I read somewhere here on Prime that there are 3 types of exotic car drivers

Driver A -- They buy the car as an image booster. The car is like a piece of jewelery. For the most part they care about only what other people think when they see them in their car.

Driver B -- This driver is all about the history and pure heritage of the brand. "Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette" They don't care how good the car is, just the history of the car.

Driver C -- This driver is all about the pure joy in driving their car. They care about the technology, the performance of the car. They don't care about brand or image.

Granted people can fall into more than one category, but its usually those 3 category...

I would seriously advise against Ferrari ownership. Just rent one, even for a week you'll spend maybe 10 grand, but it will be out of your system.

Just weigh the pros and cons.

Pros - it's a decent handling car but let's be real. A 360 is going on 12 years old at this point. There are much faster cars for much cheaper. Chassis and suspension technology has improved. The F1 transmission on that 12 year old car isn't the greatest. It will be a higher sense of 'occasion' driving the Ferrari over the NSX, with the engine noise (with a modified exhaust, stock exhaust doesn't sound that special) and the fact that you are driving a Ferrari, but when it comes right down to it the experience isn't that different.

Cons - biggest for me - attention, get ready for 'how much did this cost you' questions at every gas station. You will get the occasional good conversation with a gear head, but then again more people then you think will mistake the 360 for a corvette.

Maintenance, 3k a year average. Services for F1 transmission will run into the 10 grand area. If anything other needs service expect 10 grand here 10 grand there. It might not sound like a big deal, but your car will be in the shop more then you'd like for more money then is reasonable. Within a year you will find yourself asking 'is this worth it' especially when the driving experience isn't much different then an NSX (let's be honest). In fact with the 360 F1 transmission it is probably worse.

Ferrari as a company also has a reputation it largely doesn't really deserve. They have a culture of treating road car customers badly, overcharging for service and parts, and generally producing cars which under-perform their specifications. Owners swallow it because it is their dream to own a Ferrari, but their road cars are much different then their race cars and ownership, to me, is simply not worth it.

I think if Ferrari owners are being real and true to themselves, at heart they want to be seen driving a Ferrari because it is a sign of success that most people perceive they can't afford (second hand modern Ferraris like the 360 are approaching 02+ NSX prices) and an irrational 'dream' to put a Ferrari car in their garage because of an undeserving reputation for a race car company. If you are a true gear head there are much more rewarding driving experiences from companys that respect their customers much more. I would whole-heatedly recommend Lamborghini over Ferrari for 'super car' ownership (if you desire a relatively flamboyant symbol of your success).

I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's how people will perceive it.

I actually couldnt possibly disagree with the above any more completely! :D

Of course there are surely "posers" in Ferraris, just as with anything else, just as there are "posers" wearing Rolex watches. But I know *a lot* of true Ferrari enthusiasts. Im talking everything from tracking the things to *wrenching* on the older ones.

And here is a secret... There are *just as many* (maybe MORE) "baller on a budget" NSX "posers". Guys who manage to find a beat to shit NSX for $18k and then deliver pizza in it and on the weekend style like a gangsta. There is plenty of that thing with *any* "exotic".

Anything negative about the F360 in terms of age, technology marching on, etc just goes mores so for the NSX. In terms of actual capabilities, it exceeds the NSX in every category.

Costs are definitely high and I think everyone agrees here. Reliability is tricky, but normally really exaggerated, and while it isnt near Honda level, it is also true that these cars are running at 9/10ths most of the time by design (like race cars) and are rarely driven and RARELY maintained right because most who buy them cant really afford them.

I know *real* Ferrari owners (guys that actually HAVE money and dont just pretend to) and their cars are driven regularly and maintained ON TIME and they are fine. Costly... But fine. The cars have gotten a LOT better since the F355.

Attention? The Ferrari is worse than the NSX, but the NSX is *bad*. I *often* miss my 911 where I was invisible, or my Corvette, but I always come back to the NSX because I love it. So while the Ferrari is worse, the NSX is no picnic either (hence drawing so many of those ballers on a budget :D)

Driving experience Ill agree is subjective. To me, the NSX at best *approximates* the Ferrari experience, on a budget, and with less hassle. For others, maybe the NSX experience is *better*. For the OP, I think given his opening post, he's prob more leaning towards my opinion on this ;)

Last edited:
Fun to read this thread. As someone who is coming from high school working hard to eventually getting an NSX, my dreams changed a few years after college. I wanted to have a Ferrari and my own plane.

Fast forward, I bought my first real car and modded the thing to no end, an RSX-S with anything I could possibly do to the thing. I then started to look for my next car, an NSX. Well I soon realized I am too tall to sit in one. =( I mean many =(!!!! So I decided to get what I thought was the next best thing in the price range, a perfect 993. Oh my what a fun car. I had also heard all the horror stories about Porsches. I was able to find a local mechanic who could do an oil change cheaper than me and all was great. Then after putting over $10k in modding that toy, the thing was stolen. I figure now I want a car I don't feel like modding and something reliable that I can do all the maintenance on for cheap.

So I am driving an S2000. I want to say its like an NSX in a few ways as it's not exactly a practical car and excels in what it was made to do, and nothing more. But what will my next car be? An F355! I keep reading all of these horror stories about these cars, and I guess maybe that just delays my purchase of one for a few more years as I get my second business off the ground. It's not like you can just mod a Civic to be like a Ferrari and have no problems either, that stupid thing might even be more expensive to maintain. So I don't get the argument.

Like others have said in here, life is way too short, and if you can afford the car, go for it!

Hi there,

I used to own an S2K for a month and I sold it. I loved it but it was no daily for me because I'm 6'8" and I could not fit. Yet I fit perfectly fine in an NSX. Just how tall are you??

Attention? The Ferrari is worse than the NSX, but the NSX is *bad*. I *often* miss my 911 where I was invisible, or my Corvette, but I always come back to the NSX because I love it. So while the Ferrari is worse, the NSX is no picnic either (hence drawing so many of those ballers on a budget :D)

Love this, it is so true.

I gotta say, the Corvettes ONLY attract attention from Corvette/Chevy/GM fans. Let's face it, there are a bazillion (a unit of measure) Corvettes out there and most people who are not "into" cars will usually walk by any Corvette or even a Porsche. And rightfully so in the case of Corvettes because they are far more affordable than an NSX. Meanwhile, park your Enesexy in front of a coffee/Bagel/Sandwich/Shoe shop and watch people flock to see what it is. People who are not enthusiasts like us (Prime-ates) don't know what this thing is. Hence, you mostly get Corvette fans coming up to you and wondering how you got that engine fitted in the middle of your Corvette...

There is one thing very unique about NSX ownership - when you see one, the owner usually knows everything about the car and didn't buy it just for the "look at me, look at me".

Just got to reading this thread.

I sold my 1991 NSX last fall in search of a "change". I thought a Ferrari was it.

I will preface this by saying I am a powerboat owner, so I know what it's like to own something that you spend more maintaining than any rational person would consider reasonable. To me, the boating experience is justifiable because it's something I can share with family and friends in large numbers.

Always loved the 348 and F355. I spent months researching, test driving, and drooling over F355's and 348's. A 360 was too pricey for me. EVERY car I looked at had receipts for service work amounting to well over half the purchase price of the car. Most every one of these cars needed something (electrics, manifolds, clutches, etc) that would cost thousands of dollars as well. The only turn-key F355 I found, up to date on maintenance, was pushing $70K and the owner had just opened up his wallet to the tune of $20K. Unlike the boat, the car was purely for my enjoyment.

It quickly became clear that while an F355 with a Capristo exhaust was amazing to listen to, and amazing to look at, it wasn't that great to drive. Neither was the 348. Neither car really seemed to be better performing than my NSX, and looking at upkeep costs, I almost felt bad for the sellers because of the money they had sunk into these cars to keep them running properly. In the majority of cases it made me feel like the boat was cheap to own in comparison! Sure there are exceptions, but as others have said, over the course of a few years it's probably cheaper to buy the 360 up front, than pay less for an older car and have it eaten up in maintenance.

Ultimately, I am back in an NSX. A supercharged one. So, I get F360 performance for a 348 price, and reliability and running costs that are far cheaper than any of them. Spend some time looking at Ferraris in-depth, and unless you are an over-the-top enthusiast for the marque, you will come to the same conclusion I did. I love looking at the Ferrari more than the NSX, but I love driving the NSX more than the Ferrari, and since I bought it for me, not for anyone else, it's the driving that matters.

This is about as well put as any I've read! If I wasn't independantly wealthy with tons of fun bucks I wouldn't even think about a Ferrari!

Another thing - most F car owners don't drive them much cause they don't want to have to maintain them and they think that keeping the miles as low as possible keeps the resale up - well maybe but what the heck are you buying a car for - main purpose of one of these great cars is drving it....

Just got to reading this thread.

I sold my 1991 NSX last fall in search of a "change". I thought a Ferrari was it.

I will preface this by saying I am a powerboat owner, so I know what it's like to own something that you spend more maintaining than any rational person would consider reasonable. To me, the boating experience is justifiable because it's something I can share with family and friends in large numbers.

Always loved the 348 and F355. I spent months researching, test driving, and drooling over F355's and 348's. A 360 was too pricey for me. EVERY car I looked at had receipts for service work amounting to well over half the purchase price of the car. Most every one of these cars needed something (electrics, manifolds, clutches, etc) that would cost thousands of dollars as well. The only turn-key F355 I found, up to date on maintenance, was pushing $70K and the owner had just opened up his wallet to the tune of $20K. Unlike the boat, the car was purely for my enjoyment.

It quickly became clear that while an F355 with a Capristo exhaust was amazing to listen to, and amazing to look at, it wasn't that great to drive. Neither was the 348. Neither car really seemed to be better performing than my NSX, and looking at upkeep costs, I almost felt bad for the sellers because of the money they had sunk into these cars to keep them running properly. In the majority of cases it made me feel like the boat was cheap to own in comparison! Sure there are exceptions, but as others have said, over the course of a few years it's probably cheaper to buy the 360 up front, than pay less for an older car and have it eaten up in maintenance.

Ultimately, I am back in an NSX. A supercharged one. So, I get F360 performance for a 348 price, and reliability and running costs that are far cheaper than any of them. Spend some time looking at Ferraris in-depth, and unless you are an over-the-top enthusiast for the marque, you will come to the same conclusion I did. I love looking at the Ferrari more than the NSX, but I love driving the NSX more than the Ferrari, and since I bought it for me, not for anyone else, it's the driving that matters.

Heres a comment from a friend of mines who owns a very nice and superclean 1998 550 Red/Tan Maranello.

"The cost of acquisition is one thing, the cost of maintenance is totally different. So far annual cost of just maintenance is at least $5000.00/year. That said, I am extremely anal about my car so if anything screws up I get it fixed. For example this year, new motor mounts, new trunk switch replace AC line $1800.00. Then AC compressor packs up but because I have an excellent shop that does the work it only costs $475.00 to rebuild the compressor and R&R the unit. Tires set of four $2000.00. Straighten aftermarket light weight 3 piece wheels and mount tires $1070.00. New fog light and R&R bumper to re-paint stone chipped black part of bumper $1100.00 and lastly, replace windshield protective film, $250.00. So 7 months into this year, $6695.00. My NSX was faster and less expensive to own. Pride of ownership my ass."
No clutch yet, I did have the 30K maintenance done last year, that was $5200.00 all in. I also replaced my plug wires (if I used OEM Ferrari they would have been $1700.00 + installation) for $250.00 + 3 hours of work. Oil changes happen every 5K miles and my cost on parts is $178.00/change. 2 filters, $65.00 + 14 qts. Mobile 1 oil $113.00 and I do that twice a year. I also forgot, I have a detail guy do the detail on a monthly basis for $200.00/month.
You just reminded me, I also got a spare engine for the 550M in December 09. add another 5K (yes it was a steal which is why I picked it up)."

When my other friend gets back from vacation I will find out how much his maintenance has been of his 430 Scuderia and the F40 annually.

I know on the F40, one guy bought a low mileage garage queen from auction then found out it needed to get rebuilt for sitting so long. The rebuild cost the guy $80,000.

I believe the Scuderia has been nothing but oil changes at 300-400 per oil change. Will verify when he gets back from vacation.

I think its all relative here.....guys who make enough money to own Ferraris and Lambos understand that this is the cost of owning and maintaining them. Just like the NSX it cost more to own or maintain then lets say a Mustang for example.

Last edited:
Back